Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Could you point out where I said: "signs and miracles were only for the Jews"? I said "the Jews REQUIRE A SIGN"; because that's what it says in 1Corinthians 1:22. In my Thread on "Rightly Dividing the Book of Acts" > Post #65 I said:
You may not have absolutely said that signs and miracles were only for the Jews, but I would say you implied it. You said;

Quote:

Remember: “The Jews REQUIRE a SIGN” [1Corinthians 1:22], and “tongues are for a SIGN” [1Corinthians 14:22].

Up until this moment SIGNS, MIRACLES, and HEALING had been an INTEGRAL PART of the preaching of the Apostles and Disciples. That is - the Jews (and the Samaritans) actually SAW PHYSICAL SIGNS and MIRACLES along with the preaching of the word of God. But in Acts Chapter 10, the Gentiles – only HEARD (the “word”) and they BELIEVED (WITHOUT the SIGNS or MIRACLES).
That's pretty strong if you ask me.

And the reason I said I could not be dogmatic about the Jews receiving the Holy Ghost by hearing and believeing only is Acts 2:38

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I will admit that this verse can easily be understood to be Peter teaching the Jews to repent, and be baptized for the the remission of sins, and then receiving the Holy Ghost. It can be read that way.

But there are many other verses that in my opinion clarify what Peter was really teaching.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Now, when you read John 7:37-38, Acts 2:38 takes on a new meaning. Here in John, Jesus himself clearly says that he that believeth shall receive the Holy Ghost. And the only reason mentioned that believers had not yet received the Holy Ghost is that Jesus was not yet glorified.

Not one single mention of being baptized here. Not one single mention of repenting of killing Jesus (yes, I realize he was not crucified yet).

You and others are always accusing me of not rightly dividing the word of truth, but in my opinion, it is you that is in error. There are quite a few verses besides John 7:37-38 to support the belief that the Jews received the Holy Ghost by hearing and believeing without baptism. And the verses in Acts 10 could be an example.

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

You see, I do not have any conflicts. Everything I believe fits without having to weave and bob.

And how about those in Acts 2?

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I see no mention of preaching the repentance of killing Jesus and the requirement to be baptized to receive the Holy Ghost here. These were all believers, and it is most likely that all had been baptized. But not necessarily, we do not know for sure. But we do see them all filled with the Holy Ghost, with no mention of this preaching the repentance of killing Jesus, or the requirement to be baptized.

I don't know what else to say. I think it is so very clear, I do not see how you can disregard so many scriptures that argue in my favor, and against yours.

Last edited by Winman; 06-18-2009 at 05:26 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software