Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM

I never thought Jonah died, because he prayed in the whale's belly. But I do believe he is a type of Christ.

Jonah 2:1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, 2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. 3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. 4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. 5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. 6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. 7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple. 8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. 9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

Hmmm.. it does say "thou brought up my life from corruption", so you have a point there. However, Jesus did not see corruption.

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

And in verse 10 it shows that the Lord did speak to the whale.

10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

In Jonah chapter 4 it tells how Jonah went out of Ninevah, made a booth, and sat under it in the shadow. Then the LORD God prepared a gourd and made it come up over Jonah to provide shadow to deliver him from his grief.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that Jonah's skin was burned by the digestive chemicals in the whale's belly, so that his skin was especially sensitive to sunlight, and this is why so much detail is given about the booth and gourd providing shadow for him. And this would explain his extreme discomfort, Jonah wished to die.

Last edited by Winman; 03-17-2009 at 02:36 PM.