Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 PM

I will restate the question

How does one BELIEVE God more. I struggle with unbelief, but I believe as best I can. I am going through some major turmoil right now, and am struggling to take God's word as it stands, which I have never had a problem with before. The devil is attacking me with all kinds of verses that I used to be able refute (Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, James 2), making me think I am in danger of losing my salvation or all kinds of stupid things.

How does one BELIEVE God, and fully rest in Him, in the midst of trials?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 AM

Hey Luke, New guy here. I'd like to help.

Don't try to find help in this area (i've struggled with stuff like this myself) from DOCTRINE. Doctrine is great but i've found that in practical matters deep theology comes up lacking. Coming from my Lutheran background, matters of theology were a big battle for me, even on things like the New Birth. But one day in my room, knowing that I needed to know for sure if I was born again, I got down on my knees and said, "God, right now I don't know, but with SIMPLE FAITH I am going to ask you to save me and give me a new heart through Jesus and just simply believe that you will." Guess what happened He gave it to me. Simple faith is where the big strides come from in our lives of "walking by faith".

ps another book to put on your "to be read" list is The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life. man that has been a blessing to me. Not new-agey, but written by an old quaker woman with enough Methodist in her to boil her blood.

I pray something in here has helped, Bro
Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
jerry

Doctrine is what the Bible teaches on any given subject - you can't throw out doctrine or disregard it and expect to prosper spiritually. Faith is believing what God has already said in His Word (Romans 10:17) - that means understanding doctrine, promises, principles, etc. from the Bible.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:58 AM

Right,

Thank you Jerry. I hope my post didn't mislead anyone on that point. maybe a better word to use would have been THEOLOGY. Yeah, that's better. Theology can twist a man up and mess him up. But simple faith is what we live by and yes, that comes from doctrine. Amen. Sorry about the mix up.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

How does one BELIEVE God more. I struggle with unbelief, but I believe as best I can. I am going through some major turmoil right now, and am struggling to take God's word as it stands, which I have never had a problem with before. The devil is attacking me with all kinds of verses that I used to be able refute (Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, James 2), making me think I am in danger of losing my salvation or all kinds of stupid things.

Brother Luke,

There are no easy answers to your questions. Knowing how to rightly divide the word of truth helps with the Books of Hebrews; James; and Matthew. And I could give you some verses that might strengthen your faith, but ultimately when you are dealing with doubt - you are dealing with matters of the heart. We do not "doubt" with our mind, conscience, soul, or spirit. Doubting is solely a function of the heart - just like believing is also a sole function of the heart.

Here are some things that we must do to overcome doubt (in our hearts).

1. Examine ourselves – whether we are “in the faith”.

2Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

2. Prove our own selves – that we are not “reprobates”.

2Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

3. Study God’s word for God’s approval –rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

4. Study God’s word to answer.

Proverbs 15:28 The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.

5. KEEP thy heart with all diligence – To avoid the snares, the pitfalls, and the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Keeping one's heart is not easy. God always tests, tries, and proves His people (saints) - this has been His "mode of operation" from the Garden of Eden up to the present time, and none of us is "exempt".

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Four years ago my wife and I lost our oldest son (42 years old - home with the Lord). Had we lost him ten or fifteen years earlier I'm not so sure that I could have "handled" it, but the Lord was gracious and put us to the "test" when we were more able to:"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." [Proverbs 3:5] I can testify to you that the moment we heard of his death - two (2) verses came to my mind instantly:

. . . . the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. [Job 1:21]

and: "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." [2 Corinthians 5:8]

I cannot tell you how much comfort those two verses were to us, I can only say to you that His grace was sufficient for us in our hour of need.
2 Corinthians 12:9 . . . . My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

There's lots more verses, but I'm sure you get the idea. A word of advise from an elder in the Lord (50 years saved) - God bless and keep you brother. Don't ever despair and give up. Keep trying, and if you fall pick yourself up and try again!

Psalms 4:5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

Your brother in Christ,
George Anderson
Old 04-26-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post

1. Examine ourselves – whether we are “in the faith”.

Your brother in Christ,
George Anderson
Amen !!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

No matter what our current turmoil is we should remain firm in our foundation in Jesus Christ. Even when we are down and don't feel like it, read His Word, Pray, surround yourself with other Christians, listen to sound Biblical preaching. I must also add: tell others of the wonderful news of Jesus Christ.

Trust the Lord that He is growing you through trials. When we remain faithful we will grow in Christ. During the trial recognize that in the end you will be closer to Jesus, you will know Him more, love Him more and be more like Him.

Re: loving Jesus more,
Quote:
John 14:15-16 If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
We should trust in the fact that the Holy Spirit abides within us. Knowing this, trusting in this we will follow the teachings of Jesus and follow His example. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit by continuing in sin.

In obedience to God's Word, we will be blessed. Even during trials we always have joy in our salvation. We look up. Jesus prepares a place for us in Heaven. Praise the Lord!!!