Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
IC@KJV IC@KJV is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9
Question New Here. Which Kjv Bible To Use??

Hello!

I am new to reading the KJV Bible, and I read from these posts that the Nelson KJV isnt the "right" one as they have alexandrian tendencies. (Nelson KJV is the one I have).

So my question is this: Which KJV Bible is best to use (cambridge, oxford, etc...)?? where can I buy it??

I would like a larger Bible, with bigger letters and words of Christ in red. So can someone please point me in the direction that I need to go.

Also is there a book, dictionary, etc... that I can use with the KJV?? (something other then swordsearcher).

Thank You

God Bless
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #2  
Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
MC1171611's Avatar
MC1171611 MC1171611 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Ohio
Posts: 436
Default

Check out Local Church Bible Publishers (http://lcbplansing.org/Home) for good, inexpensive Bibles. I've had their Bibles for years and I'm continually impressed by how high their quality is. They should have something like you're looking for.

As far as other books to use, a Webster's 1828 Dictionary is good to have around, as well as a Strong's or Vine's concordance. The thing to remember, however, is that Scripture is given by inspiration, but not dictionaries or concordances. At the end of the day, the King James Bible should be one's final authority, and not the dictionary's definition or some person's comments on the Scriptures.
  #3  
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default Just an idea here...

Do you have e-sword? It is a free site with some stuff you can buy if you so choose. They give as much away for free if they legally can. You can download the KJV plus the KJV1611 if you like for free. If comes with the KJV in the first download along with Strong's concordance. This gives the definition that come with the definition of the original Hebrew or Greek. You can also download an old Websters Dictionary too, again for FREE! (See why I like it so much?) I am not sure which KJV they use though. I know this is not the Bible you are looking for since you want one you can carry around but I figured it would be good, free study tools so you do not need to purchase a concordance or dictionary. The website is http://e-sword.net
  #4  
Old 11-11-2008, 03:45 AM
stephanos's Avatar
stephanos stephanos is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wenatchee WA
Posts: 885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
Do you have e-sword? It is a free site with some stuff you can buy if you so choose. They give as much away for free if they legally can. You can download the KJV plus the KJV1611 if you like for free. If comes with the KJV in the first download along with Strong's concordance. This gives the definition that come with the definition of the original Hebrew or Greek. You can also download an old Websters Dictionary too, again for FREE! (See why I like it so much?) I am not sure which KJV they use though. I know this is not the Bible you are looking for since you want one you can carry around but I figured it would be good, free study tools so you do not need to purchase a concordance or dictionary. The website is http://e-sword.net
He doesn't need any lexicons!!! The King James Bible defines itself!

IC@KJV Your on a good path friend. MC1171611 gave you great advice. Local Church Bible Publishers sells fantastic Bibles, and the Webster's 1828 Dictionary is a great dictionary, although Bibleprotector would disagree The next book you might want to get is "The Language of the King James Bible" by Gail Riplinger. https://shop.avpublications.com/prod...7ae79061563435 This is a fantastic book will help you see how:

* The King James Bible contains God's Built-in Dictionary, defining each word, in its context, using the very words of the Webster's and Oxford English Dictionaries !

* The King James Bible has a vocabulary and reading level which slowly builds progressively from Genesis to Revelation.

* The King James Bible uses words with the appropriate sound symbolism. It has a vocabulary that phonaesthetically fulfills the Bible's own description of itself as "powerful."

* The King James Bible is the only extant access we have to the pure language lexicons of the 16th and 17th centuries.

* The King James Bible gives a transparent view of the Greek and Hebrew vocabulary, grammar and syntax.

* The King James Bible has internationally recognizable vocabulary and spelling.

* The King James Bible uses literary devices which enhance doctrinally important concepts and memorability.

* The King James Bible has a sentence structure which enhances accurate doctrinal interpretation.

* The King James Bible's words and sentences are patterned and woven through its fabric so as to provide a consistency of form and content.

* The King James Bible has the precision and longevity of the legal document that it is. (To be equitable all English speaking persons must be judged by the same criteria.)



So there you go, with a good Bible, a good dictionary, and Riplinger's book on the KJB's language, you'll be well on your way to being a bonified KJB expert

By the way, welcome to the forums

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen

Last edited by stephanos; 11-11-2008 at 04:09 AM.
  #5  
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Jeff Jeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
I am not sure which KJV they use though. I know this is not the Bible you are looking for since you want one you can carry around but I figured it would be good, free study tools so you do not need to purchase a concordance or dictionary. The website is http://e-sword.net
The "Pure Cambridge Edition" is available for e-Sword (the regular edition just states that it's 1769): www.bibleprotector.com/KJB-PCE_e-sword.zip

One thing I like about the PCE is the paragraph divisions the one included with e-Sword doesn't have.

What I didn't like was a sapce between the name LORD or GOD and the period when the Name was at the end of a sentence so that a verse might end up looking like this:

Quote:
Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor
bear any grudge against the children
of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD
.

(With the period on the next line due to word-wrapping) I was able to fix that for my use with MS Access find and replace.
  #6  
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
He doesn't need any lexicons!!! The King James Bible defines itself!
He asked what a good dictionary would be. Another poster recommended Websters Dictionary. I told him where he could find it. You need to relax. I did not make a negative remark about the KJV so I am not sure why you are trying to defend it.
  #7  
Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 AM
bibleprotector's Avatar
bibleprotector bibleprotector is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
If comes with the KJV in the first download along with Strong's concordance. This gives the definition that come with the definition of the original Hebrew or Greek.
So, the King James Bible doesn't have the full definition of the Hebrew and Greek? And the Strong's lexicon is going to give a better meaning?

No.

stephanos is right:

Quote:
He doesn't need any lexicons!!! The King James Bible defines itself!
  #8  
Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 AM
bibleprotector's Avatar
bibleprotector bibleprotector is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 587
Default

Clearly, the PCE in e-sword was made by a third party. At least we know that the www.swordsearcher.com program is reputable and reliable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
The "Pure Cambridge Edition" is available for e-Sword (the regular edition just states that it's 1769): www.bibleprotector.com/KJB-PCE_e-sword.zip

One thing I like about the PCE is the paragraph divisions the one included with e-Sword doesn't have.

What I didn't like was a sapce between the name LORD or GOD and the period when the Name was at the end of a sentence so that a verse might end up looking like this:



(With the period on the next line due to word-wrapping) I was able to fix that for my use with MS Access find and replace.
  #9  
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
So, the King James Bible doesn't have the full definition of the Hebrew and Greek? And the Strong's lexicon is going to give a better meaning?

No.

stephanos is right:
I stated the Webster's Dictionary was avalable for free. He asked about dictionaries. You really need to take a breather. I know you want to "fight for the Word of God" but there is no attack on it's way from me so RELAX! In no way does using a dictionary threaten the Bible (unless the dictionary lies and most KJVO'ist like old Webster's dictionaries.)
  #10  
Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Just_A_Thought's Avatar
Just_A_Thought Just_A_Thought is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC@KJV View Post
Also is there a book, dictionary, etc... that I can use with the KJV?? (something other then swordsearcher).

Thank You

God Bless
For both posters who went on the offensive for me suggesting a free site and that Websters Dictionary was on it please take note...HE ASKED FOR IT! That is all I have to say. Thank you and have a wonderful day.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com