Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Just out of curiosity, I researched the Hebrew calendar, which is now on year 5700+. It is said to have a start date, 1 year before creation??. And every 231 years they loose 1 day, as compared to our calendar.

There are a few other days error, I don't remember exactly what they were. But considering all, about a 6000 year Earth age; is also evidenced by the Hebrew Calendar.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-07-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Scientists were shocked when a coelacanth (pronounced SEE-la-kanth) was found off Africa's coast in 1938. They had believed the fish went extinct 65 million years ago, as did a related lineage of prehistoric fishes.

The fish has been a source of fascination ever since. Several other coelacanths have been caught in recent decades, including another in the species-rich waters of Sulawesi in 1998.
Probably because nobody called the dumb thing a coelacanth until some idiot found the skeleton of one and deemed it to be an ancient fish that lived millions of years ago. What a joke.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvw View Post
Probably because nobody called the dumb thing a coelacanth until some idiot found the skeleton of one and deemed it to be an ancient fish that lived millions of years ago. What a joke.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Bro. Parrish

I have often wondered why the Megalodon Shark would have went extinct (if it is).
Some theories suggest that climate change was to blame or maybe competition for food, but I'm really not sure how the whole "ice age" concept fits in with the Biblical creation model, and it seems to me that the prey items of this 60 foot long beast are still around today (whales). Perhaps the flood of Noah's day created massive changes in ocean temperatures and salinity, which did not impact the whales but killed other fish like the mighty Megalodon. Food for thought...

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 01-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM

I find giants to be very interesting, and there is much evidence that true giants lived in the past. There are many stories of finding human skeletons anywhere from 9 feet tall to an unbelieveable 25 feet tall!

Now it is true there have been hoaxes, but their have been documented cases by educated and learned scholars.

There are many giants shown in ancient art such as these:

The Bible clearly states that there were giants in the days of Noah. And the Bible mentions giants after Noah's time as well. So I do not think it unusual for ancient art to show giant men.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post

I have often wondered why the Megalodon Shark would have went extinct (if it is).
Some theories suggest that climate change was to blame or maybe competition for food, but I'm really not sure how the whole "ice age" concept fits in with the Biblical creation model, and it seems to me that the prey items of this 60 foot long beast are still around today (whales). Perhaps the flood of Noah's day created massive changes in ocean temperatures and salinity, which did not impact the whales but killed other fish like the mighty Megalodon. Food for thought...
I'm no scientist, but I would have to agree that it makes more sense that the flood would have created some desalinization of the Earths waters. I mean think about it. It rained for 40 days and 40 nights! Thats a massive amount of non-salinated water being dumped into the Earths oceans. I'm no expert, but I definately think that is a very plausible theory.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionznc View Post
I'm no scientist, but I would have to agree that it makes more sense that the flood would have created some desalinization of the Earths waters. I mean think about it. It rained for 40 days and 40 nights! Thats a massive amount of non-salinated water being dumped into the Earths oceans. I'm no expert, but I definately think that is a very plausible theory.
Not only that but after the flood the waters would have been more salinated than before. The salt that is in the seas comes from the land, and water on-top of entire earth would certainly have brought more salt into the waters.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Nothing says that the oceans, if the earth even had oceans, were salty before the flood. Look at the earth as it is today: there's MAYBE 15% habitable land. 70% oceans, ginormous mountain ranges, expansive deserts, tundra, permafrost...do you think God created the earth the way it is now to be inhabited? (Is. 45:18)

I don't think the pre-flood earth was anything like it is today; for one thing, there is no way it could rain enough rain to cover Mt. Everest: there's no place for that water to go if the oceans already existed!

Ok, that's a little off-topic; if you want a good, plausible explanation, check out Dr. Hovind's seminar series and check out the tape called "The Hovind Theory."
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM

The Earth absolutely changed after Noah's flood, you can see lifespans decrease rapidly after that.

Code:
Before the Flood  

Biblical Patriarch  Life Span  Age at Birth of First Son  
Adam                 930          130 
Seth                 912          105 
Enosh                905           90 
Cainan               910           70 
Mahalealel           895           65 
Jared                962          162 
Enoch                365           65 
Methuselah           969          187 
Lamech               777          182 
Noah                 950          500 

After the Flood  

Biblical Patriarch  Life Span  Age at Birth of First Son  
Shem                 600          100 
Arphaxad             498           35 
Salah                433           30 
Eber                 464           34 
Peleg                239           30 
Reu                  239           32 
Serug                230           30 
Nahor                148           29 
Terah                205           70
So the environment changed drastically, and lifespan decreased rapidly after the flood.

And animal size probably decreased as well. Reptiles will generally keep growing as long as they live, so perhaps the early dinosaurs lived very long lifespans and this accounts for their giant size.

I do believe there were dinos after the flood as evidenced by the countless legends of dragons from many civilizations over the centuries. Some ancient art shows dinos that were not quite as large as we know today, perhaps because their lifespans were also shortened after the flood.

But the flood is not the only major global cataclysm. The Bible says the Earth was divided in the days of Peleg.

Gen 10:25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.

Some believe that the Earth was undergoing violent change for hundreds of years after the flood. When the continents divided in Peleg's time there would have been tremendous earthquakes, volcanoes, and perhaps an ice age. There are some references to this in the book of Job.

Job 9:5 Which removeth the mountains, and they know not: which overturneth them in his anger.
Job 9:6 Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.

Job 28:9 He putteth forth his hand upon the rock; he overturneth the mountains by the roots.

Job 12:15 Behold, he withholdeth the waters, and they dry up: also he sendeth them out, and they overturn the earth.

Job 38:29 Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
Job 38:30 The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.

These are just some of the many verses in Job that may indicate the world was undergoing violent changes in his day.

As far as Mt. Everest being covered by water, the Bible is clear that all the mountains were covered in Noah's flood. But that doesn't mean Mt. Everest was covered, it may not have existed until the Earth was divided in Peleg's day. The continents dividing and shifting caused huge mountain ranges to be pushed up.

Last edited by Winman; 01-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
I don't think the pre-flood earth was anything like it is today; for one thing, there is no way it could rain enough rain to cover Mt. Everest: there's no place for that water to go if the oceans already existed
Like I said, I'm no scientist, but to say there is "no way" it could rain enough rain to cover Mt. Everest is dangerously underestimating what God can do. I dont think any of us could possibly fathom the power of God. Nor would I want to place myself into a position to assume such.