Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM
evstevemd

Default Alcoholism and smoking

Simple question what is wrong with th above.
I believe it is both sin to practice. but then need scripture and explanations
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 AM
fundy

Hab 2:15 Woe unto him that giveth his neighbor drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!
Hab 2:16 Thou art filled with shame for glory: drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD's right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing shall be on thy glory.

This verse gives clear indication of Gods thoughts on drunkenness. It also put paid to the claims of liberal christians that Jesus supplied the wedding guests at Cana with alcoholic wine.

1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

As far as I know, smoking is not a subject directly dealt with in the Bible, but the principle of the the above verses can be applied to any self indulgent action that is harmful or debasing to your body, including intentionally sucking poison gasses into your lungs or intoxicating yourself with alcohol.

hope this helps,

Fundy
Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 AM

Fundy,

I agree with you my friend. Unlike most people in the world that are part of the anti smoking rampage. Most of the world hates smoking, but think drinking is ok. I'd say smoking is no where as bad as drinking. However, smoking is not a good thing to do at all. I smoked for a while after I got saved. I did quit, but it took a little while.

Atlas
Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM
timothy

I was a smoker before I got saved. i loved smoking as much I loved having that first cigarette of the day with coffee. When I got saved on January 27, 2005, the very first thing I was convicted of was my smoking. It didn't seem good to me to be a Christian and smoke at the same time. I put the cigarettes down on Febuary 4th, 2005 and, through prayer and the grace of God, didn't pick it up again.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
fundy

Your right Atlas, while the cost to the community and individual in health concerns are high,smokers dont come home and bash their wives after chain smoking 15 cigarettes, or cause death and destruction on the roads. Mobs of addicted smokers dont go on rampages after sporting events or stagger around looking for the opportunity to punch someone.

The acceptance of alcohol use by the community as a normal part of daily life is crazy. Someone once said that if alcohol was a new product being introduced to the market today, it would be banned immediately.

Most of the people our age at Church, me included, have spent part of their lives drinking, smoking, doing drugs etc..... its easy to look down upon those people that are still doing these things and forget that the only thing that makes me different to them is Jesus.

1Co 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

fundy
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

I, being a youth, have seen the addictin effects of video games-even "appropiate" ones.
"A recent study" (Oh, how I hate that cliche) shows that people easily have the exact same addiction-showing symptoms as people addicted to drugs and alcohol. The drug of my young generation isn't drugs, it's gaming-because churches lack the backbone to rebuke Christians who play games. I could rant all day, but I have been freed from the chains of gaming for 8 month now.

Thank you, Jesus.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
timothy

Anything can become an addiction if you let it... Interesting thing about the gaming post, I used to play games all the time... I cut down to where i just play madden from time to time... too busy to even do that these days being married and all...

Funny thing about all these people wailing on cigarettes and the evil of it (maybe not so funny but sad...) all the time they're saying how unhealthy cigarettes are, they're turning a blind eye to the obvious dangers of homosexuality or sex out of marriage, even applauding those who partake in such an addiction...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
jerry

It might be beneficial to show passages against addictions (including cigarettes/cigars/tobacco use).

Some are:

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Smoking fails both of these verses: it brings someone under its power, and does not edify them (spiritually or physically).

One verse that is great for resisting temptation and addictions:

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM

This is one verse I've found invaluable:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Some real good answers to this question, only thing I would say is not to focus on the actual subject of the addiction i.e. cigarettes alcohol etc but what are the underlying causes!!!
We know the physical and mental processes involved but there is also a spiritual side to them as well. Lets face it folks struggle with these and other addictions to and I am not talking about the lost either. In our churches are hidden prople who need help and setting free, but sadly church for them is not dispensing the 'Balm Of Gilead' but rather denunciations and condemnation..
Anyone struggling can find help here..
http://www.reformu.com/
Every Blessing...