Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 PM

I havent been sent to this website by anyone. I came here because I came across a link to it from searching other websites about the Authorized Version of 1611. My main concern is not with the Apocrypha at the moment, but true doctrine and scripture and what edition I can find it in. I'm not a one post wonder like your judging me as. And I definately wasnt sent by some publishing company. I drive a truck for an environmental company picking up hazardous and non hazardous waste and delivering it to disposal facilities. But if I am not welcome here, I can certainly go elsewhere where I will be welcome.

Last edited by illusionznc; 12-14-2008 at 10:31 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM

Illusionist, don't fret too much.

I'm not of the the KJV mentality, and I've posted here several times in a sincere manner, with sincere questions. Mostly, I get sincere, albeit FIRM, responses.

Just be sincere, and you'll be tolerated. I'm not saying you'll find it a smooth road, but you'll find your answers. Mostly good brethern here, from what I've seen.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionznc View Post
I havent been sent to this website by anyone. I came here because I came across a link to it from searching other websites about the Authorized Version of 1611. My main concern is not with the Apocrypha at the moment, but true doctrine and scripture and what edition I can find it in. I'm not a one post wonder like your judging me as. And I definately wasnt sent by some publishing company. I drive a truck for an environmental company picking up hazardous and non hazardous waste and delivering it to disposal facilities. But if I am not welcome here, I can certainly go elsewhere where I will be welcome.

Aloha illusionznc,

If some people on this Forum seem to be a bit "touchy" it's just because we have had several "troublemakers" join the Forum lately and we may be a wee bit "jumpy".

Please stick around for awhile and browse through the many fine "Threads" and "Posts" dealing with practically anything of importance to a Christian.

If you care to - I have posted a few essays about the Bible on the Forum that you might want to check out:

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...19&postcount=1
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...78&postcount=1

These two Threads may help you in your search for the truth. Stay awhile, you may actually get to like some of us.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Thank you for the references. I will definately read them. As for people on the forums being touchy or jumpy, I can certainly understand. It does not excuse us however from scripture. I believe the Lord tells us to be quick to listen and slow to speak or anger. Like my Heavenly Father freely forgives me, I also freely forgive them. I will not however, remain in the company of a person or persons or a website where I am verbally abused.

With that said, I hope we can enjoy the congregation of one anothers company and continuous worship of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionznc View Post
I absolutely agree, and I wholeheartedly agree the King James Bible as the sole authoritive doctrine.
Well brother, that's a good start, keep studying the KJV and your confusion will be gone in no time, because the KJV is the inerrant, inspired Word of God and it's being preserved for you even today! No one is angry at you---as I said before, I hope you can honestly be helped by this forum! And I can pretty much assure you, no one gets verbally abused here unless they verbally abuse God's Word and seek to confuse others with false teachings, and I think we've had a belly full of that in the past week. Let me be among the first to say without reservation: welcome to the forum!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 AM

I have looked into the "Pure Cambridge Edition". I have compared it to a Nelson King James Bible. All the things to look for in the "Pure Cambridge Edition" listed on http://www.bibleprotector.com/purecambridgeedition.htm, such as :

HOW TO KNOW THE
PURE CAMBRIDGE EDITION OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE

It is important to have the correct, perfect and final text of the King James Bible, since there are correctors (e.g. publishers) who have changed some aspects of King James Bible texts. The final form of the King James Bible is the Pure Cambridge Edition (circa 1900), which conforms to the following:

1. “or Sheba” not “and Sheba” in Joshua 19:2

2. “sin” not “sins” in 2 Chronicles 33:19

3. “Spirit of God” not “spirit of God” in Job 33:4

4. “whom ye” not “whom he” in Jeremiah 34:16

5. “Spirit of God” not “spirit of God” in Ezekiel 11:24

6. “flieth” not “fleeth” in Nahum 3:16

7. “Spirit” not “spirit” in Matthew 4:1

8. “further” not “farther” in Matthew 26:39

9. “bewrayeth” not “betrayeth” in Matthew 26:73

10. “Spirit” not “spirit” in Mark 1:12

11. “spirit” not “Spirit” in Acts 11:28

12. “spirit” not “Spirit” in 1 John 5:8

All of these things are correct as mentioned on the site in the Nelson King James Bible except the word "cleft" was changed to "cliffs" in one verse. The reason I dont want to read the Nelson Bible I used to compare with, is because of the footnotes and references (It is a study bible). From what I have read in the forums, the footnotes can sometimes not be correct interpretations, therefore, I would prefer not to have them, and trust God to give me the correct interpretation.

I would like to know a little more in detail what difference there is from the Pure Cambridge Edition & the 1769 King James Version & the 1611 version, and whether or not the Pure Cambridge Edition contains the Apocrypha, and is the Pure Cambridge edition the same thing as the AV of 1611 ? I think if that can be answered for me, my decision will be made. And I want to thank everyone that has responded for their help! It has helped me alot in my goal for the truth.

