Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM

Default spirit, soul, body

Brethren, I am interested in your insight and understanding regarding man as spirit, soul, & body. I know it's a "broad" subject, but if some of you have studied the doctrine and have some things you are led to share, I am interested in your comments.

“…I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thessalonians 5:23).
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM

It's probably just basic stuff, but this is what I thought of:

Man is a triune being, made up of three parts, made in the image of God, who is a triune being.

The body is that which covers us, the part people can see.

The body of God is Jesus Christ.

The soul is our inner self, our mind, our heart, our 'self'.

The soul of God is God the Father.

The spirit of man is that which gives him life, like the air in a tire.

The Spirit of God is the Holy Spirit, which indwells the believer.

A wise preacher once described the triune nature of man like a tire, with an innertube:

The outside tire is the body
The innertube is the soul
The air that fills it is the spirit.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
It's probably just basic stuff, but this is what I thought of:

Man is a triune being, made up of three parts, made in the image of God, who is a triune being.
Yes Sister, that is pretty basic. Let me be a little more inquisitive. We see the triune existence of humankind in the creation. Here's my understanding of that. When the spirit of man united with the body of man, Adam became a living soul. “And the Lord God formed man [his body] of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life [his spirit]; and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7).

Here's where I'm seeking some comments.
  1. Is it specifically the "spirit" of man that was "dead" due to sin and is, subsequently, reborn and regenerated?
  2. In the Christian life is the Holy Spirit now residing in our reborn "spirit" and instructing the "soul" of man (the mind activated) with God's divine instruction through His Word?
  3. Is it accurate to teach that the flesh is also a "nature", not just skin, that is opposed to God and His divine influences?
  4. Finally, is the battle between the flesh and the Spirit (Galatians 5) explained accurately like this?

When we receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour; He abides in us through our regenerated [new born, reproduced, renewed, and recreated] spirit and instructs our soul (mind, will, emotions) with His divine instruction, purpose, and will of God as found in His Holy Word.

Our body of flesh and its members, on the other hand, provide a conduit for unrighteous influence. The flesh is continually exposed to the things of this world (lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life) and resists the holy influences of God.

Does this explain the fight we each experience between the “spiritual” man and the “fleshly” man. We know what we should be doing, but don’t always do it. Oh, wretched man that I am!

There is a battle occurring between God’s Spirit which operates in our renewed spirit, and our flesh which is still mortal and corruptible. We still live in a mortal and temporary body that is repeatedly exposed to sinful corruption and the temptations to do wrong.

Through the function of our soul [mind, will, or emotions] we will either submit to the leading of the Holy Spirit (which abides in our spirit), or we will yield to the lusts of the flesh which continually wars against our soul through our members.

Is this your understanding?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Yes Sister, that is pretty basic. Let me be a little more inquisitive. We see the triune existence of humankind in the creation. Here's my understanding of that. When the spirit of man united with the body of man, Adam became a living soul. “And the Lord God formed man [his body] of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life [his spirit]; and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7).

1. Is it specifically the "spirit" of man that was "dead" due to sin and is, subsequently, reborn and regenerated?
  2. In the Christian life is the Holy Spirit now residing in our reborn "spirit" and instructing the "soul" of man (the mind activated) with God's divine instruction through His Word?
  3. Is it accurate to teach that the flesh is also a "nature", not just skin, that is opposed to God and His divine influences?
  4. Finally, is the battle between the flesh and the Spirit (Galatians 5) explained accurately like this?

When we receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour; He abides in us through our regenerated [new born, reproduced, renewed, and recreated] spirit and instructs our soul (mind, will, emotions) with His divine instruction, purpose, and will of God as found in His Holy Word.

Our body of flesh and its members, on the other hand, provide a conduit for unrighteous influence. The flesh is continually exposed to the things of this world (lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life) and resists the holy influences of God.

Does this explain the fight we each experience between the “spiritual” man and the “fleshly” man. We know what we should be doing, but don’t always do it. Oh, wretched man that I am!

There is a battle occurring between God’s Spirit which operates in our renewed spirit, and our flesh which is still mortal and corruptible. We still live in a mortal and temporary body that is repeatedly exposed to sinful corruption and the temptations to do wrong.

Through the function of our soul [mind, will, or emotions] we will either submit to the leading of the Holy Spirit (which abides in our spirit), or we will yield to the lusts of the flesh which continually wars against our soul through our members.

Amen Bro Forrest! Great expository on the triunity of man!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Hey Brother Forrest.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

We are born again through the spirit of God. The second birth as explained to Nicodemus. Through the blood of Christ our LORD and Saviour we are washed of our sin that we were "first born" dead in.

When we are born of the spirit, our Soul is bought and payed for, it belongs to God.
Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Our Body is corruptible, it is not yet complete until it is raised incorruptible.
1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

This addresses a fact also that Christians who are "genuinely" born again, cannot be possessed, for we are born of God's spirit, our Souls belong to Him but our Mortal bodies belong to whomever we yield them to, good or evil.
A Christian certainly can "do" evil, but cannot be possessed "by" evil

Romans 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

I guess we can say that until that day when Christ calls us home we are not complete in him until we have immortality, until then we are wretched in the flesh
1 Corinthians 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Hey Brother Forrest.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

We are born again through the spirit of God. The second birth as explained to Nicodemus. Through the blood of Christ our LORD and Saviour we are washed of our sin that we were "first born" dead in.

When we are born of the spirit, our Soul is bought and payed for, it belongs to God.

Our Body is corruptible, it is not yet complete until it is raised incorruptible.
1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
Hello Brother.

So exactly what is born again (renewed, regenerated, reborn)?

Man's spirit?

Man's soul?

Man's body?

or all three?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM

The Spirit is quickened (made alive) when we are born again

Ephesians 2:1,2
"And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

the soul before salvation did not have God, before we were saved we did not have the Holy Spirit indwelling, teaching, correcting, rebuking, loving us
2nd Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

EDIT may i just add in the verse I intended to place in after the last statement

The Body I don't think is renewed / regenerated/ completed until we get home. This is why we still wrestle with the "old man" and the flesh.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

I still see our bodies as corrupt, unchanged until that Glorious day our LORD calls us home or comes for us

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 10-08-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
The Spirit is quickened (made alive) when we are born again

Ephesians 2:1,2
"And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

the soul before salvation did not have God, before we were saved we did not have the Holy Spirit indwelling, teaching, correcting, rebuking, loving us
2nd Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

The Body I don't think is renewed / regenerated/ completed until we get home. This is why we still wrestle with the "old man" and the flesh.
Let's pick this up again tomorrow. (I know it's getting late there in Ireland, "laddy"). I'm going to eat supper and get in bed. Sleep good.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Let's pick this up again tomorrow. (I know it's getting late there in Ireland, "laddy"). I'm going to eat supper and get in bed. Sleep good.
hehe , ill be up for a while studying anyways. If I am of the mark please tell me, I value your thoughts on the subject.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Well, I felt we needed to start with the basics.

I've heard that explanation of Genesis 2:7 before, and I agree with it.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Quote:

You're preaching to the choir here. So far, so good.

Quote:

Uh huh. Eyup. Yes. Oui. Ja. Si.