Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Default RE: "works after salvation"

Quote:
"DEAR GEORGIE: I NEVER said we could earn our SALVATION. I did quote the bible, which is Jesus, the Word of God, and say our works will be judged, and, as the good book says, based on our works, we will get into "trouble or get rewards".

"Oops! Looks like a work, there, Georgie."

"Are you being rude, here, Georgie? I'm betting Calvin and most of his followers had a rudimentary understanding of words and reading."
biblereader,

"Georgie," "Georgie," "Georgie,"??? I haven't been called that (by childish & immature girls ) in over 55 years! My how the good Christian "WORKS" come shining through!

A perfect "stranger" ("biblereader") comes on the Forum and one of the first things she does is INSULT one (or more) of the members - I guess as long as "biblereader" continues to do "volunteer" WORK; feeds the poor; visits the fatherless and widows; visits the jails; passes out tracks; LOVES everyone, even our enemies (except George), shows compassion to all (except George), it's perfectly "alright" for her to insult the brethren! No "double standard" there!

I don't know what your "problem" is lady - I don't know who put a "burr under your bonnet", but I'm not going to waste my time replying to someone (man or woman) who doesn't have the common courtesy or decency to answer someone, without being "smart-mouthed", "cheeky", "flippant", "insolent", "rude", "discourteous", and "disrespectful".

Your Lack of "spiritual discernment and understanding" is appalling for someone who claims to be a "biblereader".

Last edited by George; 05-29-2009 at 06:48 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Many insults from you.
insults, insults, and judgementalism

I hope you feel better now. I sure don't.
You were not any better than you claimed I was.

Seems like I'm not welcome in here.
Have fun in your forum.
I would like to come back, later,but, it's not as simple as that, I can see.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 AM

I agree, Forrest, Christ centered faith results in genuine good works.
We would not want to do any good works for Jesus, nor would they abide, IMO, at the Bema seat Judgement of Christ.
Could you, though, elaborate on what work is represented by each of the verses you said?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
being "smart-mouthed", "cheeky", "flippant", "insolent", "rude", "discourteous", and "disrespectful".
I apologize for not being serious enough. Now, would you answer the questions I asked of you, in my reply?
BTW, I call a dear relative of mine Georgie, and he does not take it as an insult.
Nor, was it meant as one to you. I was being playful. I like to interject humor in some of my serious posts, sometimes.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Biblereader

If I may, let me present a different view on the original passage you posted.

34: Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37: Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38: When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39: Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40: And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41: Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44: Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45: Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Did you notice I highlighted "my brethren" in vs. 40? That is important, because then these works only apply to believers, not unbelievers.

I personally believe that these works all fall under preaching the Gospel.

First, "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:"

How do you give a person this meat and drink? Give them Jesus.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Give them Jesus, and they will never hunger or thirst again.

"I was a stranger, and ye took me in"

1 Cor 8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

Give a man Jesus, and he will no longer be a stranger to God.

"Naked, and ye clothed me"

2 Cor 5:3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

Give a person Jesus, and they will be clothed with his righteousness.

"I was sick, and ye visited me:"

Luke 5:31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

Jesus is our physician who can heal us of our sins.

"I was in prison, and ye came unto me"

John 6:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Give a person Jesus, and you free them from the prison of death.

Give a person Jesus, and they will be your brethren.

Now, tell me, do these verses take on a new meaning to you now?

Last edited by Winman; 05-30-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblereader View Post
I agree, Forrest, Christ centered faith results in genuine good works.
We would not want to do any good works for Jesus, nor would they abide, IMO, at the Bema seat Judgement of Christ.
Could you, though, elaborate on what work is represented by each of the verses you said?
The link I provided on post #29 elaborates on those verses.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Brother Georgie! I like it.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:00 PM

What a kind and Christlike response, Winman.
Thank you.
This is also what I alluded to, (I think) in another post, we can do good works by actually giving people food, or clothing, or water, and, YES!
We can, and are supposed to, free people from the prison of sin and eternal damnation! Yes! Jesus is the bread of life, Jesus is the living water!
But, I still want to know, do you feel we should NOT refuse to give a person a cold drink, if they ask us, and do you feel we should NOT donate clothes or groceries to people who need them?
Example: I've given food to a "friend" of mine, I thought they were my friend, many times, sent it through the mail, free, because I know what it's like to wonder where your next meal is coming from. I did it because I love Jesus, and Jesus, at that time, made it easy for me to share with that person. So, good works are definitely sharing the Gospel, yes, I'm so happy to see you write this (I thought I didn't have any friends in Christ in here for a minute), AND, good works are sharing with others whatever you can.
Jesus says, 28: Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29: And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
So, we're supposed to give to those who need it, and as we give, don't you think we should talk to them about Jesus, and salvation, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
Biblereader

If I may, let me present a different view on the original passage you posted.

34: Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37: Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38: When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39: Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40: And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41: Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44: Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45: Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Did you notice I highlighted "my brethren" in vs. 40? That is important, because then these works only apply to believers, not unbelievers.

I personally believe that these works all fall under preaching the Gospel.

First, "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:"

How do you give a person this meat and drink? Give them Jesus.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Give them Jesus, and they will never hunger or thirst again.

"I was a stranger, and ye took me in"

1 Cor 8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

Give a man Jesus, and he will no longer be a stranger to God.

"Naked, and ye clothed me"

2 Cor 5:3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

Give a person Jesus, and they will be clothed with his righteousness.

"I was sick, and ye visited me:"

Luke 5:31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

Jesus is our physician who can heal us of our sins.

"I was in prison, and ye came unto me"

John 6:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Give a person Jesus, and you free them from the prison of death.

Give a person Jesus, and they will be your brethren.

Now, tell me, do these verses take on a new meaning to you now?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Brother Georgie! I like it.

I think it's kind of cute, myself.
It's an affectionate, brotherly/sisterly type of term.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Biblereader

I think that if a Christian sees someone in need that they should help them. But I think giving someone the gospel is more important.

You can form a soup-line and feed the poor every day. But in the end they will die. You can give the needy clothes, or visit them in the hospital or prison, but if they do not know about Jesus they will die and go to hell.

I am not saying we should not do good and helpful things for those in need. But what every person truly needs is Jesus.

I heard a preacher once say:

Receiving Jesus as your saviour will not solve all your problems, but it will solve your BIGGEST problem.