Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Tandi

Default Masoretic Emendations

My friend brings up the question of the Masoretic emendations. How do I answer?

Quote:
The masoretes record 134 instances where they intentionally changed the name of God (YHWH) to Elohim or Adonai in the process of de-anthropomorphizing a text. Often the original placement of YHWH is evident from the LXX or the DSS where the change (a subtraction from the "word of God" if you will) is in the King James...
Shalom,

Tandi
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi's friend
The masoretes record 134 instances where they intentionally changed the name of God (YHWH) to Elohim or Adonai in the process of de-anthropomorphizing a text.
First things first. Ask him precisely and exactly what is recorded by the Masoretes, not what is the Bullinger interpretation of Ginsburg or what is the conjecture or explanation of a higher criticism modern scholar. The primary source info is very helpful when you hit such theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi's friend
Often the original placement of YHWH is evident from the LXX or the DSS where the change (a subtraction from the "word of God" if you will) is in the King James...
First, how many verses are we examining ? He seems to be saying that the King James Bible has LORD in dozens of verses where it is not in the Masoretic Texts. Could we have a list of those verses ? Is he 'demonstrating' the first claim about 134 verses by giving a case that looks at 134, 100, 50, 10, 2 verses - or what ?

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 01-13-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 AM

YHVH = LORD in uppercase but small letters in the English, however Lord with a capital L and normal lowercase is where the text reads "Adonai" with translates as Lord.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 AM

Also , here is exactly what is translated.

H3068
יהוה
yehôvâh
Total KJV Occurrences: 6528
lord, 6412
lord’s, 108
god, 4
Jehovah, 4
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Tandi

Thank you both. My friend is in grief right now so it may not be a good time to press him on this. Please pray for my friend, that in his time of sorrow and mourning, he will come back to the LORD and the KJV of his youth.

Shalom,

Tandi
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM

Default Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Thank you both. My friend is in grief right now so it may not be a good time to press him on this. Please pray for my friend, that in his time of sorrow and mourning, he will come back to the LORD and the KJV of his youth.

Shalom,

Tandi
My wife is a good prayer Warrior as well.
I will make sure she gets the message.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Tandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAV View Post
My wife is a good prayer Warrior as well.
I will make sure she gets the message.

Thank you! I very much appreciate the prayers of your wife. She can send me an email for more specifics. I could use a Bible believing prayer partner about now.

The effectual fervent prayers of the righteous availeth much!

Shalom,

Tandi