Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Book mentions in 2 Chronicles

So I'm finishing up 2 Chronicles today and wanted to see what you guys think of these passages:

Now the rest of the acts of Solomon, first and last, are they not written in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and in the visions of Iddo the seer against Jeroboam the son of Nebat? (2 Chronicles 9:29 KJV)

Now the acts of Rehoboam, first and last, are they not written in the book of Shemaiah the prophet, and of Iddo the seer concerning genealogies? And there were wars between Rehoboam and Jeroboam continually. (2 Chronicles 12:15 KJV)

And the rest of the acts of Abijah, and his ways, and his sayings, are written in the story of the prophet Iddo. (2 Chronicles 13:22 KJV)

Now the rest of the acts of Jehoshaphat, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of Jehu the son of Hanani, who is mentioned in the book of the kings of Israel. (2 Chronicles 20:34 KJV)

His prayer also, and how God was intreated of him, and all his sin, and his trespass, and the places wherein he built high places, and set up groves and graven images, before he was humbled: behold, they are written among the sayings of the seers. (2 Chronicles 33:19 KJV)

Do you think God wanted some of those books to disappear? Do you think some of them were used in the writtings of other OT books?

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Jasher too.

It's likely that God did not include them because they do not relate to his plan for Israel or the Church, but rather deal with Gentile history and prophets (God spoke to the gentiles as well.. I am sure it's in Chronicles somewhere, where one of the gentile kings comes and helps Israel, after God speaks to him, or gives him a message).
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Jasher too.

It's likely that God did not include them because they do not relate to his plan for Israel or the Church, but rather deal with Gentile history and prophets (God spoke to the gentiles as well.. I am sure it's in Chronicles somewhere, where one of the gentile kings comes and helps Israel, after God speaks to him, or gives him a message).
Well, there's this account:

After all this, when Josiah had prepared the temple, Necho king of Egypt came up to fight against Carchemish by Euphrates: and Josiah went out against him. But he sent ambassadors to him, saying, What have I to do with thee, thou king of Judah? I come not against thee this day, but against the house wherewith I have war: for God commanded me to make haste: forbear thee from meddling with God, who is with me, that he destroy thee not. Nevertheless Josiah would not turn his face from him, but disguised himself, that he might fight with him, and hearkened not unto the words of Necho from the mouth of God, and came to fight in the valley of Megiddo. And the archers shot at king Josiah; and the king said to his servants, Have me away; for I am sore wounded. His servants therefore took him out of that chariot, and put him in the second chariot that he had; and they brought him to Jerusalem, and he died, and was buried in one of the sepulchres of his fathers. And all Judah and Jerusalem mourned for Josiah. And Jeremiah lamented for Josiah: and all the singing men and the singing women spake of Josiah in their lamentations to this day, and made them an ordinance in Israel: and, behold, they are written in the lamentations. (2 Chronicles 35:20-25 KJV)

But I'm not sure that's the one you're thinking of since I can't see how Necho is helping Israel. I can't really recall any other accounts except the king of Tyre working with Solomon.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

EDIT: There is also Cyrus:

Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying, Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Who is there among you of all his people? The LORD his God be with him, and let him go up. (2 Chronicles 36:22-23 KJV)

Last edited by stephanos; 02-03-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 AM

As the Apostle John says, of writing books, there is no end. I believe that we already have "all Scripture" that God wants us to have.

It's possible that in the Chronicles, those books mentioned were used. If today we have to document everything that we write if we borrowed from other references, then this case might be something like that.

Of course, although Bible writers like Dr. Luke used some research methodology in writing, God superintends everything.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Stephanos,

The book of 1 Chronicles has talks about a few books that are missing.

Quote:
1 Cor. 29:29

Now the acts of David the king, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of Samuel the seer, and in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the book of Gad the seer,

Do not worry about the " lost books " in the Bible. We will be judged on the books we have. It is God's responsibility to give us what we need. We have what we need in the 66 books of the KJV. God did not want us to have these books. If he had he would have preserved these books also. We do not have the book of Gad or the book of Nathan. many make a big deal out of these lost books. This is a big mistake. It's like God lacks the power to keep all of the books that were written. he had the power to keep the books. he did not think we needed these books and we do not need them. You have everything you need just read it and live it the best you can my friend.

Atlas
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Stephanos,

The book of 1 Chronicles has talks about a few books that are missing.

Do not worry about the " lost books " in the Bible. We will be judged on the books we have. It is God's responsibility to give us what we need. We have what we need in the 66 books of the KJV. God did not want us to have these books. If he had he would have preserved these books also. We do not have the book of Gad or the book of Nathan. many make a big deal out of these lost books. This is a big mistake. It's like God lacks the power to keep all of the books that were written. he had the power to keep the books. he did not think we needed these books and we do not need them. You have everything you need just read it and live it the best you can my friend.

Atlas
Right, and not only that, but there are references to the books of other nations, such as:

That search may be made in the book of the records of thy fathers: so shalt thou find in the book of the records, and know that this city is a rebellious city, and hurtful unto kings and provinces, and that they have moved sedition within the same of old time: for which cause was this city destroyed. (Ezra 4:15 KJV)

I suppose these sorts of books really wouldn't have done anything for us Bible students. Perhaps from an archaeological viewpoint they would have proven of use, but clearly God didn't see a need to give us these records.

Peace and Love,
Stephen