Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM

This is a discussion that took place quite a bit in patristic writting if I recall correctly, but more so during the reformation (especially the radical reformation). Some believe it is possible for a Christian to completely put away the ways of the flesh. I personally don't think we can put away all sin in our lives. If someone were to achieve a state of perfection it would be not of his own doing, but of God.

Philippians 2:13 (KJV) For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I think that's very important to remember. I also think it is equally important for us to remember that there are going to be rewards awaiting us in the Kingdom (Crowns?), and that we should be completely focused on fulfilling God's purpose for us here while we sojourn in the world.

Ephesians 2:10 (KJV) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I for one want to serve the Lord primarily because His pleasure is my pleasure. I've sometimes thought that when I finally see my Master smile that I will loose it, quite literally. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The smile of the Lord is the greatest jewel in Heaven. The second reason I want to do good works in this life is because there is a reward awaiting me if I should stand fast in God's purpose.

Revelation 22:12 (KJV) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Paul talked about perfection, which fits this thread.

Philippians 3:8-14 (KJV) Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Let us also press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus!

Peace and Love,
Stephen