Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 AM
fundy

Default Do we need Greek and Hebrew?

Hope no-one minds if I come in late with a comment, but after speaking to many modern version users and other critics of the KJB on this topic, I have found that constant referral to "the Greek" or the "originals" often it is just a symptom of a person not wanting to accept the final authority of Gods Word.

Also, often the Bible critic will display an element of "intellectual snobbery" , as if to say that a bunch of 17th century hicks could not possibly carry out the translation of the Bible as efficiently as more intelligent modern scholars.

I dont speak Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic or Latin. Neither do I have copies of ancient texts.....but the translators of the KJB could and did, along with Gods blessing on their work, and thats good enough for me.

fundy
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 AM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default God's perfect Book - the King James Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWHALEN View Post

"First of all, I would like to say that I only use(my emphasis) that KJV…."
" I do not believe..."
"I believe..."(5 times)

My comment: So, you "use" the KJV. Are you saying you "prefer" it, or it is your first "preference?"(correct me if I misunderstood you). I "use" a car manual, a "Strong's", a "dictionary…..
And I "prefer"/"like" ice crčme, my "favorite"/"preference" being Vanilla , I "prefer" not going to work, my "preference being sleeping late, I "like"/"prefer" smoking, my "preference" being "Now" shorts, and I "prefer" other "religions" instead of Christianity…….

The question seems to me to be:
What do you believe? Do you believe that the KJV is the word of God? Yes or no?

"….that we can say that the KJV is as close(my emphasis) as we can get to God's inspired Word(my emphasis) in the English language…"

My comment: Is this "kinda like" "close to being pregnant", "close to being dead", "close to being alive", "close to being saved","close to being a Christian", close to being true", "close to being false", "close to being white", "close to being black"……...…….?

"Almost inspired"? "Closed to being inspired?"

"Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest(my emphasis)) me to be a Christian…" Acts 26:28

"...to go back to the Greek or Hebrew…"

My comment: There is no such thing as "the" Greek, correct?

"….making those changes would make many passages more clear …"

My comment: You confuse objective revelation, through words, with subjective interpretation.

"Therefore, I am sticking to the KJV."

My comment: Do you believe it?

In and with Christ,

John M. Whalen
Amen, brother John. I was thinking much the exact same things but you expressed them very well. Kind of amazing too that he is not even sure what you are getting at.

Will K
Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kinney View Post
Amen, brother John. I was thinking much the exact same things but you expressed them very well. Kind of amazing too that he is not even sure what you are getting at.

Will K
Thank you, brother Will. As you know, as one KJB believer aptly said, bible correctors do not reject the KJB because it contradicts itelf; they reject it because the KJB contradicts them(i.e., "I have my doctrine-I am sure I will find a 'the' Bible out there that fits/suits/verifies/validates my doctrine.")

The Lord Jesus Christ is best magnified when I stay in the background:

"According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death." Philippians 1:20

Psalms 35:27, 40:16, 69:30, 70:4; Luke 1:46 Acts 10:46, 19:17

In and with Christ,

John M. Whalen
Old 10-23-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
I'm PBI '89. Nice to meet you!
I won't tell anyone!