Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi Folks,

Thank you Luke for your excellent additional sharing. That is one element I love about the Bible versions discussions, the skeptics and correctors and cornfuseniks, with their challenges, impel us to look more closely at the word of God, which often brings forth greater insight and understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesundayschoollessons
So, that level of education makes them perfect men? This is a logical fallacy called an "argument from authority." It does not prove anything.
FSSL, the fallacy is 100% yours, since I never claimed that they were perfect men. There is a fancy Latin name for the fallacy "putting words in the mouth of somebody that he never spoke", we can call it straw man.

The King James Bible translators were men uniquely skilled at a perfect time with a refined and pure source text to help give us a perfect Bible.

All I did was share with you a bit about their unique skills, as well as what we have seen on the skill level of bible-correctors doing bible-corrections.

You should consider what I shared instead of jumping to contusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesundayschoollessons
I have many versions of God's Word and am under the authority of all of them.
"A house divided against itself...". You have no settled authority, your authorities contradict each other, and thus your house of version babble cannot stand.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Last edited by Steven Avery; 05-18-2008 at 05:52 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
FSSL, the fallacy is 100% yours, since I never claimed that they were perfect men. There is a fancy Latin name for the fallacy "putting words in the mouth of somebody that he never spoke", we can call it straw man.
Fair enough. I should have said "perfect translators." If you are going to play fair, you should retract your logical fallacy as well. An appeal to authority does not change the fact that "strain at" is an absolutely wrong, unsupported translation.

The Greek is clear. The contemporary versions in 1611 are clear. What else do you need to see that it is a mistake? These fine men who admitted to the possibility of errors with their translations, missed it.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesundayschoollessons View Post
I have many versions of God's Word and am under the authority of all of them.
This statement is absurd on its face. You have offered up your corrections of the KJV here, and yet claim to be under its authority. That simply makes no sense, no matter how you parse it.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:00 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
"A house divided against itself...". You have no settled authority, your authorities contradict each other, and thus your house of version babble cannot stand.
Why is it that you guys use verses out of context to smear us? I am not demon-possessed.

You seem to have a problem understanding the idea of "authority." God's Word is my authority. There are internal issues with the KJV, that does not mean it is not my authority. See my post on Psalm 12 on this thread.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesundayschoollessons View Post
Why is it that you guys use verses out of context to smear us? I am not demon-possessed.
Nobody said you are demon-possessed! You have claimed multiple authorities. In truth, you have no authority insofar as the Bible goes, because, as you have demonstrated, you decide which words and verses you will accept in any of them. Do you honestly not see this?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Nobody says I am demon-possessed? Maybe not with those exact words, but a poster above used this passage against me: ""A house divided against itself..." My point is that if you (not yourself, but the poster above) is going to cast me off as a person with no biblical authority over him, then using passages against me, like the above, just make me chuckle.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
In truth, you have no authority insofar as the Bible goes, because, as you have demonstrated, you decide which words and verses you will accept in any of them. Do you honestly not see this?
This authority stuff is silliness. I really have no debates with Psalm 12 in the KJV. It makes perfect sense and I find it a comfort that God promises to take care of the godly in a wicked world. His word can be trusted because it is pure. He will preserve me (and all of us, His sons).

The "strain at a gnat" issue: sure, there are problems with the KJV. However, a fair reading of my article demonstrates clearly that I am not about trashing God's Word. I read it, look at the grammar, historical context and where the versions differ, I investigate why there are differences.

If I were rejecting God's Word as my authority, I would simply say "This does not mean this, it means that" and go on. Read the article above. I do not take that approach. I offer the meaning that is supported by the languages, context and historical context. Then, in my discussions, I go on to edify others with what I have found.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Iron Sharpens Iron

Quote:
I have many versions of God's Word and am under the authority of all of them
I am so glad I have only two authorities. One is my husband, and the other is my Bible, and since they agree, I really have only one.

How in the world can you have so many authorities and obey them all?

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Now we know who the author of confusion is, don't we?

Psalms 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

My life is so simple! God keeps my Book, and my life.

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Your authorities don't agree with each other how can you be agreed?

This may be a simple way of looking at it. But I believe in the simplicity of scripture and the simplicity in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

In Christ Love, Renee
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Quote:
I am so glad I have only two authorities. One is my husband, and the other is my Bible, and since they agree, I really have only one. How in the world can you have so many authorities and obey them all?
I have God's Word. The issue is, and no one is providing a passage for me, where does God make it clear in Scripture that He would preserve His Word in the KJV alone?

As far as the following verses are concerned, you are pulling them out of context:

About prophecies in an out-of-control Corintian church, not people having to reconcile textual differences:
1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

What is being preserved are the poor in verse 5. Nothing in this passage suggests that God is preserving His word:
Psalms 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

About two people failing to make an appointment. They will not walk together because they had not planned to walk together.
Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

The application of this verse can go either way. It is either against the KJVOnly or against me. I will not judge you. I will simply offer what I believe to be true, support it biblically and let the Holy Spirit illuminate.
2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
freesundayschoollessons

Now, does anyone have any suggestions about the article? Seeing that this forum is for edification, I am interested in rubbing this piece against some iron. I have already made an adjustment to this based on some background communication.