Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Default Honest question about the KJ capitalizations

What is the rule of thumb when capitalizing the word "king" in the KJ? When should it be King or king? Or is there even a standard? Honest question with an honest inquiry.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektim View Post
What is the rule of thumb when capitalizing the word "king" in the KJ? When should it be King or king? Or is there even a standard? Honest question with an honest inquiry.
There is certainly particular and exact rules covering the use of the word "King" in regard to capital letters and lower case.

The word "king" is lowercase when used as a title or as a name.

When referring to God it is capital. At the start of a sentence or quoted speech it is capital.

When Jesus spoke of himself as "a king", he is using the general sense, not the specific.

Once these things are understood, we find that the man Melchisedec had a name which was prophetic of Christ. Melchisedec was merely a man, a king. But his name signified Christ, "King of ..." See Hebrews 7.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 AM

So its pretty standard rules of English then?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Standard rules of Biblical English.

Not standard rules of modern English, or even 17th century English.

GT, thanks for the question!! It exposed a wonderful little secret signal about Melchisedec (thanks to Matthew's response) that I had never noticed. I had simply assumed if the name "King David" were in the Scriptures, then it would be capitalized based on the standard rules of English regarding titles. This was not so. Wow!

Last edited by Brother Tim; 05-29-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Standard rules of Biblical English.

Not standard rules of modern English, or even 17th century English.

GT, thanks for the question!! It exposed a wonderful little secret signal about Melchisedec (thanks to Matthew's response) that I had never noticed. I had simply assumed if the name "King David" were in the Scriptures, then it would be capitalized based on the standard rules of English regarding titles. This was not so. Wow!
When people try and point out "inconsistencies" in KJB grammar, the problem is that they don't understand the Bible English rules. Bible English actually makes sense, and it is (probably) always more involved than the simplistic modernist view makes out. (Which is why the modernist misses so much, and why there is a complete lack of "divinity in the details" of modern versions.

Very soon I will have a small booklet dealing with the exactness of Biblical English on my website. It is about these kinds of truths I call "glistering truths".

Updaters and "correctors" will say, "glistering", that's obsolete, that's archaic, that's nonsensical to the modern ear. But the very truth, the very exactness of God's Word in English, is given using exactly these things.

That is why "thees" and "thous" and capitals and lowercases and all such spelling issues should be retained and kept now as they have been received out of the proper KJB tradition.

There is absolutely no need to change perfection of the Word.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM

GT, is your mouth too far open to allow your fingers to type?

I have been walking around since reading post #2, chewing on this uniqueness of the KJB. What a gem!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Just for some help: why in Acts 25:13, 26, 36:2, & 19 does the 1611 us a lower case "king" and in Acts 25:24, 26:7, 26, & 27 use an upper case "King"? I am using the facsimile of the 1611 provided by e-sword. Not sure what the "PCE" says. But could someone explain why it goes back and forh.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM

GT, in your academic work, you are often required to write papers. Good practice is to create a rough draft and then refine it. Later, when the paper is examined, the professor does not go back to the rough draft and question why you said thus and thus. In 1611, the translation was completed. With the PCE, the presentation has been refined to its final form.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Good illustration I guess. BTW - "often required to write papers" is an understatement. Constantly required is more like it

Can you post what the PCE has for Acts 26:27? From what I can tell, but not sure, it reads a capital letter "King" whereas the rest doesn't.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Ah, my dear Biblical-English-impaired friend, Acts 25:24 and Acts 26:27 both have "King Agrippa", while the rest (25:13, 25:26, 26:2, 26:7, 26:19) have "king Agrippa". Keenly observant fellows will notice that "King" in 25:24 is the beginning of a direct quote, therefore capitalized. "King" in 26:27 is the first word in the verse and therefore capitalized.

"Elementary, my dear Watson."