General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:58 PM

Default When did you believe the KJB?

It would be interesting to know when people first believed that the KJB was perfect or became King James Bible only. I'll go first:

First heard about KJBO - 1992 or 1993, could be described as TR-only

Fully believed that the KJB was perfect - 1999
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 PM

As long as I can remember, my family only used the KJB and it is what I was taught to believe. I remember hearing Dr. Ruckman's preaching tapes in the car when I was about 7 or 8, and I heard Dr. Gipp preach on the subject when he visited our church around that time, as well. Then, when I was about 11 or 12, I picked up just about any book or article on the KJB issue that I could find and read it. (My dad had books on the subject laying around the house, and we had Chick tracts and those Chick comic books and the Bible Believer's Bulletin) So, I'd say I was about 11 when I became solidly KJB-Only, on my own.

Then, when I was in high school I took Dr. Gipp's "Valiant For The Truth" course, and learned how to defend the King James Bible.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 PM

Somewhere during http://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218&page=7 this exchange of information. Especially after brother George's #69 post.
I've used my PCE and this forum and SwordSearcher to continue in my faith and knowledge.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Vendetta Ride

I was saved in 1969; I was "discipled" by some lovely, dedicated saints, who, alas, were all excited about the NASV, which was just about to be published in its full form. For the first thirteen years of my Christian life, I used the NASB and various others, but always wondered what God was really trying to say to me. Then a friend, in college, very patiently, very gently shepherded me towards the KJB, and then toward Ruckman, in 1983. That is also when I chose to become a Baptist.

My friend didn't browbeat me or revile the versions that I was using; he was wise as a serpent, and harmless as a dove. And the Lord used him. Then the Bible became a new Book to me, all uncertainty was gone, and I began to really learn the joy of having God's perfect words.

Within a couple of years, I went to PBI, and was forever "ruined" for any other version!

But, if my brother hadn't approached it so patiently and gently, I still might be using those hideous new versions. We need to realize that 99.9% of the Christians who use new versions simply don't know any better; they've bought the lies of the preachers and "scholars."
Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 PM

I met a man that gave up everything he had to travel by foot from town to town preaching the gospel. I met him at a youth mission called Solomon's Porch and he told me I needed to get a King James since all others were corrupt. I used the NIV at that time and didn't believe what he told me. He gave me a handful of tracts from tbaptist.com which set aside to read later. When I finally sat down to read them I was quite alarmed at what I read. I couldn't believe that if the things I was reading were true, why others were oblivious (or ignorant) to the fact (I hadn't met any KJB believers before this). I eventually went online to dig into the subject and ran across the site that changed my life. http://www.jesus-is-lord.com Sister Tracy helped cement the belief that the King James Bible was God's Word in my mind, and I quite promptly went down to the book store and bought a 6 dollar KJV (I was broke at the time, still am actually, lol). Later, to my amazement I saw a Cambridge goatskin presentation KJB discounted to 60 dollars, from 160 (this was 7 years ago or so). I knew at that moment that the Lord had blessed me with the greatest gift He's given me after He saved me from my sins. That Bible changed my life forever. Sadly I don't have that Bible anymore since I had to return it for a replacement when I noticed a defect in the binding. I now have a brand new replacement which I'm starting to love (I really miss the old one ) despite my now fierce distaste for the text corrections in the Cambridge reference editions that pollutes the middle of each page.

So thats briefly my journey from perVersions to God's Word. I left out some details like my encounter with "New Age Bible Versions" and the alienation I felt in all the churches I attended in my early years as a KJB believer. God has been so good to me. His faithfulness and mercy has been and is new every day. I am so thankful!

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen

EDIT: Wow, this was my 300th post!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Great!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 AM

I got to believe the KJV is the Word of God since I was in Grade One (1987). We would always check John 3:16. If it says any differently than "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son...", we would say, "That's 'revised'. That's not the Bible!"
Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 AM

Default Re: When did you believe the KJB?

I got saved at age 18 (1958) while in the Navy. I had never read the Bible before, and out of "curiosity" I bought a King James Bible on board ship from a Bible "salesman" that would come on board very so often.

I read Genesis and Exodus, but got "bogged down" in Leviticus & Numbers so I went to the Psalms {everyone has heard of the Psalms }. After reading the Psalms, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes I knew there was a God, and that the God of the Bible was the one true God (up until then I was "Agnostic" - ignorant). Shortly thereafter the Lord brought a group of young servicemen called "Navigators" and they told me how to get saved, and I received the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour in October of 1958.

From 1958 -1968 I attended Brethren, Independent Bible, Congregational, Assemblies of God. Southern Baptist, and an Independent Baptist churches and never once ever heard anything about the "Bible Issue" (as a matter of fact I was handed a couple of versions ("Phillip's" and the "Amplified") in the Brethren church that I attended - but I never used them).

