Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Repentance and Faith go hand in hand.
TRUE

Quote:
You can't have faith, (saving faith) in Jesus without repenting.
TRUE

Quote:
You can't just repent, (be sorry for your sin)....
From warning no. 1 above..."defining the word biblically is crucial."
Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
From warning no. 1 above..."defining the word biblically is crucial."
Yes, I understand what you are saying. My only point is that the majority think that is what repentance unto salvation is; simply to be sorry for sin. We know that it is much more than that and that repentance, (change of mind that leads to change of life) and faith in Jesus go hand in hand.

If you ask someone if they have repented, they tend to say something like, "sure I repent every day" or they may say that they confess their sins to a Priest. Many do not understand what repentance unto salvation is.

There are two types of repentance:

1, Repentance for unbelievers for salvation
Quote:
Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Quote:
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
2, repentance for believers from daily sin
Quote:
Revelation 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
Quote:
Revelation 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Quote:
Revelation 2:21-22 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, There are two types of repentance:

1, Repentance for unbelievers for salvation

2, repentance for believers from daily sin
Well, actually there are more than two "types" of repentance in the Bible, but we don't need to go there now. I would rather say that there is one type of repentance and many ways that it is applied. The KEY is correct application of the word where it is found in the Bible.
  • God calls for national repentance on the part of the nation of Israel to introduce the gospels.
  • God plainly calls for his born-again children to repent of their sins.
  • Peter told Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8 to repent therefore of this thy wickedness... What was his wickedness? Read the passage, the man was not looking for a way to have his sin forgiven and go to heaven. His repentance was of a way of thinking.
  • But in dealing with a unregenerate sinner in 2008, what does God say? Well, Jerry needs to be careful if he wants to quote Rev. 9:20-21 to show that people need to repent of their sins in order to be saved. Going to Ezekiel is going to pose a problem when dealing with salvation for today as well.
Definition and Application. Two vital steps in understanding the doctrinal terms of the Bible
Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
[*]But in dealing with a unregenerate sinner in 2008, what does God say? Well, Jerry needs to be careful if he wants to quote Rev. 9:20-21 to show that people need to repent of their sins in order to be saved. Going to Ezekiel is going to pose a problem when dealing with salvation for today as well.
How about
Quote:
Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Unless they repent they perish. those perishing are unregenerate sinner's, correct? So from this can we say that they need to repent in order to be saved. of course making sure we are using the proper definition of repentance unto salvation.

and of course this applies to the unregenerate sinner in 2008.