Missions Support For missionaries and those who wish to support them. This forum is strictly for missions aid request, support, praise, and prayer. Off-topic posts will be deleted unceremoniously!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Default English in countries where English is not the primary language

To Bible Student:---Hello there. I've read several of your posts and have wondered ...hmmmm?...I wonder if...?

Years ago, in January 1979, The Lord saved me after I sat down and read my Bible {the Book of Revelation in one night} after being challenged by a young woman in my apartment complex---to take it out of it's original box-{which I got for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade-about 8 years of age.} and actually read it, rather than guessing and musing about "God-stuff"...

I few weeks later after I started attending church with her and her fiance and a small group of Christians. They pitched in and bought me a NASB Study Bible as a present. Sooo, I saw an advertisement in a Christian magazine for people to send their unused/extra Bibles to the Phillipines for distribution to believers who didn't have much money. I packed up my old Christmas present--{ Collins with a zipper cover and some art pictures inserted into the books that tied in with the thing mentioned...I remember one was the widow's son being healed/raised, and I think another one showed Jesus calming the wind and waves on the Sea of Galilee...it had a black cover and the print/font was much better than the current stuff being printed.}

So, after reading some of your posts, and seeing that once you mentioned a "jeepney"--- ( I've been at Subic, Clark and Manilla)- I know what that is...I wonder if maybe---that KJ-A.V. Collins with a zipper got over to the P.I. and was used for good. Hope so, though I must say I am surprised because Tagalog is the Mother-tongue, and English is a second spoken language, but it is American English mostly learned from American Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen/Marines ---not the more lofty and difficult english of the A.V....therefore it is good to see your posts and to see that you have a webpage with your Baptist Church. Carry On! Hope your throat/voice get better!

Last edited by PB1789; 06-01-2008 at 07:37 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post
To Bible Student:---Hello there. I've read several of your posts and have wondered ...hmmmm?...I wonder if...?

So, after reading some of your posts, and seeing that once you mentioned a "jeepney"--- ( I've been at Subic, Clark and Manilla)- I know what that is...I wonder if maybe---that KJ-A.V. Collins with a zipper got over to the P.I. and was used for good. Hope so, though I must say I am surprised because Tagalog is the Mother-tongue, and English is a second spoken language, but it is American English mostly learned from American Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen/Marines ---not the more lofty and difficult english of the A.V....therefore it is good to see your posts and to see that you have a webpage with your Baptist Church. Carry On! Hope your throat/voice get better!
"Hmmmm?" What does that mean? Seems to me that you are saying that if people send KJVs, English tracts, and Sunday School materials, these will all be in vain? That's how I understand. I read your reply at least 3X. Pardon me if I don't get it.

But let me tell you that I can preach in English for three hours, but can't finish a sermon in straight Tagalog. I speak Hiligaynon (Ilonggo) and English most of the time, and when I preached in Tagalog Manila last December (2007), my sermon was 95% English. Nope, Tagalog is not my "mother" tongue so to speak, but Filipino (mainly Tagalog) is the national language. In the mountains here in Panay Island (where Iloilo is), one old man remarked last month when I was there that people would get angry if you speak Tagalog to them. Furthermore, I am surprised that in that mountain Baptist church, they memorize and use the KJV and sing English and Hiligaynon hymns (but never Tagalog).

Sorry, if I "react" a bit. I know clearly and plainly that it is the desire of many, many, many, many, many, many Filipinos and very, very, very, very ambitious preachers to go to the USA, and I have been full aware that professional beggars and abusive opportunists take advantage of the goodhearted, mission-minded American Christians. So, I never ask anybody help of any kind, but let my requests made known to God. I am surprised that prayer does "move the hands the move the world"! So if God answers those prayers this way, then thank the Lord for those who offered help and those who asked me to ask. Praise the Lord for those who help me get help to help those who are asking for help.

Let me also admit that you were right in your "doubts". It's very important for those out there to check whether or not what they have given is used the way it is intended to be, as well as whether or not what they send is really useful or usable. Some people take things for granted during plenty, but begin begging again when in want. Very sad!

Lastly, I sincerely thank you for your encouragement. The website was a product of my "silent years". I have not done so much improvement on it because I'm back singin', teachin', and preachin'. I still have the polyp, but I have my voice back. Thank you for your prayers, Bro.! I still need it. THAT keeps me going for the Lord. That's one thing I covet most.

1 Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.

For the cause of Christ,
Bro. Sammy
1Cor.15:58

Last edited by Biblestudent; 06-02-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
"Hmmmm?" What does that mean? Seems to me that you are saying that if people send KJVs, English tracts, and Sunday School materials, these will all be in vain? That's how I understand. I read your reply at least 3X. Pardon me if I don't get it.

1 Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.

For the cause of Christ,
Bro. Sammy
1Cor.15:58
<snipped for brevity>

BibleStudent:--- I think there is some thoughts here...I'm sorry that you had to read my post 3 times and thought that I had "doubts"...

The "hmmm?" is me thinking-out-loud and pondering/wondering/thinking...not insulting at all...Just assumed that your first language was Tagalog---(guessed), although I did know that since there are thousand of islands, it would stand to reason that there is more than one language.

Actually--- What I was hoping was that after these many years- of wondering if someone had benefited/used my old Christmas present...I was pondering/thinking to myself: "Wow---this would be Cool if this man in the P.I. called "BibleStudent" was the man who recieved that Collins K.J. with the zipper"....!?

