Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Bro Tim

It's all good. I agree with you. Barry is your friend, I respect that. But I would not let him run over you.

Hey, what happened to all the talk about flying saucers and aliens?

Check out this video of astronaut Gordon Cooper and his UFO experiences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVfycf3ZcQA
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM

NOW I see what I was doing wrong! I was told to use a FORK, not a SPORK! Silly me!

One of my kids in class keeps picking at a scab on his elbow (especially during our devotion time). I tell him every day that he is going to cause a scar by continually messing with it. I guess Barry is my scab.

Truly, I look forward to that day when God will finally give me freedom from the need to answer Barry. I sense that the day is fast approaching.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
[Psst... I was hoping to totally hijack the thread before we are all carted off by the guys in white jackets.]
Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Bro. Tim, why does Jesus tell them to go through so much trouble just to say you're forgiven if you're supposed to just forgive everyone no matter what? The conversation in Luke 17 is the same as Matthew 18, they just give different details and you can't get the complete statement without reading both. There are many more times when this happens such as Jesus' statement on divorce and remarriage, some of the parables (the 10 virgins to be specific), the prophecy of the three days and three nights, and probably a lot more.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM

Kevin, I appreciate your response. I'll make a couple of comments.

The Matthew 18:15-17, in my opinion, does not have to do with another believer calling me names or mocking me, as Barry has done. Instead, I see it as having to do with settling a more substantial wrong, a trespass. I don't think that Jesus intended for me to drag Barry in front of my church (logistically difficult) every time he makes a joke or sarcastic remark about me. [since step 1 and step 2 have already been tried, and did not work] Besides, most decent people already consider him "a heathen man and a publican".

Second, Matthew 18 and Luke 17:1-5 are not the same incident being repeated in the Gospel. Offense and forgiveness are the topics being discussed in both, but the setting is not quite the same. It is not the same conversation. Jesus, as a perfect teacher would have repeated His messages under varying circumstances.

Yes, there is different information given in Luke, but the context shows that "offenses" is the center of the conversation. The passage in Matthew 18:21-35 was in response to Peter's question, so the focus was on forgiveness (see verse 35).

Boy, are we (I) off-topic!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post

LOL, I agree brother, some of these folks need to go start a thread called "Barry." That is, unless Barry is an alien...

Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Tony, two statements:
1:When you have been around Barry, and talked with him as many times as I have, on and off the record, then you will have the right to judge him and me.

2:No prophet was carried into heaven by a fiery chariot. Read the Scriptures exactly, and don't depend on memory or old Negro spirituals.
Tim, sometimes we get too close to the forest to see the trees. I was employed at one time in reading intercepted messages, study the vocabulary, word usage, then read back this or that thus I was able to determine, with the work of others employed in the same manner, who wrote what that ended up at Andrei' Gromyko's desk in Moscow. If there is enough to work from you also judge motives. I made a study of 5000 words, my personal minimum, of our subject and determined it was more profitable for my time spent welcoming, encouraging, and edifying Tim(Boaz), Clint, Beth, and all the rest(including you)here rather than the slapfight over there. Nothing has changed since the Yahoo Wars, so here I park.

My reading of II Kings two was that the horses, the chariots, the horsemen, and Elijah were carried to heaven, conveyed, by the whirlwind. I stand corrected if I'm wrong brother.

Tony
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
Well, brothers & sisters... At risk of sounding "nutty" - I will give my own experience. About 35 years ago, I was in a car with my family. I was in the backseat and we were driving back on a very dark highway, returning home from visiting my grandparents. My father was driving and had his eyes on the road, my mom (also in the front seat) younger brother and 2 older sisters were all sleeping. (We had a station wagon at that time.) My younger sister and I were awake. There were no streetlights out and the only lights came from car headlights on the highway. It was pretty late and the highway was not very busy. I remember sensing something very bright overhead and looking up and seeing something that I didn't know what it was. I pointed up at it and my little sister looked up and I KNOW that she saw it. In the next split second it made a very strange movement (it had been hovering) and it went one way and then another way - extremely quickly, like a zigzag and then it was gone.

We went home and to bed and never talked about it. I had the strangest, creepiest feeling about it and really didn't want to discuss it. I would say I was probably about 14 or 15 at the time. Many years later, I would bring it up and my sister would deny ever seeing it.

I can't really describe the shape or much about the visual appearance of it, I just remember it was like nothing I'd ever seen before - and, especially notable, was the way that it MOVED...

Jassy,

I am gradually going back and reading all of these experiences, thanks to you and Bro. Tony for your stories and the others who took time to type out what happened to them. I notice you and Winman had the same negative or "creepy" feelings after seeing these things, that is very interesting.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Jassy,

I am gradually going back and reading all of these experiences, thanks to you and Bro. Tony for your stories and the others who took time to type out what happened to them. I notice you and Winman had the same negative or "creepy" feelings after seeing these things, that is very interesting.
Bro Parrish,

I was trying to remember back in these posts... I think it was you that had asked if any of these people have had any of these experiences since being saved by faith. For me, YES once, last year. It was around Christmas time - and I didn't have up any Christmas lights and there were colored lights in the sky - way up beyond the tops of the trees. No one had Christmas tree lights up there. And since I didn't have any Christmas lights up... it wasn't being reflected onto the window.

I've just reported what I saw. I'm not saying it's anything good or bad. It just happened and I saw it. I don't know what to make of it. I cannot write myself off as crazy because I'm very grounded in the Word of God. Besides that, I looked for every other possible explanation. Were there any lights around that could be reflecting into the sky? Was it just a one-time fast thing? I left that window and came back and looked from several angles, and it was still visible.
I tired of looking at it and don't know what ever happened.

What was it? No idea. I'm not saying it was aliens or something out-of-the-ordinary. Just something that I couldn't find an explanation for.

In fact, I don't believe in aliens or spaceships. As I said in my last post, there are things that we don't know about - inventions, stuff the government hides from us, the ability to cloak objects (yes it is REAL) and make them actually "disappear" although they are still there. Such things are invented for a purpose - which may not be a good one.

Still my trust is in the Lord and His Word.

Jassy
Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM

http://www.thebereancall.org/node/4915