Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Comparing spiritual things with spiritual things it is evident that God's people practiced burial which would be an example, although not a commandment.

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

• Abraham was buried (Genesis 25:8-10)
• Sarah was buried (Genesis 23:1-4)
• Rachel was buried (Genesis 35:19-20)
• Isaac was buried (Genesis 35:29)
• Jacob was buried (Genesis 49:33; 50:1-13)
• Joseph was buried (Genesis 50:26)
• Joshua was buried (Joshua 24:29-30)
• Eleazar was buried (Joshua 24:33)
• Samuel was buried (1 Samuel 25:1)
• David was buried (1 Kings 2:10)
• John the Baptist was buried (Matthew 14:10-12)
• Ananias and Sapphira were buried (Acts 5:5-10)
• Stephen was buried (Acts 8:2)
When there is not a commandment I feel that following Biblical example is wise and there is certainly examples given in Scripture on this topic as you suggested.

Also consider this passage in I Corinthians 15:

35  But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

The typology is planting a seed. A farmer does not destroy his seed before planting (cremation), yet he plants it whole (burial). The seed (body) decays naturally in which comes a new life (resurrection).

Also, could we consider the instances where a body was burned up as an act of God's wrath and not a good thing.

This Scripture appears to say here that it is a transgression:

Quote:
1  Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Moab, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he burned the bones of the king of Edom into lime:
Old 07-18-2009, 02:13 PM

It doesn't matter one way or the other. These biblical examples of burial, the burning of bodies, are just shadows and similitudes.

Col*2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Col*2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Col*2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Col*2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Col*2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Col*2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Col*2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Col*2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Col*2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

Col*2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

Col*2:22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Col*2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:23 PM

I agree with sis Jennifer, that it doesn't matter one way or another.

If God was able to form the dust of the ground into a man, surely he is able to gather up the dust of the ashes of a man from cremation, and make him into a man once again! Even if that dust is scattered to the winds, do you doubt the Almighty God's ability to gather up every last bit of dust and remake that person's body?

Jeremiah 32:17 - Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:
Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Sisters,

Quote:
I agree with sis Jennifer, that it doesn't matter one way or another.

If God was able to form the dust of the ground into a man, surely he is able to gather up the dust of the ashes of a man from cremation, and make him into a man once again! Even if that dust is scattered to the winds, do you doubt the Almighty God's ability to gather up every last bit of dust and remake that person's body?

Jeremiah 32:17 - Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:
It's not that it would be too hard for God.

But considering what the Bible has to say, if anything about a certain topic. We should do that with any decision we make. While we may have our liberty as Christians to do as we please in this matter, it is a good thing to compare Scripture with Scripture. The Bible is not completely silent on this matter...The example is there. You will not find a positive Scripture verse in regards to a body being burned.

As Wingwiper stated it is a stumbling block for a lot of Christians. For me that is also a good reason to avoid cremation. Perhaps it is ok to cremate, but I feel we should use our Christian liberty to not be a stumbling block to a weaker brother.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Sisters,

It's not that it would be too hard for God.

But considering what the Bible has to say, if anything about a certain topic. We should do that with any decision we make. While we may have our liberty as Christians to do as we please in this matter, it is a good thing to compare Scripture with Scripture. The Bible is not completely silent on this matter...The example is there. You will not find a positive Scripture verse in regards to a body being burned.

As Wingwiper stated it is a stumbling block for a lot of Christians. For me that is also a good reason to avoid cremation. Perhaps it is ok to cremate, but I feel we should use our Christian liberty to not be a stumbling block to a weaker brother.
So, then, according to the Bible, you believe that the Lord will not resurrect those who have gone against what you feel is His teaching from the Bible regarding burial? He will REJECT those people as not doing His clear will?

Mind you, I'm not planning on being cremated myself. Burial is very expensive these days though. My own parents pre-purchased their burial plans. They'd purchased burial space in a masoleum - which is rather like a tomb, as Christ was buried. My father died last March, so he was buried in the masoleum (I hope I'm spelling that right!). My parents are Catholic though - so I don't know what Catholics teach about that.

What should people do if they cannot afford burial expenses?

Jassy
Old 07-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So, then, according to the Bible, you believe that the Lord will not resurrect those who have gone against what you feel is His teaching from the Bible regarding burial? He will REJECT those people as not doing His clear will?
What!? Please quote me where I said that.

Quote:
What should people do if they cannot afford burial expenses?
Frankly I don't care what they would do. I am trying to give WingWiper things to consider in his search for "the" answer...if there is one.

I said and I quote "for me" I would not choose cremation.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM

On further reflection there is more here that was erroneous:

Quote:
you believe that the Lord will not resurrect those
Never was said.

Quote:
His teaching from the Bible regarding burial?
I said there was no teaching specifically, just example.

Quote:
He will REJECT those people
Certainly never said that.

Quote:
His clear will?
Nope, not a clear will. Don't think I said that either. There IS a clear example. But not a clear will or commandment.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Frankly I don't care what they would do. I am trying to give WingWiper things to consider in his search for "the" answer...if there is one.

I said and I quote "for me" I would not choose cremation.[/QUOTE]

Well said................Thanks.

Thank everyone so far for their posts............good stuff. You guys make some good points............although I read 1 or 2 where maybe my original post is not understood or folk are reading me the wrong way. Let me make sure that I clarify if I misled anyone that I am looking for wisdom and discourse on the subject of cremation. I'm a disabled vet in a wheelchair, when this old body gives out.............help yo self, I'm out of here. Worm food or dust...............I don't care.

I am not trying to pull Old Testament or Old Covenant doctrine, scripture to this dispensation........... not looking backwards if you will. I am fully aware of 2 Tim. 2:15 as many of you pointed out and well taken (I'm in the right place!) and know when we read--- we are to be aware as to who is speaking and to whom is being spoken to. I was only offering as someone mentioned some shadows from the Old Testament but never said that it was or is Pauline Epistle. I offered only examples.

Just looking to see if anyone knew direct scripture for yea or nea on the subject. They're not questioning their salvation or eternal security..............., but more on is there a scripture directly on the subject. Yes...............I agree that it does not matter because we already have the victory, shadows we learn by, the law is our schoolmaster, etc.

I would suggest maybe that the normal burial today vs. Jewish burial I referenced to (Old Testament) is just as heathen as cremation due to the fact we duplicate (in part) the Egyptians in regards to embalming, preserving the body into the afterlife. I'm sure there is someone that would disagree with that, but there's a big difference in wrapping a body in linen, putting it in the ground vs the process of burial today. Embalmed and preserved for what............? I'm sure the environmentalists or maybe someone here would argue that point.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
What!? Please quote me where I said that.

I said and I quote "for me" I would not choose cremation.
Sister Amanda,

I apologize to you. I spoke very rashly, without thinking and zeroed in on one thing. It wasn't at all what you had intended or meant. Doing that was very out-of-character for me, and I think that most people here that know me would realize that was not the way that I have consistently responded here.

I seemed to be having a bad day! I'm sorry that I didn't think more and prayerfully contemplate before I responded.

That is why I have taken a break yesterday from posting.

Jassy
Old 07-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
I didn't see anyone claim anything like that. I don't understand what was said that would lead you to that conclusion.

The Bible only shows God's people being buried. We look forward to having our bodies resurrected and glorified. Of course God can put all the right parts together even if my body is vaporized in a nuclear explosion, but because I trust in the promise of resurrection, I want my body buried in honor and recognition of the work God intends to do, not burned to ashes as if my body has no future use.

I don't see any Scriptures indicating it is a sin to have your body cremated, so there's nothing to be dogmatic about here either way.