General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Forum Administrator

Default Open for discussion: forum policies

Forum users:

I am interested in your opinions about the policy of this forum as to how "open" it is. While I don't have an interest in a strictly moderated (as in each-post-approved-by-me) forum, it may be that my original desire to have a very open forum policy is not actually feasible.

My goal, in the end, is to help increase people's faith in God's word. I figured that having a forum where people could ask honest questions about the Bible and the versions issue would be conducive to this -- I was "converted" away from the NIV in part because I had access to information. So, my hope was that more information would help more people.

But it is apparant that there are people who have nothing better to do than to actively seek an undermining of peoples' faith in the Bible and try to build up secondary authorities (ie, the elusive "The Greek" or other scholars). I have already banned some of the most egregious offenders, but I am wondering if a more stringent policy is warranted.

While I do not have the desire to be a forum policeman, it isn't a big deal to put new posters under moderation for a longer period of time, or to move some of the "borderline" posters into moderation.

I am interested in opinions from users of the forum. I am of course not obligating myself to do anything here -- this is just an informal request for discussion.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-16-2008, 07:04 PM
freesundayschoollessons

As a new poster here, and one that is probably already "locked on in your radar," I think it is a mistake to ban people for reasons other than obnoxiously rude and foul comments. Here is why:

1) A forum is a place for public debate. If the KJVOnly position is not able to "weather" even the stormiest debate, then why have a forum.

2) There are plenty of people that do rely on "The Greek," yet are firmly entrenched in the KJVOnly world. Isolating them from this forum on the basis of their knowledge/use of "The Greek" simply undermines the idea of a forum.

3) About "the scholars." There are KJVOnly scholars. In fact, without scholarship, your positions would not have gained the ground it has. Consider the Ruckmans, Thomas Strouses, and Dell Johnson's in your arena. Scholarship is not a bad thing. Even liberal scholars know the grammar. They simply do not see the significance of Scripture.

4) Though you may view outsider's comments as "destroying the faith of others," it cannot happen if they are genuinely believers.

5) If you prevent non-KJVOnly types, then KJVOnly pastors won't be able to quote us in the pulpit on Sunday :-) Threw that one in for fun.

6) Lastly, from a practical side: This is a forum on the WWW. As a Search Engine Expert, I offer you a suggestion. Seek content. Get as much content as you can get. "Content is King" in the WWW world. Some, here, decry the prolific posts of the "outsiders." Let us post. In my case, I will not turn caustic. I will disagree when I need to. But as long as we behave, why not let our voices be heard. The more content this forum allows, the better it will do in the search engines. Put some AdSense on the forum, Viola! You will have more money to promote the gospel. I use my Sunday School Lessons website to raise money for church planters. The same could/should be done here.

Barry: www.evmikna.com
Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 PM

As an observation from a 'conservative Canadian', the 'fundamentalists' just have to lighten up a bit. (me runs to hide, as he just stuck a stick in a hornets nest)

Moderation requirements will be greatly reduced, if we are forced to google "Baptist Jokes" first.

Folks need to remember the extent of thier salvation is not proportionate to the agression in their arguments and viewpoints.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Folks need to remember the extent of thier salvation is not proportionate to the agression in their arguments and viewpoints.
I like it.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:20 PM

I, for one, love studying these posts on this forum, and I even have to admit, I sometimes enjoy the "soap opera" [sorry I can't think of a better phrase here, I despise soap operas] banter and dialogue as long as it isn't raunchy, and there have been some, it would seem, who joined just to be antagonistic [and a bit hateful], and I feel those need to find a different forum [may I suggest a fine Catholic website forum]; but I honestly don't know why someone who isn't kjv would want to continue to "debate" knowing they aren't going to win any "converts"; as I've said, I've learned a lot studying here. I was always convicted to use kjv only, but I was also one of those who thought we had the elusive "Greek Text" to study in case we needed it. After studying these posts and reading and listening to others, I realize there are several Greek texts and we don't know what the "originals" are. Having said all that, I just hope and pray that Diligent doesn't get too discouraged, and that the forum continues.....God bless, Scott
Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Having said all that, I just hope and pray that Diligent doesn't get too discouraged, and that the forum continues.....God bless, Scott
Thanks Scott.

I do get some entertainment value? In a sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch the fireworks display type of way...but something will have to be done...

We've had a lot on our platters since we started the forum and I know Diligent has not been able to be as active as he would like. Now that the new version of SwordSearcher has been released we'll have a bit of time to work on other things. Like this forum. You'll be seeing a lot more of Diligent's posts in the coming weeks I'm sure.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 AM
LeeM1023

Default Moderating?

I think some easy-handed moderating is a good thing. You don't want to screen out all controversy, but you do want to keep messages out that are intended only to be irritating or instigating.

I co-moderate a group in my profession, and it's not burdensome. The primary screening for that particular group happens when someone wants to join--it's not automatic. The interested person simply has to state briefly the reason for wanting to join the group. You can learn a lot from just a few short phrases!

Lee
Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Connie

Have whatever kind of forum you want to have. You're the boss. Just please make it clear to potential participants what the rules are.

If your objective is not debate but to instruct in your views, make that clear.

I'm curious why Jerry is no longer posting here (he's labeled "inactive"), if that was his decision or yours. I always appreciated his posts even though I disagreed with him about some things.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
I'm curious why Jerry is no longer posting here (he's labeled "inactive"), if that was his decision or yours. I always appreciated his posts even though I disagreed with him about some things.
It was by his request. When it's "my decision" it says Banned, not Inactive.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:13 PM

Well as a 'newbie' here myself I find the forum real good and there are some good folks here, unlike some of the others I have seen...

This is a difficult one to call and I support Bro.Brandons desire for folks to come and ask questions. Despite the 'antics' of some there are genuine people out there who are using modern per-versions who have sincere questions, where do they go to get answers?

I think any one showing up who wishes to cause trouble are soon identified and then can be dealt with... I do get concerned as I have seen it many times that a MVer gets flamed when in reality they have not been informed of the truth. What happens is someone 'struts' their knowledge and a would be potential Bible Believer is lost.. but thats IMHO..
evry blessing