Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Sermon on the Mount Mt 5:19

I know that doctrinally the Sermon on the mount is for the Jews.

However, can someone explain what the least commandment is?

Mt 5

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 AM

The least commandments here are some of the 10 of the Old Testament law, for they are mentioned further down the passage in verses 21, 27, etc.

Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Matthew 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Then we find the great commandment/s mentioned by our Lord later in the book of Matthew:

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbible1611 View Post
I know that doctrinally the Sermon on the mount is for the Jews.

However, can someone explain what the least commandment is?

Mt 5

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Quote:
Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
First, note that Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law. There are over 600 laws in the Old Testament. Nor did He come to destroy the prophets, major or minor. He came to completely and perfectly fulfill them. That's a tall order, especially since James teaches us that "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all" ((James 2:10).

The point? In Christ, the law and the prophets (their teachings) are perfectly fulfilled. Every jot (the smallest letter of the Hebrew letter) and every tittle (the most minute mark or point in the Hebrew letter) will all be fulfilled.

After revealing who He was, the "sinless one" and "perfect" fulfillment of the entire law (every jot and every tittle) and the fulfillment of the prophets (every prophecy), He raises a higher standard of holiness and righteousness by showing that it is utterly impossible for any person to obey them.

Quote:
Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
The term "least of these commandments" does not imply that some commandments are insignificant or less important than others, but rather, places emphasis on every single commandment, no matter how small, as being important.

Personally, I cannot address the teaching of "least in the kingdom of heaven" and "great in the kingdom of heaven" because I do not understand the difference, if any, between the "kingdom of heaven" and the "kingdom of God". (I opened a thread on that subject, and received some comments from the brethren.) I still do not have clear understanding regarding those two kingdoms.

In saying that, it appears to me that in His teaching in Matthew chapters 5-7, Jesus is setting forth a even higher standard.

For example, in Matthew 5:21-47, Jesus teaches,
  • "Ye have heard...Thou shalt not kill...But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment...
  • Ye have heard that it was said...Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart
  • It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery
  • Again, ye have heard that it hath been said...Thou shalt not forswear thyself...But I say unto you, Swear not at all...
  • Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you...whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
  • And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
  • And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain...
  • Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"

But I think the clearest example of the utter impossibility of attaining perfect obedience is in this one verse.

Quote:
"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matthew 5:48).
This command takes it out of my hands. Therefore, I must receive the only one who perfectly kept and fulfilled every jot and every tittle.

Quote:
Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Quote:
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
In conclusion, the least commandment refers to every single commandment given by God. I must simply receive the only person who fulfilled every one. JESUS CHRIST, THE RIGHTEOUS!