General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 AM

Default hello all. um new up in here.

Hows everyone doing? This is my very 1st post. only because i could post sometime ago
I tried. but couldnt . had to change emails and all kinds of stuff.

But anywho. Ive got a situation. wanna hear it? here it go.

my wife met this woman at work. seems to be nice to her. well I met her & her husband and they seem nice, yet im not really feeling them. on occation Id call her husband. (Lets call him Husband). husband says he has a prayer groups and meets the brothers, they talk about the scriptures and they baptise people into receiving salvaton. thats sounds good but my spirit isnt feeling him still. is there something wrong with me? My wife told me that they call them selves Disciples of Christ. My belief is Im saved by the Grace of God, not of works. Eph 2:3 i think. but they say. i need to go out and baptise someone before I'd be saved. and follow different steps (isnt this works?)

But anyway. I was un easy last night in my sleep, so I asked the Lord to open my eyes to see what the deal is.

does anyone know anything about this group of people? That call themselves (The Disciples of Christ)
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Not too familier with them, but I strongly advise that your first "prayer meeting" with them be your last.

1) Salvation doesn't come through baptism. Baptism is a public profession of faith, that is to be done after salvation.

2) Salvation comes simply by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, and trusting Him and His finished work on Calvary as your way to heaven. Anyone who adds to this teaches a false gospel(Galation 1:6-7).

I think Eph. 2:8-9 is what you were looking for. That is a great example, as is Romans 3:23-26: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus., and vs 28: Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law., chapter 5:1-2: Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God., and the list goes on and on.

We are saved by grace through faith in Christ. Nothing more.

BTW, welcome!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM

"Disciples of Christ" are pretty much the same as "Church of Christ".
- They believe you must be "BUPTIZED" by one of their pastors in one of their churches to be saved
- They believe you can lose your salvation although most can't tell you what sin or sins causes you to lose your salvation or if they have ever met someone who lost their salvation. The odd thing is they believe you must be baptized to be saved, but if you lose your salvation you don't have to be baptized to get it back.
- Some don't believe musical instruments should be allowed in the church

They are a cult. Stay away from them.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Welcome Brother, I myself am haven't been here for long. Anyway, you are right in that you get saved by God's grace and not of good works:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:8,9

I believe God's Holy Spirit is warning you. However, in my humble view, I daresay that these people are a cult. Baptism is an act of obedience and NOT a requirement to getting saved, and as for baptizing others:

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1 Corinthians 1:17

Anyway, when you trust the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour you DO get baptize with the Holy Spirit.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Matthew 3:11

So if you haven't done so, will please do it. Admit your a sinner before God and trust the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour.

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Acts 16:31

Water baptism is just a public confession of faith. So these people might indeed be a cult and my final advice is:

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Ephesians 5:11
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Re: " hello all. um new up in here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
Hows everyone doing? This is my very 1st post. only because i could post sometime ago
I tried. but couldnt . had to change emails and all kinds of stuff.

But anywho. Ive got a situation. wanna hear it? here it go.

my wife met this woman at work. seems to be nice to her. well I met her & her husband and they seem nice, yet im not really feeling them. on occation Id call her husband. (Lets call him Husband). husband says he has a prayer groups and meets the brothers, they talk about the scriptures and they baptise people into receiving salvaton. thats sounds good but my spirit isnt feeling him still. is there something wrong with me? My wife told me that they call them selves Disciples of Christ. My belief is Im saved by the Grace of God, not of works. Eph 2:3 i think. but they say. i need to go out and baptise someone before I'd be saved. and follow different steps (isnt this works?)

But anyway. I was un easy last night in my sleep, so I asked the Lord to open my eyes to see what the deal is.

does anyone know anything about this group of people? That call themselves (The Disciples of Christ)
Aloha Mr. Smith and welcome to the AV1611 Bible Forums,

You should check out the "Search" Function on this Forum and look up the words: Salvation, Justification, Sanctification, or Baptism and you will see a whole lot of Scriptural information on these and other subjects.

