Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM1023 View Post
OK, let me ask you this: what, in your opinion, is the single best example of the deviation of modern translations from the KJV? What passage, laid side by side, is going to give the clearest indication of both a significant change in the text, and a significant impact on Christian doctrine and belief?

Sigh.
Lee
I went ahead and put a few contrasts together between the AV King James Bible and the popular NIV and NAS.
Authorized King James Bible – Matthew 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

New International Version – Matthew 9:13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.

New American Standard – Matthew 9:13 "But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
The doctrine of repentance is important, wouldn't you agree?
Authorized King James Bible – Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

New International Version – Matthew 19:17 "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

New American Standard – Matthew 19:17 And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is {only} One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
Huge difference between calling Jesus good and asking what good is.
Authorized King James Bible – Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

New International Version – Colossians 1:14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

New American Standard – Colossians 1:14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
What! NO BLOOD? No blood, no remission for sin.
Authorized King James Bible – 1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

New International Version – 1 John 4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

New American Standard – 1 John 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the {spirit} of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.
The words "every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God" are very important, aren't they?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM

And how about the requirements for one to be baptized:

Scripture:
Quote:
Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Pretender:
Quote:
Act 8:36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"
Act 8:37 [Omitted from the NIV.]
Act 8:38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.