Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM

Are you having an "Agrippa" moment?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM

An almost moment???

Sorry Researcher. I will stop for now. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researching View Post
I am attending Liberty University. The class is called In dept Bible Study and is a required course. I’m only in my third week, but this week’s assignment is to compare translations, figure out why they are so different and what text they were translated from. I read later last night that most, if not all translations other than KJV, are translated from eclectic Greek text, but I have no idea what that is and why it is considered corrupt. As you can tell, I’m new at all of this.
He's from Liberty...may we burn him? J/K I have a girl from our youth group that attends LU.

I hope you know you will get a biased answer from most people here. If I am allowed, I will try to give an objective addition to the info provided. At the least, I can explain what the "corrupt" eclectic texts and the "per"versions are. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but it will not be a strawman.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I hope you know you will get a biased answer from most people here.
Yes, we are biased for the truth. We gladly expose any and all points of error in the modern corruptions. No apology.

"Researching", please ask what questions you wish, but you will run out of week before you run out of questions and their answers.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM

I am still reading through the information given in this site. Thank you for the links. They got me off to a great start.

Greektim, it would be great if you would
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektim View Post
At the least, I can explain what the "corrupt" eclectic texts and the "per"versions are.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I am a student and new at studying the differences in Bible translations. My assignment for this week is to start studying the difference between translations and find out why they are different. I did not know there were any major differences until I started my research.
I read that “the NKJV translators departed from the original KJV and its underlying Greek text, the Textus Receptus, in favor of the very same wording found in versions translated from corrupted Greek texts.”
Why are the other texts considered corrupt? Do they also use the Textus Receptus? Thanks in advance for any help.
If you wish to know the differences in the versions as opposed to the KJV, you need to start with the preface of all the "versions" In all cases they will say they use as a basis the "LXX" which has no historical support below 300 AD for the OT, and Vaticanus for the NT. They will sometimes say they use Nestle's or the United Bible Societies text for the NT, both based on Vaticanus.

The two major corrupted families of texts(both traced to have been edited by one man, Origen)have their little characteristics that set them apart from each other. The western text adds words to the readings, the Alexandrian subtracts words from the readings. Both families add apocryphal books to the body of the manuscripts.

I had 135 version sof the bible in English. One of them was based on the Massoretic Hebrew text and what's known as the TR/Majority/Received text, the KJV. The other 134 were all based on Vaticanus. I live in an area that has many used book stores, if you want to take the time(7 years) and effort to collect 100+ versions, you will come to the same conclusion I did.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I am attending Liberty University. The class is called In dept Bible Study and is a required course. I’m only in my third week, but this week’s assignment is to compare translations, figure out why they are so different and what text they were translated from. I read later last night that most, if not all translations other than KJV, are translated from eclectic Greek text, but I have no idea what that is and why it is considered corrupt. As you can tell, I’m new at all of this.
http://www.kjv-asia.com/authorized_version_defence.htm
http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/articles.html

These two sites, besides this 1611 site you are on, are the best and most high profile. KJV Asia is very good if you are Baptist and want geberal knowledge besides the KJV issue, the second site is brother Will Kinney, a member of this forum. KJV Asia's site for KJV defense is many, many different sites(Will's included).

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektim View Post
Ahhhhh...the NKJV...a great TR translation

Researching, I am also interested in the assignment and the school that assigned it. I would also like to know what you discover in your research concerning the NKJV.
Tim, the NKJV is not a translation of the TR but the body of the KJV English text leavened with readings from the Alexandrian.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/7ways.html

This is a great article to start at. This issue is one that will have long-reaching effects on your walk and fruit as a Christian for more time than just an assignment for this week.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Tim, the NKJV is not a translation of the TR but the body of the KJV English text leavened with readings from the Alexandrian.

Grace and peace

Tony
Point in fact, the truth is, the NKJV used the TR as a textual basis for the NT. This is the bias I was talking about, and the objective reality I seek to provide. I can be objective on the NKJV because while I like the NKJV as a translation, I would say that it is not superior to the original languages.

When you say "readings" I can only assume you mean variant readings that differ from the TR. If that is the case, I have yet to see anyone show me one place where the NKJV departs from the TR at all in the NT. At best, I see translational differences, but that has nothing to do with Alexandrian texts like p66 or p72 or Siniaticus. Hopefully, Tony, you can point something out to me about the NKJV where it does depart from the TR to an Alexandrian reading.