The answers you seek can be found in the Holy Bible {The King James Bible} - you have to study the Scriptures; and learn to "rightly divide" the word of truth; and seek the Holy Spirit's guidance in order to get true spiritual "discernment", "understanding", and "wisdom".
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The following Posts are a few examples of some of the points I have made in regards to this issue.

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...83&postcount=3
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...86&postcount=5
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...2&postcount=25
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...82&postcount=1
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...6&postcount=98

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...69&postcount=3

A word of warning: Most of the brethren on this Forum are doctrinally "sound", however we have had (over nearly a year) a few "interlopers" who would come on this Forum with an agenda - trying to persuade us about some "False Doctrine". So while most of what you read Posted on this Forum will be from genuine Bible believers, there will be some Posts that you should be careful of.

No matter what - always remember:
Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
husband says he has a prayer groups and meets the brothers, they talk about the scriptures and they baptise people into receiving salvaton. thats sounds good but my spirit isnt feeling him still. is there something wrong with me? My wife told me that they call them selves Disciples of Christ. My belief is Im saved by the Grace of God, not of works. Eph 2:3 i think. but they say. i need to go out and baptise someone before I'd be saved. and follow different steps (isnt this works?)
Welcome to this place MrSmith, I pray it is a source of blessing and encouragement for you.

In this case scenario you are to "try the spirits whether they are of God" (1 John 4:1), so are you up to the task? Others would have you walk away and leave this cult to it, if that's what they are, but maybe you should 'face the music' and confirm in your own mind that they are indeed "false prophets"?

Have you yourself been baptised in water before? If so, what do they say about that? I suggest that you arm yourself with the scriptures that prove the correct way of salvation, and then sit down with "husband" man-to-man and have it out, that's what I would do. The ball is in your court.

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Hi MrSmith and to the forum!

The men who've already replied to your post are among the best to learn from on this forum.....they've given sound advice.

Search the Scriptures, and search the forum for answers to any questions you might have.....if the answer isn't already posted, someone will be happy to help you out!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Oh my goodness. I fell in love with this forum my first post. BLESS THE LORD JESUS!!!!!!!!!

You do not know how yall made me feel. I Bless The Lord God For You all.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:45 AM

Thank you all for your help.
'
Yes Im Am saved. Have also been baptised. My wife on the other hand. (we are whats called. Un equally yolked) I cant for the life of me get her to believe the Gospel. She thinks The bible is only a book. I on the other hand believe that the Bible is the way the Lord speaks to us.

Her words are "you cant prove anything in that book, no one every came back to tell YOU if anything you read is real"

my words are "I believe it, Blessed are those who believe without seeing"

no matter what i say. she uses fact to prove her point. No she doesnt want to go to church I feel theres a calling for me to work in the ministry. she says " i dont want to be married to a preacher".

Its all my fault. I knew this before we got married. Thought she'd be willing to worship.
She wasnt raised knowing the word. Her mom teaches her just to be a good person. be good to others and thats all you need to do. I tried to tell her, thats wonderful but theres only one way to enter into the kingdom of God. her word are "I dont believe that" But for the life of our marriage 9 years. its been horrible. I thought i could win her over to Christ. while fighting the battle, Ive become faint and can hardly stand. (not literally) YES I have fallen. believe me its hard to stand strong when your wifes is your total opposite in life and faith, And the only time you feel happy is when your in your car praying, praising and thinking on his Goodness.

TONES more to say. Im just tired. Theres trillions of issues that has arised because of our differences. but all i can do is let go an watch God.

YES I Made This Mess. I just walked into the intersection because That paper looked like a $100. bill. Now Im hurt from the crash but I still have hope That I'll walk again. I priase Him for this new day of mercy.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 AM

Default Re: "Mr. Smith"

Aloha Mr. Smith,

You have come to the right place brother!

This Forum is NOT a church. It is NOT meant to replace a church, but there are so many, many "churches" out there that are no longer concerned with the Truth (God's Holy word), and that have even less concern for the brethren, that a Christian today has to get his or her edification and fellowship wherever they can find it!

Read the Threads & Posts on those issues that interest you. Ask questions and make comments. There are some real fine brethren on this Forum that genuinely care about others. Stick around, you might even find a friend or two or three, I have.