Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Thompson Chain Reference Bible

Hello everyone,
I have heard about the Thompson Chain Reference Bible since I was very young. Only yesterday did I briefly see one up close an personal for the first time and I did not have much time to familiarize myself with the features. I was hoping those of you who have owned or own one now could help me to learn more.

I have spent much time on the Kirkbride web site.

I know the text is not "Pure Cambridge Edition." I emailed Kirkbride and asked if they could tell me what particular text is use, Cambridge or Oxford and the particular edition. Thus far I have not heard back, but I expect this is due to the holiday season.

Does anyone know what text is used? I'm assuming Cambridge and that it would be the 1769 edition.

Regarding the advantages or disadvantages, why would I want a Thompson Chain? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Regarding the quality of the genuine leather versions (I'm not interested in a Bonded Leather) compared to say a Cambridge or Allan (which I hear are the gold-standard or best made Bibles in the world), how is the quality? Should one be purchased from Kirkbride or are there other suppliers? Comparison of quality from other suppliers to Kirkbride?

Kirkbride makes the following claim:
"Your Thompson® Bible is "influence-free," because instead of commentary, our margins are filled with thousands of chain-references® that propel you ahead into Scripture. Scholars agree that the Bible is its own best commentary, and no other study Bible helps you go deeper into the Scriptures than a Thompson® Chain-Reference® Study Bible."
http://www.kirkbride.com/thompson-content.asp

True or false?

Anything else I might need to know?

Thank you in advance,
Harley