Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Default Hypnosis and False Memory

I was listening to Dave Hunt on a radio program talking about how people can have false memories put in their brain during hypnosis, and that these are indistinguishable from real memories. Several states have outlawed court testimony from people who have had hypnosis after finding false accusations resulting from hypnotically implanted false memories. Apparently being in an altered state of consciousness opens the door for spirits to access our brains. One point he made was that once a person has had hypnosis, that person's memory is unreliable, no way to know if memories are real or not. This would make it impossible to learn from past experiences which I think is a necessary part of being a Christian.
It seems that psychological drugs could have the same effect; a good reason to never consent to either hypnosis or psychological drugs.
Watching reports of our government pushing the same economical policies that extended the great depression by 7 years, I wonder if the leaders of the country haven't either lost memory or had a false memory inserted.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I was listening to Dave Hunt on a radio program talking about how people can have false memories put in their brain during hypnosis, and that these are indistinguishable from real memories. Several states have outlawed court testimony from people who have had hypnosis after finding false accusations resulting from hypnotically implanted false memories. Apparently being in an altered state of consciousness opens the door for spirits to access our brains. One point he made was that once a person has had hypnosis, that person's memory is unreliable, no way to know if memories are real or not. This would make it impossible to learn from past experiences which I think is a necessary part of being a Christian.
It seems that psychological drugs could have the same effect; a good reason to never consent to either hypnosis or psychological drugs.
Watching reports of our government pushing the same economical policies that extended the great depression by 7 years, I wonder if the leaders of the country haven't either lost memory or had a false memory inserted.
Yeah, this is kinda what happened recently in the news where people were going to hypnotists to supposed uncover forgotten memories. The weird/sick thing was that most of them ended up claiming that they were molested as children, but that they had just "repressed" the memory. Well a lot of these hypnotised folks ended up going to their parents and accusing them of molesting them as children as the parents listened totally dumbstruck due to the fact that they never did such a thing. I'm not sure what became of this situation, but needless to say I'd stay away from hypnotists and those that frequent them.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Bro. Parrish

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about it, but the whole idea of hypnosis always gave me the creeps. That's an interesting thought about the political thing, that would make a good movie...
Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 AM

Parrish,

write up a synopsis of the story I have a movie producer friend I will give it to him for you.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Default I think

Hypnosis IS the same as The Power of Suggestion.

Drama;
Go to a Faith Healing. The healer orders God to heal someone that is lame. They don't know that the someone was a stage prop.
The emotions are hi. The crowd yells and sings. People cry, praise the Lord.
The person thinks God must be here, God healed this persons pain. It's gone and their dancing on the stage.
I know God will cure my Cancer Too.

Fact;
We can't order God to do anything.