General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hillbilly View Post
I can sum up most of my reading in one name, Louis L`Amour.
Yes!

I enjoy his books too, Grumpy. At one point, I had most of his books, in paperback, and have read just about every book he wrote.

I'm currently rereading all of his books, as many of them I've not read in twenty years! I just finished Bowdrie the other day, and am planning on reading Bowdrie's Law tomorrow...the public library is a wonderful place!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 AM

Ok, here is a question for all the readers out there. When do you like to read? Do you have any sort of routine you do when you read?

Personally I don't have any routine, but I do have difficulties reading when there are people around making noise. I usually try to read when everyones in bed or out on errands. I also prefer to read in the evenings, but really wish I could get into things in the morning.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Rightful_Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Ok, here is a question for all the readers out there. When do you like to read? Do you have any sort of routine you do when you read?
I read during my lunch break at work and I always keep reading material in my car for one of those unexpected "Ma'am it'll be about a 30 minute wait" situations. And I like to take my own reading material into a doctor's office. People in the waiting rooms there are not always the healthiest and I don't care for sharing reading materials that sit around all day in a contageous environment.

Another question about reading: what books do you introduce to your children as they become of reading age? I remember growing up on Sugar Creek Gang, The Bobbsey Twins, Five Little Peppers, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Walter Farley's Black Stallion series. When I was older, Zane Grey, Emily Loring and Grace Livingston Hill. I read each of Zane Grey's books at least 3 times.

My mom used to read to us before bedtime. I remember The Yearling, Bambi and Little Women. I'm convinced the bedtime reading time that was a family ritual instilled my love of reading. First part of reading was always from the Bible and second half of reading was fiction. She seemed to always find a cliff-hanger chapter to finish the session and it always left us eager for more!

I also remember learning to crochet and embroider during the Billy Graham Crusades (on radio) and later even a bit of Mystery Theater.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Stephanos,

Quote:
When do you like to read?

Most of the time at night. My wife and both read in bed before we go to sleep. I read reports and all mostly in the day time when I'm working. I have to read a lot with my line of work.

Atlas
Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Anytime possible: I always have a book in my hand to read wherever I go.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightful_Thinking View Post
I read during my lunch break at work and I always keep reading material in my car for one of those unexpected "Ma'am it'll be about a 30 minute wait" situations. And I like to take my own reading material into a doctor's office. People in the waiting rooms there are not always the healthiest and I don't care for sharing reading materials that sit around all day in a contageous environment.

Another question about reading: what books do you introduce to your children as they become of reading age? I remember growing up on Sugar Creek Gang, The Bobbsey Twins, Five Little Peppers, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Walter Farley's Black Stallion series. When I was older, Zane Grey, Emily Loring and Grace Livingston Hill. I read each of Zane Grey's books at least 3 times.

My mom used to read to us before bedtime. I remember The Yearling, Bambi and Little Women. I'm convinced the bedtime reading time that was a family ritual instilled my love of reading. First part of reading was always from the Bible and second half of reading was fiction. She seemed to always find a cliff-hanger chapter to finish the session and it always left us eager for more!

I also remember learning to crochet and embroider during the Billy Graham Crusades (on radio) and later even a bit of Mystery Theater.
I would read to my children (if the Lord were to bless me with a wife and chittlins that is) Where the Red Ferns Grow, since this was the book I still remember my mother reading me. I would also read to them The Hobbit, since this was the book that inspired me to get into reading. I also would read Scripture to them as well every day.

Thanks for the response btw.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Anytime possible: I always have a book in my hand to read wherever I go.
Me too, Magoo. But I can't read in a room where a television is blaring. Today I took a friend to the eye doctor (she wouldn't be able to drive home with big, dilated zombie eyes), and I took a book on Harry Truman with me. But the waiting room had a huge TV with Fox News on it. Fox News is okay, but I wanted to read my book - - - and it took me about two hours to read three or four pages! I had to keep going over and over the same paragraphs.

What's really bad is when you're in a position where you can't escape the noise, like a dorm or a prison or an army barracks. I'm glad I'm not in that position any more!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Me too, Magoo. But I can't read in a room where a television is blaring. Today I took a friend to the eye doctor (she wouldn't be able to drive home with big, dilated zombie eyes), and I took a book on Harry Truman with me. But the waiting room had a huge TV with Fox News on it. Fox News is okay, but I wanted to read my book - - - and it took me about two hours to read three or four pages! I had to keep going over and over the same paragraphs.

What's really bad is when you're in a position where you can't escape the noise, like a dorm or a prison or an army barracks. I'm glad I'm not in that position any more!
That's why my TV be Gone is with me wherever I go

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 AM

Default Tole lege!

J.C. Ryle... Anything he wrote!

John Bunyan... Rich! Besides Pilgrims Progress (which Pastor Spurgeon tried to read each year) and "The Holy War"... and "The Jerusalem Sinner Saved." ,try and get a copy of "Life and Death of Mr. Badman". It is kind of the reverse of Pilgrim's Progress.

John Gill's Commentaries.

Adam Clarke's Commentaries.

R.C. Sproul... Get his book titled "The Holiness of God"! About half way thru this book you will want to find a cave to hide in... This is NOT a big hugs and kisses/fun-group/warm-n-fuzzy kind of book.

Louis L'Amour--- Good stuff. The Short Stories are very good, Including the Texas Ranger stories about Chick Bowdrie.

Ann Coulter---- Great wit and humor. Not afraid to tell the truth about the commies in our country. Get her book titled: "Godless"---The Church of Liberalism.

Arthur Conan Doyle--- The Sherlock Holmes Mysteries!

Clive Cussler----Good stories !

The Book of Common Prayer.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Rightful_Thinking

Thanks to all who have contributed (and who are still contributing) to this list. I've jotted down several titles of books to add to my library.

I need a break from the TV... we've been immersed in election coverage for so many weeks and I need something uplifting!!! TV goes OFF!!!

(Well, except for *Whale Wars* on Animal Planet)