In 1968, the Baptist Pastor of the Anahola Baptist church handed me a couple of Dr. Peter Ruckman's books (Rome, the Private Interpretor and The Mark of the Beast) and I heard about "Which Bible" for the first time.

Shortly thereafter, I read the Kingdom of God vs. "the Kingdom of Heaven" (today - "The Sure Word of Prophecy") and decided to check Ruckman out on the "Which Bible" issue. I learned to read the "Critical Apparatus" for the "Nestles Text", and the "Critical Apparatus" for the "American Bible Society Text", and initially spent over 500 hours checking out the manuscript evidence and the "scholars" inconsistent support for "readings" from any manuscript that corrected the King James Bible and became convinced that there was "Something Rotten in Denmark" (the "scholars" personal bias for corrupt manuscripts & their sheeted hatred for the Textus Receptus and the King James Bible especially).

I find it instructive that for the first 10 years of my Christian life, not one pastor, assistant pastor, deacon, or "official" church worker ever once mentioned the Bible "Issue" (not even the pastor that handed me brother Ruckman's books).

From 1968 - 1988 I wasted a whole lot of time researching the "Which Bible Issue" {Somewheres between 12,000 hours and 15,000 hours} only to come to the conclusion that the best way to deal with the "issue" is to show believers the "difference" between the King James Bible and all of the "per-versions" and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. [John 16:13; 1 John 2:20, 1 John 2:27]

Over the years since 1968 I may have influenced perhaps a dozen people on the "Which Bible Issue", but I have never convinced anyone to believe in the King James Bible through the knowledge that I had obtained about the Manscript evidence; the history of the "transmission of the text of the Bible; the so-called "Text Types"; etc; etc.

I have found that the most effective tool is a comparison of per-versions with the King James Bible and I would advise most of the brethren to skip most of the "technical stuff", because no matter how much you may learn - you cannot "convince" the brethren on this issue through the "intellect" (It is practically impossible to convince "Christian" School (University & Seminary graduates - Humanistic "skeptics" and "sophists"), no matter "how much" you may know.)

In the end, believing in the King James Bible comes down to whether you will accept what God says about "preserving" His Holy word; and whether you will believe {in your "heart" - not your "mind"} that He has kept it. And of course the final step is whether you are willing to accept the King James Bible as your "Final Authority" - in all matters of faith and practice.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 AM
aussiemama

Good question. I actually believed the KJB to be the word of God before I was saved. It had to be this way for me because I needed an ultimate authority before I would understand (and even when I did understand I was pretty stinking rebellious).

My whole life I have grown up in church, anything from Baptist to Brethren to Presbyterian to Non Denominational etc. Whatever my father felt was best at the time. My father used to be a liberal KJV man where he thought it was "best" so we "used" it. But eventually when I became a teenager he began to think modern versions were better and easier to understand.

I was very rebellious at this time, so I liked being able to choose whatever Bible suited my fancy, and I chose the NIV. Not so much conviction of sins from the NIV. Right when I was reaching the height of my rebellion, I learned about the KJB only position. I had been playing Christian for my whole life (18) at this point. I researched the issue "intellectually" and became TR only from that. Later on someone pointed out to me Psalm 12:6-7 that the Bible was perfect. Before that I thought that the KJB was "the best, but because it was produced by men it had 'some' error". Although I was both rebellious and unsaved at this point, I desperately wanted to be saved, so if the Bible said something, I would believe it.

Once I was shown Psalm 12:6-7, I believed the KJB was perfect, but I didn't yet believe that it was given by inspiration. I actively fought against those that did and tried to get the world to "see that they were heretics". Bro Vince and his lovely wife Kathie could elaborate on this, and Luke, and drbible's son also. I just constantly attacked and worked against these people.

Thinking I was saved and all, I later married an American man (I'm from Australia originally) two years ago. At the time he was a TR man, but with the help of our pastor has become KJB only. After we had been married about a year, I began feeling much conviction on my life. In March of this year, I was saved. I became KJB only about three years ago.

Will share more of my salvation testimony at another time as I have small boys wanting mama's attention!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Mine was a step by step thing, first I had an NIV, wanted a more literal Bible, so I bought an NASB, then started learning a bit about text-types, and became TR "leaning" and bought a New King James, after that I read a book by an Anglican Bishop who recently passed away, who said the King James was the most accurate ,scholarly and Blessed, expression of the word of God in the English. I had so much Respect for Rev. Tarsitano, I tested his claims, bought a King James, and never regretted it! God is good! Blessings.