Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Default Bad tracts

This is a great article about some tracts that bear false teachings. I think it's a rude awakening that we Christians need to make sure we share a pure gospel.

http://jesus-is-savior.com/False%20D...bad_tracts.htm

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
This is a great article about some tracts that bear false teachings. I think it's a rude awakening that we Christians need to make sure we share a pure gospel.

http://jesus-is-savior.com/False%20D...bad_tracts.htm

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Brother Stephen, I couldn't disagree with you more! The site to which you referred is very dangerous, and full of erroneous teaching and conspiracy-mongering. There's some good stuff there, but overall, I would never recommend it to a new Christian. The guy who runs it is so hung up on this "Lordship salvation" thing that he slanders some very valiant servants of God - - - and Jack Chick is one of them.

Chick's ministry has probably won more souls to Christ than any other single publisher, at least since Good News Publishers apostasized. And I'm talking about good, solid, conversions, that last.

Y'know, brother, when I first came to this forum, I was trying to be very polite and reserved. Several of the brethren said "No, no, speak your mind!" So I'm doing it.

Thank you for the recommendation, but in this case, I think you're backing a losing horse. Please don't think I'm rebuking you; I'm just trying to warn people about a bad site.

Last edited by Vendetta Ride; 11-05-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Brother Stephen, I couldn't disagree with you more! The site to which you referred is very dangerous, and full of erroneous teaching and conspiracy-mongering. There's some good stuff there, but overall, I would never recommend it to a new Christian. The guy who runs it is so hung up on this "Lordship salvation" thing that he slanders some very valiant servants of God - - - and Jack Chick is one of them.

Chick's ministry has probably won more souls to Christ than any other single publisher, at least since Good News Publishers apostasized. And I'm talking about good, solid, conversions, that last.

Y'know, brother, when I first came to this forum, I was trying to be very polite and reserved. Several of the brethren said "No, no, speak your mind!" So I'm doing it.

Thank you for the recommendation, but in this case, I think you're backing a losing horse. Please don't think I'm rebuking you; I'm just trying to warn people about a bad site.
No, that's quite all right VR. I use Chick tracts (handed out nearly 50 little ghost tracts this halloween), but I must admit I'm uncomfortable doing so. Same goes with the other tracts that I have that say one must repent of their sins in order to be saved. Is this not another gospel? What is the biblical way of dealing with a gospel message that isn't the one given to us by Paul? If you can add some insight to clarify how I should feel about this message of Lordship Salvation then please share it with me. The reason I feel so strongly about it, and Luke can attest to this, is because I used to believe in LS. I can attest to the countless nights I doubted my salvation because of the sin still in my life. So, if a born again, and SAVED Christian can be hurt by this LS gospel, then how much more potential is there for harm in it being recieved by those new to Christ?

I do appreciate your honesty VR. I agree that Chick tracts are very powerful. But it wouldn't be wise to ignore the flaws in this so vital and fundamental ministry of gospel tracts.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen

EDIT: Also, I do like Jesus-is-savior.com. There are some goofy sites on the main page (stuff Scott would have liked), but none the less, the majority of it is good. For example, show me a better compilation of KJB defense material than this: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible...king_james.htm And what about old fashioned baptist preaching such as this: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Books..._and_books.htm I agree that the site isn't a good site for sinners and babes in Christ, but it is an invaliable tool in reaching backsliders and the luckwarm.

Last edited by stephanos; 11-06-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM

Check out Steve Anderson on YouTube; that crackpot hates both Jack Chick AND Fellowship Tract League because they include repentance in their tracts. From a Biblical perspective, the doctrine of repentance must be approached carefully: on one side, people get rid of it all together, and on the other, people who over-emphasize repentance and misapply it.

Repentance simply means to turn: it doesn't mean to turn from sin or to turn to Christ, it simply means to turn. God repented several times, and there are other places that people repented when sin wasn't even part of the equation. The issue is that people have certain things in their lives that come between them and trusting in Christ: some have sin, some have good works, others have family or peer pressure; it's all different. People have to repent of that which they are trusting in other than Christ, or turn from that which keeps them from the Savior, and turn to Christ. "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness (unto = direction), and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

There is a balance to be found with this issue; apparently that site takes one ditch, while others like Ray Comfort and others are in the other ditch. Satan doesn't care which ditch you're in, as long as you're in one.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Check out Steve Anderson on YouTube; that crackpot hates both Jack Chick AND Fellowship Tract League because they include repentance in their tracts. From a Biblical perspective, the doctrine of repentance must be approached carefully: on one side, people get rid of it all together, and on the other, people who over-emphasize repentance and misapply it.

Repentance simply means to turn: it doesn't mean to turn from sin or to turn to Christ, it simply means to turn. God repented several times, and there are other places that people repented when sin wasn't even part of the equation. The issue is that people have certain things in their lives that come between them and trusting in Christ: some have sin, some have good works, others have family or peer pressure; it's all different. People have to repent of that which they are trusting in other than Christ, or turn from that which keeps them from the Savior, and turn to Christ. "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness (unto = direction), and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

There is a balance to be found with this issue; apparently that site takes one ditch, while others like Ray Comfort and others are in the other ditch. Satan doesn't care which ditch you're in, as long as you're in one.
Yes, but what shall we do with those that tell people they have to quit sinning (they call this biblical repentance) in order to be saved?

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
I use Chick tracts (handed out nearly 50 little ghost tracts this halloween), but I must admit I'm uncomfortable doing so. Same goes with the other tracts that I have that say one must repent of their sins in order to be saved. Is this not another gospel? What is the biblical way of dealing with a gospel message that isn't the one given to us by Paul? If you can add some insight to clarify how I should feel about this message of Lordship Salvation then please share it with me. The reason I feel so strongly about it, and Luke can attest to this, is because I used to believe in LS. I can attest to the countless nights I doubted my salvation because of the sin still in my life. So, if a born again, and SAVED Christian can be hurt by this LS gospel, then how much more potential is there for harm in it being recieved by those new to Christ?
Yes, I agree with you stephanos. I find Chick tracts very powerful and effective. I wish we have a lot of them. But I'm a little bothered by its tendency towards Lordship Salvation.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 AM
aussiemama

So, just because anyone mentions repentance at all they suddenly believe Lordship Salvation? Wow. I didn't think people were that juvenile. But I wouldn't trust anything off of Jesus-is-savior.com anyway.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemama View Post
So, just because anyone mentions repentance at all they suddenly believe Lordship Salvation? Wow. I didn't think people were that juvenile. But I wouldn't trust anything off of Jesus-is-savior.com anyway.
There's no need to be so cavalier, aussiemama. People who stress repentance do tend toward Lordship Salvation, among them Ray Comfort and his type. However, that's not to say that anyone who teaches turning from sin is a heretic. Like I pointed out, some people do have to turn from sin; the problem is that people try to make people completely surrender to Christ before they even know what they're doing as a Child of God. One must accept Christ with a repentant heart, but there is nothing in Scripture that says a person must "make Him the Lord of your life" in order to receive Salvation.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 AM
aussiemama

I know, but I have NEVER seen anywhere in a Chick tract where it said you had to "make Jesus the Lord of your life" before getting saved. I think Mr Chick really is genuine and produces good tracts. The word repent does not automatically mean "Lordship salvation" is really my point.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM

The point isn't that his tracts say "male Him the Lord of your life", the point is that his tracts say you must "repent of your sins". Repent means "to turn", or "to turn from". Do don't need to turn form your sins in order to be saved, nor can you. You only must turn from your sin of unbelief.