Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
Hi Tony, thanks for the additional links. I will be very busy for a while. Peopleoftheway, thanks so much for the chart, now I have to figure out how to print it out.
Tim, I concur with POTW and he gave you advice cannot be topped. Read Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and then read the most type-rich book of all Paul's letters, Philemon, if you want to systematized Paul's "theology", Philemon is the capstone of Grace Age doctrine, the substitute. Note how Paul offers to pay for whatever Onesimus stole, Paul was innocent of any theft but made the conviction of repaying it himself, as Christ did for us. Imagine Onesimus returning with this letter himself after fleeing from Philemon, after stealing from him, and Paul's begging Philemon to accept Onesimus as a brother now, not a servant. The book is rich, my friend, I wrote a paper in college on it and just could not stop running references. Read these books to be grounded in who you are and where you are and remember brother George's advice in another thread: We can get so embroiled in the battle for the Bible we get our eyes of the front line: Soldiers for Christ. Make Him the center of all you do, all you study, because that is what the Scriptures are all about. We are not representatives for The Dean Burgon Society though I thank God for them, but ambassadors for Christ, ministers of the reconciliation.

Grace and peace and we are here to help you anytime we can.

Tony
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Love the chart, reminds me of Clarence Larkin...
Clarence Larkin drew some wonderful charts didn't he, all available in swordsearcher as well
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Hey Brother

Another piece of History that might serve you well is how The King James Bible was translated and a brief overview on the steps that were taken in the process of translation in comparison to the translation by Westcott & Hort.
Below is a short section regarding both translations, in which the discerned reader can clearly see striking difference.

Lets Start with Westcott & Hort, all the evidence is fact and can be referenced via searches on the web. I think that the snippets im about to post were originally from William Gradys Book "Final Authority" or can at least be verified in that book.

Facts about Westcott and Hort

Brooke Foss Westcott (1825-1901) and Fenton John Anthony Hort (1828-1892) were the two English "scholars" who produced the corrupt Greek text of the modern versions.

1. Together, the Life and Letters of Brooke Foss Westcott and the Life and Letters of Fenton John Anthony Hort run over 1,800 pages. A personal salvation testimony is not given once for either man, and the name "Jesus" is found only nine times!

2. Westcott was a firm believer in Mary worship, and Hort claimed that Mary worship had a lot in common with Jesus worship.

3. Hort believed in keeping Roman Catholic sacraments.

4. Hort believed in baptismal regeneration as taught in the Catholic church.

5. Hort rejected the infallibility of Scripture.

6. Hort took great interest in the works of Charles Darwin, while both he and Westcott rejected the literal account of Creation.

7. Westcott did not believe in the Second Coming of Christ, the Millennium, or a literal Heaven.

8. Both men rejected the doctrine of a literal Hell, and they supported prayers for the dead in purgatory.

9. Hort refused to believe in the Trinity.

10. Hort refused to believe in angels.

11. Westcott confessed that he was a communist by nature.

12. Hort confessed that he hated democracy in all it's forms.

13. Westcott also did his share of beer drinking. In fact, only twelve years after the Revised Version was published, Westcott was a spokesman for a brewery.

14. While working on their Greek text (1851-1871), and while working on the Revision Committee for the Revised Version (1871-1881), Westcott and Hort were also keeping company with "seducing spirits and doctrines of devils" (I Tim. 4:1). Both men took great interest in occult practices and clubs. They started the Hermes Club in 1845, the Ghostly Guild in 1851, and Hort joined a secret club called The Apostles in the same year. They also started the Eranus Club in 1872. These were spiritualists groups which believed in such unscriptural practices as communicating with the dead (necromancy).

15. The Westcott and Hort Greek text was SECRETLY given to the Revision Committee.

16. The members of the Revision Committee of 1881 were sworn to a pledge of secrecy in regard to the new Greek text being used, and they met in silence for ten years.

17. The corrupt Greek text of Westcott and Hort was not released to the public until just five days before the debut of the Revised Version. This prevented Bible-believing scholars like Dean Burgon from reviewing it and exposing it for the piece of trash that it was.

QUESTION: Does this sound like an HONEST work of God or a DISHONEST work of the Devil?

When I read this (And then in more detail) looked into the translation of modern texts, I became more certain on how corrupt they are in comparison to the process of translation by the KJB Translators as examined next.

Translating the King James Bible

Unlike Westcott, Hort, and the R.V. Committee, King James went through great efforts to guard the 1611 translation from errors. Please note the following:

1. In 1604, King James announced that fifty-four Hebrew and Greek scholars had been appointed to translate a new Bible for English speaking people. The number was reduced to forty-seven by the time the work formally began in 1607.

2. Rather than working together all at one location, these men were divided into six separate groups, which worked at three separate locations. There were two at Westminster, two at Oxford, and two at Cambridge.

3. Each group was given a selected portion of Scripture to translate.

4. Each scholar made his own translation of a book, and then passed it on to be reviewed by each member of his group.

5. The whole group then went over the book together.

6. Once a group had completed a book of the Bible, they sent it to be reviewed by the other five groups.

7. All objectionable and questionable translating was marked and noted, and then it was returned to the original group for consideration.

8. A special committee was formed by selecting one leader from each group. This committee worked out all of the remaining differences and presented a finished copy for the printers in 1611.

9. This means that the King James Bible had to pass at least FOURTEEN examinations before going to press.

10. Throughout this entire process, any learned individuals of the land could be called upon for their judgment, and the churches were kept informed of the progress.

QUESTION: Does THIS sound like an HONEST work of God or a DISHONEST work of the Devil?

There is obviously a lot more information regarding the translations and the methods used, but using the comparison in the two, it is clearly evident that
the Learned men who translated the KJB had nothing to fear as they have been faithful in their translation and unknown to them were used of God. On the other hand Westcott & Hort were clearly serving man and money.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 AM

I was looking for the book Final Authority by William P Grady and came across this video.
By William P Grady:
http://www.mogulus.com/gradypublications
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM

William P Grady:Final Authority,same video as above.
Part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yaA...eature=related
Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDLnI...eature=related
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC0Ym...eature=related