Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
I have a question about Revelations chapter 12, especially verses 3 and 4: And my question is concerning the great number of people who were possessed by devils or unclean spirits in the gospels. In the Old Testament you really do not read accounts of this often, and in the later books of the New Testament you do not hear about it so often as well. But during Jesus's ministry, it seemed to be commonplace. I have wondered if there was a period of time when there was a great number of these devils that has not been before or since, and that perhaps Revelations 12 is describing this.
I believe Rev 12:4 is yet future and will be during the Tribulation, and that those devils and unclean spirits in Jesus's day were here possessing & tormenting man long before the Lord was manifested in the flesh. I also believe the flood of Rev 12:15 is literal water: "And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood."

I've too have often thought about why there was so much demonic activity in Jesus's ministry, and concluded that it was predominantly to demonstrate who Jesus was, being God manifest in the flesh on earth he also forced the spiritual realm down here to manifest itself, he had that power and also gave it to his disciples. Many in Israel believed Jesus was the Messiah because of the miracles he performed, including casting out devils, so for that reason there was so much demonic activity. I do believe those devils and unclean spirits (familiar spirits Lev 20:27; Deut 18:11) were around a long time before Jesus arrived, possibly ever since the garden of Eden, or before, I know not when, or whether they are fallen angels or the spirits of some other fallen created being?

Mark 1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

Mark 1:34 And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.

John 2:23 ¶Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 PM

Don't be fooled into believing that those devils/unclean spirits in Jesus's day were a one time occurance, they have been just as rampant and busy in the lives of men since that time and up until now, if not more. Jesus also exposed them so that God's people wouldn't be ignorant of their activity, and Bible believers throughout the centuries have been protected from their influence because we have the indwelling Spirit and the instruction manual from God which warns us of them.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.