Last edited by illusionznc; 12-15-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 AM

There are two things. One is the doctrine of having a pure Bible today. The other is the more detailed examination of editions. Learning about Psalm 12 and other passages is foundational. If you can see that God's promises include the presence of His Word today, such as by 1 Peter 1:23, 25 and other verses, that is good.

In regards to the other more scientific issues, the Apocrypha was/is part of the 1769 Edition and there is the Apocrypha for the PCE. Most KJBs do not print it though. Basically it has long been removed from taking up space in our Bibles for both spiritual and economic reasons. In reality, the Apocrypha does not constitute part of the Scripture, nor is it an essential part of the KJB. Therefore, even big sized Bibles do well to omit it (when long ago they did not).

There is one VERSION, which is a set of words based on the original languages, from 1611. This VERSION includes 1 John 5:7, etc. Differences in the construction of the underlying text would equal a different VERSION.

Likewise, there is one TRANSLATION, which is the turning of the Scripture from the original languages into English.

However, there are many different printings of the King James Bible, which are all different editions or impressions. And there are times when the early printing errors were corrected, or when there was an effort to standardise the spelling, etc., which is the definition of a MAJOR EDITION. These MAJOR EDITIONS exhibit a line of purifying from 1611 to 1769 and beyond. KJB editions today are based on the 1769 Edition, but all exhibit further small changes, differences or peculiarities. Of these, the Cambridge Edition has been seen as standard, and although there are tiny differences in Cambridge printings, there is one which is recognised as the "final standard".

Jesus said, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matt. 5:18). This is one verse which shows how important every letter is. Another is, "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him." (Proverbs 30:5). Another is, "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matt. 4:4).
Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 AM

illusionznc!! Glad to have you here!

First off, I wouldn't worry too much about different KJ editions. Just about any good KJB today will be correct. There are a few exeptions, of coarse. Like the New Scofield, which is neither a KJ or a Scofield. But most good publishers text is just fine.

If you're getting a new Bible, I strongly recommend getting a Thompson Chain Reference Bible. It has no notes, just the Bible, and over 100,000 references. So instead of reading someone's view of scripture, if you want to study further ino something you are given many references to other verses about the same thing. Best Bible I've ever had. It helps you study the Bible instead of an author's opinion.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 AM

My views my differ from others here, but "when in Rome, be a Roman". I personally prefer Cambridge or Oxford editions. One is hard pressed to find a transcription error in those two.

But if you collect such things I recommend a facsimile reprint of a 1611. You can get a Roman text type for $30 or a nice Gothic text print for $200 at the kjvstore.com.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Hi illusionznc,
You stated
Quote:
My main concern is not with the Apocrypha at the moment, but true doctrine and scripture and what edition I can find it in.
You will find that mostly every King James Bible has true doctrine. But as you now know, that the PCE has eliminated every possibility of error in presentation.
It is presentationaly pure as it is docrinally pure.
But any KJB for that matter is an excellent Bible, albeit not presentationaly pure as the PCE. [Joshua 19:2]
I too was searching for the truth, even though I knew all about the various differences in the various King James Bible editions.
Why, even by the very same publishers in the very same years, would use different editions for printing.
I think that they either did not see any differences, or that they thought it was too inconsequential to do anything about it. Also certain publishers purposed to use certain spellings.
As far as the Apocryphal books in the King James Bible, this is not a big issue.
Even in 1611 the Apocryapha was not considered cannon.
Read the title page. Plus Apocrypha means something.
The various early King James Printers already were taking the Apocrypha out at very early dates. Other printers include them, even to this day arise the odd publisher's devotion to the Apocrypha in an ignorant way.
I do not know personally when the first Bible eliminated the Apocrapha from inside the covers of the Bible.
But I do remember DR. Ruckman stating that they started taking out the Apocrapha almost right away, even though many KJBs yet contained the Apocrypha.
I have the luxury of having a few old Bibles myself a couple for each century.
Some include it and others omit it.
1612 included -publisher= Robert Barker
1663 omitted -publisher= John Field [Cambridge]
1668-66 omited-publisher= John Field [Cambridge]
1726- included-publisher= John Baskett [Oxford]
1769- included-publisher= John Archdeacon [Cambridge]
1824- omitted-publisher= George Eyre and Andrew Strahan [London]
1890- omitted-publisher= Oxford
1917- omitted-publisher= Oxford [Scofield]
1937- omitted- publisher= W. Lewis M.A. [Cambridge]
1953-omitted-publisher=Collins [J.L.Clyde Lord Advocate]PCE
1986-included- publisher= Oxford Crown edition
2003-included-publisher= Hendrickson [1611 Faxcimile]
2007-omitted-publisher= Bible Protector [PCE]
Just because I have ones that omit the Apocrypha in certain years does not mean that there was no King James Bibles out there with the Apocrypha. Sometimes they printed more than one run in a year, and so even the very same publishers would sometimes[depending on their leanings and goals for the publication] print the Bible including the Apocrypha, while another printing does not.
Some printers never printed the Apocrapha while others would include it only for historical and study skae. Some include it because they think it should be there.
I do not agree to that and neither does most of true Christendom.
PeterAV
Every word of God is pure: