General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Tandi

Hello Buzzoff,

Welcome from another newbie!

Each year I buy an inexpensive Pew Bible (KJV) that I can read without distraction, underline, write notes in, etc. I enjoy looking through these Bibles to see what I wrote or what insights I had that particular year. Here is the Bible I have purchased the past couple of years:

http://www.amazon.com/Boldtext-Pew-B...1021695&sr=8-1

It is from National Publishing Co., 1978 (less than $9)

I also use the Bible Pathway devotional guide to keep me on track for reading through the Bible in a year. This will be my 23rd time thru the Bible:

http://biblepathway.org/

I have several nice study Bibles, but this method for my private devotional reading works well for me. I agree with the others that commentaries and references can be distracting when you just want to hear from God through His Word each day.

Shalom,

Tandi
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Welcome and remember this...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it! (Look at the fruit of the KJB)

Stick with the King James Bible, God preserved word.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
I've prayed a lot and I'm just still confused!

The good news?
1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
He will put order in your heart and mind.

I also use the Cambridge King James Bible with no footnotes. And yes, in time you will discover that the Holy Spirit will specifically teach YOU more and more through the written word of God. That does not mean He does not and will not use others, but our final source of authority is His written word preserved in the KJB.

Quote:
Josh wrote: The Holy Spirit will guide you in understanding the Bible.
You can trust God the Holy Spirit to speak to you directly through the written word of God. You should also delight in the fact that as a believer the incarnate Word is in you. "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" (2 Corinthians 13:5). Therefore, you should, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:" (Philippians 2:5).
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
The word of God is "spiritual" and is taught to us by the Holy Spirit. That puts us all on equal ground. You have the word of God. The incarnate Word (Jesus) is in you. And you have the Holy Spirit.
1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Quote:
Brother George wisely wrote: If I want to know what other men "think" about a verse (or subject) in the Bible, I buy their books and read their "opinions". I personally don't like their "opinions" mixed in with the Holy words of God! And I certainly don't rely on other men for my understanding of Scripture.
We certainly have men who teach, but we do not need man's teachings in order to know the truth. Trust God for spiritual understanding and wisdom.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha buzzoff1031,

(with Large enough Print for comfort)
For me reading comfort depends more on the type of font than the size. I've seen Bibles in which the words were large or "extra" large print, but they appeared "fuzzy" or "blurry" (most Nelson Bibles are like this). The best readable font for me is the Ryrie (I pretty much ignore the notes) plus it has good cross references in the margin and room for notes. I also use a Cambridge.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM

Well, since everyone is telling what Bible they like, I'll recommend the Thompson Chain Reference Bible
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Ok. So stick with the Scofield. Now the next question is, how do I go about reading and studying the Bible? And how much time per day or week to spend in each?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Yes. Read with all confidence that you've got God's perfect word and your final authority open right in front of you. If you do read Scofield's notes, which are not too distracting since they are clearly offset on the page (I have an Old Scofield too), just remember not to let him come between you and the Holy Spirit in understanding Scripture.
That's good advice for you, BUZZ.

I would recommend reading and studying the notes in your Old Scofield Bible. Run the references that are linked together, for it is a good start to getting a "handle" on the Book. The Scofield Study System is actually a great starter for those interested in getting into the Bible and having the Bible get into them! You'd be surprised at how many men of God started out with that particular study Bible. (It's true!)

I won't suggest that you ONLY use this means of reading/studying, but it surely is a tremendous source for learning. As you learn, you'll graduate to more than what Scofield has to offer, and rightfully so, for the man missed plenty (as the "learned" men on the site here fully know). I'd say that you can trust him about 95% of the time, but it would benefit you to cross out any remarks contrary to the printed text of the King James Bible.

Having said that, get into the Book. Read until you're "full". Study what sparks your interest, or search out any questions that arise from your reading. Go at your own pace, and stay in touch with the forum for help and encouragement.

P.S. The King James Bible is inexhaustable and supernatural! You won't get it all, but it can "get" you. One month before I left for Bible school, an alumni of the school said to me, "That Book will really clean you up." (I smiled but did not fully understand what he meant.) He was right!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM

I agree to read and study at your own pace(just don't let the Devil trick you into being lazy in your reading "at your own pace"... he's sneaaky like that).

I would highly recommend staying out of other people's notes however. The Bible is the Word of God, the notes are the words of men. Reading notes and allowing them to affect how I understood certain passages really had me confused on the verge of being led astray from what the Holy Spirit was teaching for a while.

The Scofield Bible is fine, but I would use it for it's references, not its notes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Re: " Yet Another New Member..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Ok. So stick with the Scofield. Now the next question is, how do I go about reading and studying the Bible? And how much time per day or week to spend in each?
Aloha Buzz,

I notice that you are getting what appears to be some "conflicting advise". My advise to you in my Post #4 (this Thread) still stands, but both pbiwolski and Josh are right (if you take a moment to consider:

I believe that pbiwolski is right - that the Scofield Reference Bible is probably the best Reference Bible out there. And most of Scofield's comments are Biblically sound (ignore the few places where he "corrects" our Holy Bible though).

Scofield can be of some help in rightly dividing the word of God - BUT do not depend on men for your understanding of Scripture!

And this is where brother Josh is also right. You must be extremely careful with all notes and comments in these kinds of Bibles (Scofield's, Thompson's, etc.). That is why I do not use Reference Bibles for reading and study (their OK for REFERENCE purposes only - but not to be relied on for spiritual understanding). The first 15-20 years of my Christian life I used to use them for reference - I no longer use them at all.

I have written a very short study on: "How To Study The Bible" (which is an "outline" on some of the things to look for and be aware of in studying the Bible). You can find the study on my web site at: http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/HOW...E%20-%20WP.htm if you care to check it out.

I do not make any claims that the study is "perfect" or that I am "infallible", but there are some very basic things that every Christian should be aware of when they study the Scriptures, and I have tried to include most of the things that I have learned about studying the Bible after 50 years of being a Christian.

Whatever you do - don't get discouraged in your studies. Setting times (minimum time to read) or amounts (number of pages to read) is artificial and can lead to hurried reading (with little understanding); or discouragement; and possibly even boredom.

The Bible is unlike any other book on earth! It is a "spiritual" Book, and as such, it takes "spiritual understanding" - which only the Holy Spirit can give. Remember: "Bible" Schools, Commentaries, and Reference Bibles can give you Bible "knowledge", but only God can give you Scriptural "discernment", "understanding", and "wisdom".
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
The Scofield Bible is fine, but I would use it for it's references, not its notes
I don't care to defend Scofield (in particular) or any study Bible, but reading and studying the notes found in a study Bible is not so different than sitting and studying under your pastor in Sunday School.

Both are men attempting to teach you from the word of God. Neither claim perfection. In either case, your education should always be pre-empted by the position that the words of God as they stand in the King James Bible hold final authority.

If you don't mind, Josh, I'm curious as to what/who's notes led you astray?

Last edited by pbiwolski; 01-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.