Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
MDOC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Heh -- I can. You might start with Jehudi!
You mean Jeremiah 36? Don't be silly, that's exactly what I'm talking about.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #12  
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Paladin54's Avatar
Paladin54 Paladin54 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union
Posts: 169
Default

Tell them how you really feel, Brandon.
  #13  
Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Gord's Avatar
Gord Gord is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Now explain to me what Jesus, the Lord, God in the flesh, the incarnate Word, was doing appealing to physical written words if those words are not indestructible and perfectly preserved and not themselves truth?
And of course he did not quote any of those perfectly preserved words from a KJV.
  #14  
Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 AM
bibleprotector's Avatar
bibleprotector bibleprotector is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
And of course he did not quote any of those perfectly preserved words from a KJV.
That is like saying that you better not read the English Bible, because Jesus did not speak in English to the Jews.
  #15  
Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Gord's Avatar
Gord Gord is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
That is like saying that you better not read the English Bible, because Jesus did not speak in English to the Jews.
Maybe that is the problem, ENGLISH, because I clearly did not say "you better not read the English Bible", what I did say (just to remind you again in English)
Quote:
And of course he did not quote any of those perfectly preserved words from a KJV
to in plain English bolster the argument that the early fundamentalists did not have the KJV,
Jesus did not have the KJV,
nor did the appostles quote from the KJV
for example when Matthew quotes Isaiah 40.3
Quote:
"For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Matt 3:3 (KJV)"
Maybe ENGLISH is the problem, not what version it is quoted from.
  #16  
Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Steven Avery Steven Avery is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord9
Jesus did not have the KJV, nor did the appostles quote from the KJV for example when Matthew quotes Isaiah 40.3

Quote:
"For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Matt 3:3 (KJV)"
Hi Gord9,

Just to be clear, there are no quotation marks in the King James Bible itself. I realize you put the quotation marks around your quoting the King James Bible however a reader might mistakenly think that Matthew put quotation words around the words of Isaiah. Quotation marks indicate representing the exact, or almost exact, words. Many NT references to the NT give the writer's and speaker's exegesis (or midrash, if you will) along with the Tanach (OT) reference. And these textual nuances and insights are inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 40:3
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness,
Prepare ye the way of the LORD,
make straight in the desert a highway for our God.


Later some Greek OT texts were incorrectly 'smoothed' to match the inspired writers. The classic case of this is Psalm 14. Tampered to match Romans 3 as a single quotation/reference.

Knowing the evidences (including the DSS, the Peshitta and Vulgate and Targumim and the Greek textual history and more) we can conclude this type of tampering occurred in the Greek text line on Isaiah 40:3 as well.

Shalom,
Steven
  #17  
Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Gord's Avatar
Gord Gord is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Just to be clear, there are no quotation marks in the King James Bible itself. I realize you put the quotation marks around your quoting the King James Bible however a reader might mistakenly think that Matthew put quotation words around the words of Isaiah. Quotation marks indicate representing the exact, or almost exact, words.

Shalom,
Steven
Thanks, I originally put the quotation marks in manually then before posting I decided to use the html tags and forgot to remove them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Later some Greek OT texts were incorrectly 'smoothed' to match the inspired writers. The classic case of this is Psalm 14. Tampered to match Romans 3 as a single quotation/reference.

Knowing the evidences (including the DSS, the Peshitta and Vulgate and Targumim and the Greek textual history and more) we can conclude this type of tampering occurred in the Greek text line on Isaiah 40:3 as well.
More of us (myself included) would be wise to spend more of our time in this study so that we all could spot and understand these textual nuances and insights are inspired by the Holy Spirit.
  #18  
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Diligent's Avatar
Diligent Diligent is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma, USA.
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
And of course he did not quote any of those perfectly preserved words from a KJV.
Now you're changing the point -- though your point is one easily addressed, it isn't what I was talking about. MDOC's claims were without regard to language -- that Christ is the Truth, not the written word. So I was pointing out how Christ dealt with the written word in his earthly ministry.
  #19  
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 AM
MDOC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Now you're changing the point -- though your point is one easily addressed, it isn't what I was talking about. MDOC's claims were without regard to language -- that Christ is the Truth, not the written word. So I was pointing out how Christ dealt with the written word in his earthly ministry.
He knows that.

Joh 14:6
(6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Deu 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

And this is found in your perfect KJV in ink.

Last edited by MDOC; 05-01-2008 at 09:00 AM.
  #20  
Old 05-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Diligent's Avatar
Diligent Diligent is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma, USA.
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDOC View Post
He knows that.

Joh 14:6
(6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Deu 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

And this is found in your perfect KJV in ink.
Of course Jesus Christ is the truth -- but so is the written word, as the Bible amply demonstrates.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com