Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
ericwgreene

Wow.... That is a lot of responses... I will take the time to read them shortly as I am interested in what all of you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to write. By the way, I am thoroughly familiar with the theological perspective of all of the Bibles I listed. I am interested in not only deepening my own convictions but also I like to learn why others think the way they do. I find it helps me minister to people more effectively... Thanks again for the many responses, I look forward to reading them all...

Soli Deo Gloria!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
ericwgreene

Hey George,

Quote:
I find it "instructive" that you joined this Forum on 09/17/08 and have made three Posts (all on 09/17/08-see below), the first which takes the Scripture out of "context" and presumes to know our motives; the second where you "malign" a fellow Christian brother in Christ; and the third where you give us your personal "preferences" for three different "Authorities" that you "prefer" to guide you in your "studies".
We will have to agree to disagree on the "context" issue. I know what my KJV says and I stand by it, so you must be wrong.

Concerning Mr. Ruckman, Chette777 mentioned something negative about him. I would encourage you to get with him about spreading rumors against Mr. Ruckman.

Just as Mr. Ruckman guides many of you, I choose other teachers whom I believe are better Bible teachers.

I hope that helps resolve any confusion.

Thank you for the welcome to the board!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:37 PM
ericwgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
PeopleoftheWay, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The best "study" Bible is one that requires you to read the Scriptures, rather than jump to the explanation by a man just below the text. Well-meaning or not, accurate in their interpretation or not, the notes printed within the covers of a Bible cause less prayerful study by oneself and more reliance on someone else for the understanding of the Word.
Brother Tim - why go to preaching services then? Why go to Sunday School? Why teach anyone? What is the difference between written instruction and verbal instruction? According to your logic we should all lock ourselves away with just a Bible lest we be affected by someone else's interpretation...
Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 PM
ericwgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
http://www.ericwgreene.com/

site speaks for itself, promotion of Lordship salvation.
Peopleoftheway - very good research... I am impressed...

Explain to me your understanding of Lordship salvation and explain to me why it is unbiblical....
Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 PM
ericwgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Well, that's one of the biggest mix ups I've ever seen :P

Reformed Theology + Lordship Salvation + Free Grace Dispensationalism

How do you know which commentary is right brother?
Luke - very good... except Ryrie is Moderate Free Grace not Free Grace. He wrote a book called "So Great Salvation" in response to both John MacArthur's book "The Gospel according to Jesus" and Zane Hodges "Absolutely Free". As I am sure you know MacArthur is Lordship salvation and Hodges is Free Grace.

I myself am a Reformed Baptist (2nd London Baptist Confession, 5 Solas, 5 Points of Calvinism, Baptistic Covenant Theology, Amillennial).

I choose to reference the works of many different theological perspectives to deepen both my own convictions but also to understand the perspective of others.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
ericwgreene

Quote:
Also does the Reformation Study Bible even come in KJV? I can not even find a Reformation Study Bible, KJV online. All I can find is an ESV or NKJV.
Personally, I prefer the ESV. But, my church is KJV-only. So when I teach I use the KJV. Years ago I used to be KJV-only and led my SBC church to change the constitution to be officially KJV-only. I even attended the Beale Street Blast back in 2004. My pastor is KJV-only and preaches from Ruckman's commentaries. Currently, I own http://www.biblepreachingarchives.org but I am in the process of transferring it to a KJV-only person as my convictions have changed.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Hodges is just nuts. He isn't even preaching ANY gospel. There is no death, burial or resurrection in his gospel. I don't think he stands for free grace. I think he stands for fire insurance. A man doesn't even need to know about the cross, sin, or the deity of Christ to be saved according to hodges. At the least, Macarthur and Ryrie are in agreement on the foundation of Christianity, that Jesus is God, born of a virgin, died for the sins of the world.

I know hodges believes them as well, but he denies they are part of the facts to be believed in when getting saved.

I don't know why you say very good though. Was I sitting an exam?

You may find this is not the forum for you friend, but you are most welcome. Do not be surprised when your reformed theology is rebuked, refuted and generally ignored.

Let me state this clearly though. We are NOT Arminian. We are mostly Bible Believing Baptists, although I believe there are a few Open Brethren on here as well. We believe, well most of us do, in Eternal Security of the Believer, and the FREE gift of God, received through faith in His Son Jesus Christ. We are dispensational in beliefs, and many of us respect the writings of Dr Ruckman.

Our dear brother Stephen is a mennonite and loves God dearly, and while he has had heated discussion with the forum over certain issues, he has done it in a manner of grace and love that is uncommon amongst many Christians.

So welcome to the forum
Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
ericwgreene

Hey Luke - thank you for the response...

You were not sitting for exam, I was just complimenting you on your knowledge.

I would never accuse anyone here of being Arminian. Before I was Calvinistic, I was much like all of you and I hated it when Calvinists would call me Arminian when in fact I was not.

I am not here to be a jerk. I would like to share some things I have come across in my own pilgrimage. I am sure I will not be here for a long time, but as I am passing through I appreciate the hospitality.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
quotes by ericwgreene

"I know what my KJV says and I stand by it"

"Personally, I prefer the ESV."

"I myself am a Reformed -Baptist"

"my convictions have changed"

"I choose to reference the works of many different theological perspectives to deepen both my own convictions but also to understand the perspective of others."
Reformed Baptist is an Oxymoron. I'm having a hard time making sense of the rest of these statements. This is quite an amalgam of "many different perspectives". I call it ecumenism, or compromise.

No offense meant EWG. Thanks for sharing from your pilgrimage as you pass through.

I have listened to some of biblepreachingarchives a long while back. Anyway, you got a lot on your plate to fulfill "(2nd London Baptist Confession, 5 Solas, 5 Points of Calvinism, Baptistic Covenant Theology, Amillennial)".
Is there room(time wise, or theologically) for the Great Commission?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Is there room(time wise, or theologically) for the Great Commission?

Or any point, since all the elect will be saved...