Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:40 AM

evstevemd,

Thanks for your reply. I also want to see the slaying in the Spirit and selling prayer clothes deal. Many of today's Pentecostal/Charismatic movement are getting close to becoming a cult. Now some of the old style Pentecostals are not as bad as some of the new ones. So I do not think they are a cult.

Atlas
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Revangelist

Hey atlas, cut your afterburners. This is a thread to discuss the KJV. Let's get back on track. Does anyone know about the scandale with Nelson Pub. and the NKJV? There are other threads to discuss eternal security and the gifts of the Spirit issue.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Revangelist, could you elaborate a little more on what you have heard about a scandal? Nelson produces the NKJV, and that is scandal enough for me, but I imagine that you are meaning something else.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Revangelist

Yes...I got a newsletter from Gail Riplinger's site and she had an article about the NKJV and said that the Nelson Pub. Company was caught in some kind of scandal concerning the NKJV. I tried to find out from Riplinger's site and I didn't get an answer. So, I was hoping someone here might have some knowledge about such a thing.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Pastor Mikie

Great! I think I might appreciate this thread a little more. I hate for there to be hostilities because of differences. Anyhow, one scandal happened because either the NRSV or the RSV was also published by Nelson publishing company and took a diametrically opposed stance in marketing it that with the NKJV. It seems they were creating a controversy between those two translations and doing it for financial reasons. However, I'm not positive. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM
jerry

I haven't heard this - however, it is no surprise considering that Thomas Nelson was a Catholic - and the RC church historically has sought to either withhold the Bible from the common man, or cast doubt upon its text (indicating that they must be the final authority, rather than the Bible). We can see this in the footnotes of the NKJV - and even in the footnotes and cross-references of some KJVs put out by Nelson. Just recently I came across an explanatory footnote (with some cross references) that actually set the Bible at odds with itself. (I can post that if anyone is interested, but didn't want to go offtopic here.)

If the devil can't stop us from reading the Bible, and can't convince us to accept the modern versions and their compromise of the NKJV, then he will just cast doubt on the Bible text itself. An old trick that is working around the world.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Thomas Nelson was a Scotsman originally printing Puritan writers: are you sure he was Catholic?

This is from their website:

Quote:
Thomas would often accompany his father on journeys of forty miles to participate in communion services of the Covenanters.
Covenanters were a kind of Puritan.

Last edited by bibleprotector; 03-23-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 PM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Guys,

We need to address the Pentecostal issue.

Is this a cult?

1. Loss of salvation.

2. Keeping salvation via good works.

3. Authority beyond the Bible, words of knowledge and all of that crap.

4. Slaying in the Spirit.

5. This laughing deal going on nowadays.

6. Prayer clothes and other such crap.

7. Blowing on people then they fall down.

8. Advanced revelation from God.

9. The final authority may not be the Bible.

10 Emotion based services and experiences.

I am not saying the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement is a cult but it is looking more and more like a cult everyday.

What do you guys think? Is it a cult?

Atlas

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...its probably a duck.

The closest to being a cult are the sub group that declares no salvation for those who dont speak in tongues.

Only last week one of the newly saved Christians in our church was told by a tongue speaking workmate, using Mark 16 as a reference, that he wasnt saved because he didnt have the "gift" of tongues. 5 minutes with the Bible soon put his mind at ease.

Fundy
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 AM

fundy,

Quote:
The closest to being a cult are the sub group that declares no salvation for those who don't speak in tongues.
That is a cult. The old style Pentecostals are not like this new bunch I have seen lately.

Atlas
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Revangelist

Jerry, there are two Thomas Nelsons. One was a Catholic who owns the Catholic publishing house Tan Books located in Rockford, Illinois.