General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 AM

Standard Oxford KJV Leather- My first bible as a child
Zondervan KJV classic 1983 w/ condordance Leather- Oxford text I think.
1611 Hendrickson facsimile print Leather
NKJV chronological / archaeological study bible
NKJV standard - Belonged to my wifes grandmother , its sentimental

Old Bibles
Geneva 1560 w/apocrypha -scans
Geneva 1599 - modern spelling -scans
ERV 1885 -scans
1640 bay book of psalms -scans

Then I also have those dreaded modern versions

NASB word study bible w/condordance-references
NASB life application study bible
NIV - good for a fresh look at some harder to understand verses.

Also a Dead Sea Scrolls Bible (not really a bible but more of a study as its paperback) that does a word for word comparison on every page between the DSS , Masoretic text and the LXX. With this handy book I know what each one says compared to each other word for word.

On the Computer in Text or E-Sword I have
KJV
KJV 1611
Geneva
Bishops
LXX
Textus recepticus
Nestle-Aland 27th
NASB 95
NASB 71
Masoretic Text
Kittels Latest Edition w/DSS Varients
Wescott & Hort first edition GNT
Latin Vulgate - Stuttargt / Jerome
1900 Cambridge from Bible Protectors site
and many others

Last edited by Tmonk; 01-08-2009 at 06:54 AM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM

I've never read the Bible through. I have never had one bible that I use most. I still need to determine how to read and study the Book. So, I think I'm going to take advice I got on another part of this forum and use Scofield. Now where to start reading?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Gospel of John, I think it's one of the best books in the Bible. If you get a Scofield Bible, get the Scofield lll version.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM

Actually, my pastor recommended the Old Scofield (from like, 1917 I think) because if said they change stuff in the newer ones. I was thinking about just starting in Genesis and just reading through like a regular book, what do you guys think?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Actually, my pastor recommended the Old Scofield (from like, 1917 I think) because if said they change stuff in the newer ones. I was thinking about just starting in Genesis and just reading through like a regular book, what do you guys think?
Great advice, my first Bible was the 1917 version. The revisions have been done by the publisher's as Mr. Scofield had long since passed before and revisions, so they are not his.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Great advice, my first Bible was the 1917 version. The revisions have been done by the publisher's as Mr. Scofield had long since passed before and revisions, so they are not his.
Ditto!
I am waiting on the Collins PCE leather bound edition,the ISBN was provided by Bibleprotector. Once i recieve it,i will give a review.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about just starting in Genesis and just reading through like a regular book, what do you guys think?
That is were i am starting. My flesh is weak and does not want to keep reading. I get interested in other books of the Bible than get distracted. Short attention span.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Default Old Scofield is Better

Quote:
If you decide on Scofield, then by ALL MEANS get the old one 1917.
The text has not been fiddled with like the modern Scofield Bibles.
Some should get kicked out for using the term King James.
Personally, I do not go to the Study Bibles at all.
Some of the notes may be great but they do detract from your actual reading of the text.
You can read your Bible in only 7 weeks at the rate of an hour or two a day.
[30 pages].
Seeing that my eyes grow dim, I try to use a larger print Bible.
I particularly like cross reference Bibles. The column is usually in the centre, but some are ushered to the margins.
PeterAV
Every word of God is pure:=PCE KJB, Namely, The Holy Bible.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Scofield. I like the Evidence Bible because of the helps. And as I've compared it, it really does seem as though all they've changed are the "thee's and thou's" and endings like -est and -eth. Do you guys still think that's changing too much?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Scofield. I like the Evidence Bible because of the helps. And as I've compared it, it really does seem as though all they've changed are the "thee's and thou's" and endings like -est and -eth. Do you guys still think that's changing too much?
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. (Proverbs 30:5 KJV)

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. (Matthew 24:35 KJV)

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. (Psalms 119:160 KJV)

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. (Deuteronomy 4:2 KJV)

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22:18-20 KJV)

The Evidence Bible is an abomination! It's full of Lordship Salvation heresy and is rank with changes to God's preserved Words.

God's Word is sufficient for ALL men.

Peace and Love,
Stephen