General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Re: "Capitalizing certain words"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
I certainly don't intend to offend anyone with my choice of capitalization, but out of respect for God's Word, also called the Bible or the Scriptures, and His magnification of it in Psalm 138:2, I capitalize it when used as a title. We have no problem in capitalizing Holy Bible, or King James Bible, or King James Version, or Authorized Version. Those are all titles given by men to the book that is also called the Scriptures or the Word of God or God's Word. It in no way diminishes the LORD Jesus who is the Living Word of God. It in no way takes from His Glory.

My apologies to those who are bothered by my position. It is not done casually with lack of attention or purpose.

A note about the comment about "the paper". When I show respect to the Bible, it is not the physical material that is being honored. That is where the "electronic" problem becomes an issue. I do treat my physical Bible carefully, but it is not because it is hallowed. I do not believe that any who capitalize "Word of God" or "God's Word" in their statement of faith are reverencing the physical printed page but what is printed thereon.

Aloha Brother Tim,

I am pretty much on the "same page" as you are on this issue, and for the very same reasons that you have given.

On the other hand, I take no offense if other Christians do not choose to do what I do (none whatsoever). It took me years to come to the conclusions I have reached, and I do not think that it is a "doctrine", as much as "respect" for God and my Saviour; and clarity when it comes to distinguishing between the written "word" and the INCARNATE Word.

I do not believe that the King James Bible translators were showing "disrespect" towards God or His Holy word in their choice of Capitals or lower case, any more than I judge another brother (or sister) in Christ today by their choice of either.

Its NOT about "Capitalizing" or NOT "Capitalizing" - it's all about whether we genuinely LOVE the Lord Jesus Christ (our Lord & Saviour) and our FRUITS!

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM

And I wholeheartedly agree with you, Brother George. I am not bothered in the least by another's decision on this capitalization. I teach children every day and train them to capitalize the pronouns referring to God, as well as the words, "Bible" and "Christian". I do not correct the other words unless the grammar rules apply, that is, use as a title of a book. To be blunt, most people don't pay much attention to the capitals because they have not had or have forgotten the rules of grammar. I am unable to tell from a post whether or not it is a determined preference, a lack of knowledge, or simply a typo.

For those who feel strongly about it, I hope that we can all recognize our individual liberties in this minor matter.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
For those who feel strongly about it, I hope that we can all recognize our individual liberties in this minor matter.
I can't imagine how one would be offended over this issue. Sadly, one of the "excuses" I have been told for not embracing the KJV is that it doesn't capitalize personal pronouns for God.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Sadly, one of the "excuses" I have been told for not embracing the KJV is that it doesn't capitalize personal pronouns for God.
As has been said when explaining about other so-called "deficiencies" with the KJB, if we "fixed" all the capitals to satisfy the whiners, they would just move to the next one on the list.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm not offended by anyone here doing it.

Should have made myself clearer. It's the Bible correctors who do it mostly. Capitalise Word for the written word when they don't even believe it is infallible and inspired and they put their paraphrase on the same level as deity. It's also their way of saying "The Bible doesn't matter, we have Jesus, the Word", and they subtlely diminish the neccesity of the written word by doing so.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 PM

tHE eND.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Ditto and kudo's