Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

View Poll Results: should Christians confess their sins?
yes 18 78.26%
yes
18 78.26%
no 2 8.70%
no
2 8.70%
other please comment 3 13.04%
other please comment
3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 AM

Default Should Christians Search their hearts and confess sins?

I would like to see what you all think about this please take poll and give a response. if we sin and seeing our sins are forgiven should we confess them or not?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
I would like to see what you all think about this please take poll and give a response. if we sin and seeing our sins are forgiven should we confess them or not?
Chette, when Jesus Christ died on Calvary for your sins, and before He died he looked forward in time at your birth, your life, and your death, tell me something: At that time that He suffered for your sins and died for them, how many of them were still future?

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 AM

I am seeing where everyone stands on this issue. if you go to the forum on the lord's supper you will know why I am seeking to find out.

you didn't take the poll. I ask that all take the poll and place a comment. if you don't take the poll don't comment. I left a poll slot for you who don't want to say yes or no it is other

Last edited by chette777; 06-09-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

I voted yes.
I confess my sins to God as the Spirit convicts me of them.
I do not do this for salvation whatsoever, I already have that.
Some here have misunderstood another post I made about confession and fellowship with God. I guess I have a hard time expressing myself, and not enough time to make perfect posts, given that I am at the office... that's not an excuse, just a reason.

Confession doesn't alter my position in Christ, it doesn't add to my salvation.
What it does is draws me closer to Him. Like a father correcting his son, when the son admits he is wrong, and seeks to make changes towards the right guidance of the father, it brings the two closer together. I've experienced this with my earthly, physical father, and moreso with my heavenly Father as well.

I would like to quote part of Winman's post from the Lord's Supper thread, which accurately depicts my own belief:

Quote:
The simple fact is, we can and do grieve the Holy Spirit of God, and carrying around habitual sin without confessing it and putting it away is not a good place to be. These sins can not change our blessed position in God's family, but they can still have grave consequences in our daily lives and rob us of our joy. It seems to me that the idea of "fellowship" is part of this passage...

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 1:6-7

It seems to me the context is God's children and sin...

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" I John 2:1

I agree and rejoice with you 100% that positionally we are justified and "it is finished." However, we cannot confuse our positional forgiveness with the need for ongoing forgiveness and cleansing as we stumble in sin. Christians are still quite capable of any sin you can imagine; and that's why the writer of Ephesians mentions putting away bitterness, wrath, and anger, evil speaking etc. and tells his readers to "grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

When I got born again, ALL my sins were forgiven, past present and future, no doubt or question about that.
However, although sin is not imputed to me, I still sin in the flesh. Although I am passed from death into life, from condemnation into eternal life, there is still a penalty to pay for sin here in this present life (examples: 1Ti 3:6, 1 Cor 5:5, 1 Tim 19-20?).
The penalty is often in the form of detriment to your own spiritual growth, and sometimes hinders blessings from the Lord in the believer's life, or there are practical consequences in our lives, none of which changes our eternal destiny.
If I leave my sin unconfessed, it hinders me from a close fellowship, and makes it easier and easier to slip further into more sin. The more I am humble, convicted, contrite and even chastened, the closer I can be with Him.
Just like when I was a child: if I'd done something wrong against my parents, I would feel guilty, and would avoid them until the thing came out in the open and was dealt with. I couldn't fully enjoy the presence of the parent until my guilty conscience was dealt with.

Just like the adage: "Sin will keep you from the Book, but the Book will keep you from sin!"

Pro 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM

I voted yes with the same reason as BABB514's!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM

While we may examine ourselves to make sure we take the Lord’s supper worthily (1 Corinthians 11:27-29) and to see whether we’re in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) it is God who searches the hearts.
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26-28)

…..all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. (Revelation 2:23)

And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever. (1 Chronicles 28:9)

Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart. (Psalm 44:21)

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. (Psalm 139:1)

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: (Psalm 139:23)

I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. (Jeremiah 17:10)
If you have sin in your life the Holy Spirit will reveal it to you
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM

2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

As others said, I believed that salvation is a Gift Received at Christ's Expense.

It is therefore now I have no condemnation. The bible said that I have no "mistakes", "failures" or "sins". Oftentimes, I've stumbled and failed and do sin. Thanks to God, I can come to God and confess all my filthiness to cleanse as I lay them down to Him.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM

I voted "Yes" also.

A few Scriptures...

In the times of Jesus' ministry, believers were encouraged to "confess" their sins. (Matthew 3:6, Mark 1:5)

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. (Romans 6:15)

But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. (Galatians 2:7)

Interestingly, most of the times that the New Testament uses the word "confession" it is not in relation to sin. It is in relation to making a confession of your FAITH. (Romans 10:10 and 1 Timothy 6:13) Also, some uses of the word "confess" is also in relation to faith. (Matthew 10:32, Luke 12:8, John 12:42, Romans 10:9-10, Romans 14:11, Romans 15:9, Philippians 2:11, 1 John 4:2,15)

Oddly enough, one of few Scriptures that state anything about confessing is not truly wrongdoing... it is more of a confession of our weaknesses (faults) - something which we might be inclined to sin in. James 5:16 - Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

But that Scripture refers to confessing FAULTS to ONE ANOTHER, not to God. And the goal of this confession seems to be to PRAY for one another. I think that brings us closer together, as brethren in the Lord, if we can humble ourselves, and admit to our shortcomings with each other, and know that others will be praying for us.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 19:18 - And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
19 - Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

This seems to be talking about people confessing former sinful ways that they had, such as divination (astrology and such), because they burned the books that they had used in their "curious arts." I read somewhere that they also put idols that were made of various materials, into the fire, to melt them - and it totaled up in value to fifty thousand pieces of silver.

It certainly wouldn't seem to hurt us, to humble our pride and admit to things that we have done wrong or have fallen short on. Pride itself can be a sin. So the very thing that may prevent us from confessing sin, is the one that often trips us up!

Jassy
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Bro. Parrish

Chette, I voted yes, I just wanted to clarify for anyone coming from a Catholic background that we are confessing our sins to God and not an earthly priest or "middleman." We Bible believers cut out the middleman a long time ago.

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" 1 John 2:1

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" 1 Timothy 2:5
Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Yes.
I confess my SINS to God.
I confess my FAULTS to a brother/sister whom I have erred against.

I know there are some Protestant "confessionals" going on in Baptist churches and other denominations. Sins are to be confessed directly to God, not to any human priest or Baptist pope. I personally believe that some past sin is better left unsaid (for another person's sake, and not thy own), but all sins ought to be acknowledged before God.