Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union
Default Trouble defining a word in the KJB

At the Christian high scool I go to, we are starting to memorize Philippians 2, two verses a week. My NIV teacher said that he would accept me giving it as written in the King James Bible. This week was the first two verses.

"If there be therefore, any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same mind, being of one accord, of one mind."

He asked me, "what do yo think bowels means here?"

I replied, "I haven't looked into why they used 'bowels' in this context, but I will find out".

I am a nag in my teacher's side for finding information in defense of the KJB, since it crushed the modern versions.

But, I lack understanding here. Why is bowels used in this context? Is he referring to the intestines? I see no other definition for bowels.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
jerry

In certain countries that term is used to refer to the seat of the emotions - kind of like saying "with all my heart." Bowels and mercies - the idea would seem to be tenderness and care for others, which the context bears out.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM

For the record, jerry, could you give me a reference for that, that in other countries, "bowel" is "the seat of emotions", just like heart?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 AM
jerry

Webster's 1828 Dictionary says this:

Quote:
1. The intestines of an animal; the entrails, especially of man. The heart. 2.Cor.6.12.

2. The interior part of any thing; as the bowels of the earth.

3. The seat of pity or kindness; hence, tenderness, compassion, a scriptural sense.
Way Of Life Encyclopedia lists this as one of its definitions:

Quote:
Emotions; compassion (Ge 43:30; 1 Ki 3:26; 2 Co 6:12; Php 1:8; 2:1; Col 3:12; 1 Jo 3:17).
Strong's Concordance gives this definition:

Quote:
probably strengthened from splen (the "spleen"); an intestine (plural); figuratively, pity or sympathy:--bowels, inward affection, + tender mercy.
Easton's Bible Dictionary gives this:

Quote:
(Php 1:8; 2:1; Col 3:12), compassionate feelings.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Interesting, I suppose I'll have to stop using a bad dictionary and get Webster's 1828, like I've been wanting, perhaps Way Of Life as well.

Thanks jerry.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
jerry

Brandon's Swordsearcher program has it included in it (Brandon's program - with all that it contains - would probably still be cheaper than trying to buy Webster's 1828 Dictionary in print). You can also do a search for it online. I know there is one you can actually use online, though I forget the url. The Bible program is neat because you can just click on a word in your Bible, and it will bring it up in Webster's.