{BTW-as for support; our association supports 2 Baptist Churches in the P.I., one of which also runs a school/home/sanctuary for young girls in Manilla. The Roman Catholic system is strong in your country, so protestants really need assistance!}
Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM

PB1789, all apologies. I should have asked before "reacting". I didn't see you insulting me the first time, but I just thought (and afraid) someone was doubting our motives. After your last reply, I reread your previous post and understood it in a totally different light. Please pardon me, and thanks for bothering to explain that. God bless you.

Last edited by Biblestudent; 06-02-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Missions Support > Literature for the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post

So, after reading some of your posts, and seeing that once you mentioned a "jeepney"--- ( I've been at Subic, Clark and Manilla)- I know what that is...I wonder if maybe---that KJ-A.V. Collins with a zipper got over to the P.I. and was used for good. Hope so, though I must say I am surprised because Tagalog is the Mother-tongue, and English is a second spoken language, but it is American English mostly learned from American Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen/Marines --- not the more lofty and difficult English of the A.V....therefore it is good to see your posts and to see that you have a webpage with your Baptist Church.
Aloha PB1789,

Re: Your Post #5

This may not be the right area for this Post, but your reply to brother Sammy Tabuena (Bible Student) is instructive of most American's lack of knowledge of other people's of the world, and also a lack of understanding of our own "mother tongue".

I have been married to a Filipina (born on Kauai, Hawaii) for 47 years now and have lived amongst many different races and cultures here on Kauai for nearly 50 years (Caucasians are a "minority" in Hawaii).

Having lived with many Filipinos, both from the Philippines and "local born" in Hawaii, I can testify to you that most of the Filipinos that I have met actually speak "better" or more "proper" English than we Americans!

They may speak English with an "accent", but I can assure you that they just haven't learned English from a bunch of American servicemen - most of them have learned it in school, and like I said, compared to the "average" American they have a much better handle on our language than we do.

Quote:
not the more lofty and difficult English of the A.V....
Brother Sammy's testimony is of great interest to me because he is the fourth person that I personally know of who hails from another country (other than England & the U.S.A.) who has NO "TROUBLE" with what you refer to as "the more lofty and difficult English of the A.V".

There is a Christian man in India (Moses LemuelRaj - born in India) who "prefers" the King James Bible and who has written the best essays that I have ever read on the "Inspiration of Scripture" - he has no problem with the "difficult English of the A.V" - Why is that?

I have a close Christian friend (born in Germany) and his Tongan wife (born in Tonga), and both of them actually "prefer" the "the more lofty and difficult English of the A.V" to their native tongues. How do you explain that?

When I first met my German friend here on Kauai (some 25 years ago) he was using a "living" bible. After talking to him about the Bible "issue" at some length and over a period of several weeks I encouraged him to read Martin Luther's German Bible (in his own tongue) when he returned to Germany. He returned to Germany and I didn't hear from him for nearly a year.

After about a year in Germany my friend returned to Kauai and called me right away to testify to me that after reading Martin Luther's German Bible and the King James Bible that he preferred the King James because "it spoke to his heart" more than Luther's Bible did in his own tongue! And just in case you are wondering - my German friend holds an "earned" PhD after attending German Schools & University for over 20 years.

Since I do not speak any other language other than English, I don't believe that I can fully appreciate, the import of this kind of testimony regarding our English Bible, but there is one thing for sure, and that is - your concept of "the more lofty and difficult English of the A.V" is not shared by people of other nations and of other tongues. Again, I wonder - where you did you get this idea?

Last edited by George; 06-03-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Forum Administrator

Admin note:

Everybody: when replying to a missions support thread, please try to stay on topic. I do think that this topic of English in other countries is a good one for the Missions Support forum, but Biblestudent's thread should not be hijacked to have it. So I've moved it to its own thread. Thanks,
Old 06-05-2008, 04:49 AM

it is true that Tagalog is teh mother tongue here in the Philipines. Our Problem is two fold. hard to get the New Testament King James by Bearing precious seed and there is no OT available in the KJVTagalog. I have been slowly putting one together that would represent the KJAV in Tagalog very well.

so I use both in our church plant we read botht he Tagalog NT and the English text. Many know english and English is the language of the last days. Computer programing is largely done in Mathmatics and English.

I have been trying to get ahole of Roger Riley the distributor here for NT KJV Tagalog Bibles for over a year and he has not replied to his email or cell number.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
it is true that Tagalog is teh mother tongue here in the Philipines. Our Problem is two fold. hard to get the New Testament King James by Bearing precious seed and there is no OT available in the KJVTagalog. I have been slowly putting one together that would represent the KJAV in Tagalog very well.
so I use both in our church plant we read botht he Tagalog NT and the English text. Many know english and English is the language of the last days. Computer programing is largely done in Mathmatics and English.
I have been trying to get ahole of Roger Riley the distributor here for NT KJV Tagalog Bibles for over a year and he has not replied to his email or cell number.
Hi Bro.Chette, I briefly knew the brother who translated the Tagalog NT and also Bro.Riley, but thats a long story...
Anyways, last I heard Bro. Rodelieo had quit his job to devote more time on translating the OT. I believe he is in the Angeles City area and was I think associated with Blessed Hope Baptist Church. I know he could do with some help!
Every Blessing..
Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 AM

I know Bro. Rodellio, and I think he translates some chick tracts into tagalog, too (if I'm not mistaken).