Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Therapeutic Abortion

Where do Bible believers stand on this issue?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM

If it was induced by the mother or a third party I believe it is the same thing as an elective abortion.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Bro. Parrish

Biblestudent,
over the years I have found that the definitions and wording regarding abortion can sometimes be misleading and varied... for example, on eMedicine, therapeutic abortion is defined as the termination of pregnancy before fetal viability in order to "preserve maternal health," followed by 5 possible situations. But as we have seen, the "health of the mother" can mean different things to different people... what is the exact situation you are describing?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM

The term can be used for anything from an abortion needed for an ectopic or other medical situations where the lives of both are certain be lost if action is not taken.

Or in a the case of a missed miscarriage where the baby already died and the body does not naturally abort it. Which in some cases can grow into a rare form of cancer if left.

To physical/medical stress that a doctor believes the pregnancy may or may not put on the mother's body or other baby/babies in a multiple pregnancy. (including a twin in some cases/doctors) Or how a baby may or may not be formed or how long s/he will live once born.

To "mental stress" for whatever reasons they medically wish it to cover.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 PM

How many ways do we have to accept different words for 'murder' ??
Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
The term can be used for anything from an abortion needed for an ectopic or other medical situations where the lives of both are certain be lost if action is not taken.

Or in a the case of a missed miscarriage where the baby already died and the body does not naturally abort it. Which in some cases can grow into a rare form of cancer if left.
Yes, Byrd, but if the baby has already died, it's not literally an abortion: it's just a removal of the little corpse. Nothing wrong with that.

I firmly believe that 99.9% of "therapeutic abortions" are simply done for the sake of convenience. The only time abortion is justified is when carrying or delivering the baby would literally kill the mother - - - and such cases are exceedingly rare.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Yes, Byrd, but if the baby has already died, it's not literally an abortion: it's just a removal of the little corpse. Nothing wrong with that.

I firmly believe that 99.9% of "therapeutic abortions" are simply done for the sake of convenience. The only time abortion is justified is when carrying or delivering the baby would literally kill the mother - - - and such cases are exceedingly rare.
Jae or JB is good for short. True. Most are an after the fact form of birth control.

I was just listing what falls under the term of a doctor prescribed "therapeutic abortion". It does range from a non-issue, life threatening self-defense, possible life threatening, and out right "just don't feel like it or it isn't the sex I wanted" scenarios.

Asking what a group thinks of it would require defining what he is asking. In my re writing and removing superfluous information I removed my first sentence that asked that. oops.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM

Hello, everybody! Sorry for the delayed response. (We've got a lot of brownouts here recently.)

The question has to do with killing the baby when pregnancy endangers the mother's life.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
Jae or JB is good for short.
Excuse me, Jae. No disrespect intended. I've just always wanted to be able to call a lady "Byrd," in honor of one of my old favorites:

Actually, my brother-in-law went to school, in Mississippi, with a kid named Hugo Byrd III. They called him "The Third Bird."

Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
aussiemama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
The only time abortion is justified is when carrying or delivering the baby would literally kill the mother - - - and such cases are exceedingly rare.
So it is ok to kill someone if someone is supposedly going to die anyway? Murder is still murder. Why don't we just trust God in these rare situations rather than murder the baby?