Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Brother George, since you stated in your previous post that it was the last on the topic for you, I hesitate to respond, for I may force you to break your word. I will for others' sake point out that a number of the quotes that you gave concerning Job's failures were statements about God's actions toward him. Yet at the end, God says of Job's words, "for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. (Job 42:7)"
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Brother George, since you stated in your previous post that it was the last on the topic for you, I hesitate to respond, for I may force you to break your word. I will for others' sake point out that a number of the quotes that you gave concerning Job's failures were statements about God's actions toward him. Yet at the end, God says of Job's words, "for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. (Job 42:7)"
Bro. George pointed out that Job had not spoken incorrectly against God, or "presumed" as someone else mentioned earlier (in reference to Elihu, might I add). The other three men had presumed that God was punishing Job for some sin, whereas the only problem Job had was self-righteousness and perhaps a little resentment; even if that's the case, no one has any right to talk down about Job: I'd be willing to say any one of us would have "curse[d] God and die[d]" right then and there.

Their problem was presuming to know the mind of God; Job's was self-righteousness (and the list of stuff Bro. George mentioned).
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Bro. George pointed out that Job had not spoken incorrectly against God
??
Please review the section of George's last post with the subtitle "Job blamed God for his troubles:"
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
??
Please review the section of George's last post with the subtitle "Job blamed God for his troubles:"
That part had escaped my notice. However, the fact still stands: God berated everyone except Elihu and delineated everyone's faults except Elihu's. One will have to claim superiority to God to argue that Elihu messed up, since God did not attribute fault to him, while He did to everyone else involved.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM

MC, please cover the whole story. Yes, God DID NOT condemn Elihu. Also, He DID NOT commend Elihu. God DID NOT criticize Job for anything. He DID instead commend Job. I will honor the man that God honored. I will not honor the man to whom God was silent. 'nuff said. I will now join George in ending my comments.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Check Job chapters 38-41; God hollered at Job pretty harshly there; you cannot say that God did not criticize Job: in fact, he spent three CHAPTERS on Job, while He spent but a few verses on his buddies.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Job did sin (fear of evil), and in Job 42:3 he admits saying that he himself did not know all of what he spoke about. Therefore all of God's questions about hard things must have been designed to expose Job's error.

Now the positive result is this:
1. God in His mercy did cause Job to come to repentance,
2. Job prayed for his friends also, and God heard that prayer, and
3. Job and all were blessed in their lifetime while abiding on Earth.