Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Default A Message to the Discouraged

I've been pretty depressed lately with the fact that I'm unemployed. Jobs are scarce in town and winter has made the process of finding work that much more difficult. I, like a lot of men, have been trying not to equate my worth with the type of job I have, or lack thereof. I haven't been very successful. I try to stay positive and trust that the Lord will be my rock in this, but recently I failed. I got real down on myself and even entertained the though "why isn't God helping me?" and "why are all the folks that mock and rebel against God prospering?". THE NERVE I HAVE! God has saved me from drug and alcohol abuse, living on the streets, being in jail, worldliness, and eternal suffering in Hell! I have no right to be anything except thankful. So I got down on my knees and confessed this sin to God and pleaded the blood of Jesus. To my suprise I found a gem in the Word of God that really spoke to my heart. So, if you're struggling with unemployment or confusion about the end of the wicked and the end of those that love and trust in the Lord, this is for you:

Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart. But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm. They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men. Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment. Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish. They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily. They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth. Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them. And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High? Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches. Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction. How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors. As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image. Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee. Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee. But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works. (Psalms 73:1-28 KJV)

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Great post brother. I will certainly keep you in prayer about your job situation.

It is very, very easy to be discouraged when we get our eyes too focused on the world and what is going on with current events. I have also struggled with this in the past few months.

What I try to remember is that we are only passing through this world. Our true home is in Heaven with God. And from the looks of things, we might be joining Him sooner than later.

Although I struggle with a sense of heaviness over the rampant sin and destruction of our culture, I try to remember that God is still in absolute, total control of this world. Nothing happens without his permission. Also, the darkness of this world should allow our light (Jesus in us) to shine all the brighter to the lost.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Thank you for your transparency. I find great encouragement, strength, and comfort in this invitation:
Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
It's Jesus alone, dear brother. Trust Him.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM

brothers, and Stephen, I'll keep your job situation in prayer as well.

Praise for the encouragement of like-minded brethren!!

Heb10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Bro. Parrish

Stephen great post, my business has really been slow for the last 6 months,
that passage is very encouraging as we are all going through this together, God bless...