Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Default Grace and another gospel

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
What was “another” gospel in reference to? This is an important question because of its vital relevancy for Christians today. Some who have been allowed to “temporarily” post on this Forum, and perhaps some members who simply sit in silence, in my opinion, have been “removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel.”

The teaching of “another gospel” is a gospel which centers on good works and strict obedience to the laws of God in an attempt to merit or earn the favor of God. This “other” gospel gives equal creditability to ones “behavior” in order to both prove salvation and to maintain salvation. Followers of this other gospel heavily criticize, condemn, and falsely judge the “sinner” who claims to be a Christian because a “true born again believer” will not lie, overeat, be lazy, complain, gossip, get angry, steal, or lust. Those who promote this other gospel have convinced themselves that they have reached a holier, more righteous, and more pure standard in their personal life.

Is this what the scriptures really teach? Does the word of God really teach that our pious behavior is required for complete salvation? This other gospel is a gross misinterpretation of the true gospel and utter failure to understand the grace, power, and preeminence of Jesus Christ.

The scripture says in Matthew 24:13, “But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.” What does this mean? The person who can hang on to the end will be saved? Is Jesus not enough to save you from sin and keep you saved?

Are you required to flee, abstain, pray, love, study, give thanks in everything, reckon, endure, keep, obey, put away lying, speak the truth, be angry, and sin not, let not the sun go down upon your wrath, not give place to the devil (in thoughts, words, or deeds), steal no more, let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, grieve not the holy Spirit of God, let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice, be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you in order to endure to the end and be saved? Preposterous! False teaching! Bondage!

You have misinterpreted the scripture and completely misapplied the word of truth when you put “positional reality” and “operational responsibility” as one truth. We should endeavor, by faith, to obey the word of God. No one is suggesting otherwise. We should, and will bear fruit, no one is suggesting otherwise. But what if you sin just one time after becoming a Christian? “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all” (James 2:10). You cannot pick and choose your scripture to support your particular belief. If you do not keep all 600 + laws, and if you disobey just one commandment, you are guilty of violating all of them in God’s eyes!

Follow the progression of the Apostle Paul’s message to the Church at Galatia and be honest with the word of God. If you are truthful with scripture, you will understand that grace abounds even when you commit sin. I did not say you have a divine permission slip to go out and sin, but the Bible teaches if you do sin, grace still abounds. But don’t take my word for it, search and study the scriptures honestly and discover the amazing grace which is given to all who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Galatians 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Galatians 2:20-21 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:2-3 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 3:21-22 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Can it be any clearer? Attempting to somehow obtain a righteous standard by thinking, saying, and doing certain things is not possible. The word makes it clear that, “My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world” (1 John 2:1-2). Don’t sin! But what happens when you do? “And he is the propitiation for our sins.” Scripture makes it abundantly clear that our very best, our most pious behavior, and highest achievements in life still fall hopelessly short of pleasing a righteous and Holy Heavenly Father. “Jesus Christ the righteous…he is the propitiation for our sins.”
Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
This Old Testament scripture in Isaiah is applicable to every person who has or ever will live a mortal life. This verse is the foundation for understanding the grace of God. It is utterly impossible for us to satisfy God’s just demands toward sin apart from personal faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. If we fail to see that our “righteousnesses” are as filthy rags (rags that cover an oozing, bloody, pus infected, open sore) we will be chained to the heretical doctrine of sinless perfectionism and live in the bondage of self-willed works and self-righteousness. More importantly, we will fail to truly love and understand the very person of the Lord Jesus Christ.

IN CHRIST, WE HAVE RIGHTEOUSNESS, JUSTIFICATION, ACCEPTANCE, REDEMPTION, FORGIVENESS, and SALVATION
Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Ephesians 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

Ephesians 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
GRACE IS BY JESUS CHRIST
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;

2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Quote:
Charles Spurgeon said, “The apostle says that the only begotten is ‘full of grace and truth.’ He did not come to tell us about grace, but actually to bring us grace. He is not full of the news of grace and truth, but of grace and truth themselves.

Others had been messengers of gracious tidings, but He came to bring grace. Others teach us truth, but Jesus is the truth. He is that grace and truth whereof others spake. Jesus is not merely a teacher, an exhorter, a worker of grace and truth; but these heavenly things are in Him: He is full of them.

I want you to note this. It raises such a difference between Christ and others: you go to others to hear of grace and truth, but you must go to Christ to see them. There may be, there is, grace in other men; but not as it is in Christ: they have it as water flowing through a pipe, but He has it as water in its fountain and source.

He has grace to communicate to the sons of men, grace without measure, grace essential and abiding. There is truth in others where God has wrought it, by His Spirit; but it is not in them as it is in Christ. In Him dwells the depth, the substance, the essence of the fact. Grace and truth come to us by Him, and yet they evermore abide in Him.

I say again, our Lord did not merely come to teach grace and truth, or to impress them upon us; but He came to exhibit in His own person—life, and work, all the grace and truth which we need. He has brought us grace in rivers and truth in streams: of these He has infinite fullness; of that fullness all His saints receive.”
SIN COVERED BY GRACE
Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Does grace reign? Is grace conditional to our acts of righteousness? Are we required to hold unto eternal life in order for grace to reign in our life? Notice in the above referenced verse there is no break in the words “…even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.” There is no period after the word righteousness. Grace reigns because it is through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. But if you do sin, grace still abounds. That’s the point.
Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
What does it mean to be crucified with Christ? Have we been literally nailed to a cross, died, and been buried? No. But we are crucified with Christ in a “spiritual and positional” relationship, and by faith we appropriate this wonderful reality. It is a Biblical fact. Does this mean or even imply you will no longer commit random acts of sin? Be honest.

GROWING AND WORKING GRACE

Grace does indeed equip, empower, and enable us to grow and do the works of Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

2 Corinthians 1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Colossians 1:6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Let us understand that the Christian life is Christ. Colossians 1:21-23 says, “And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister.”

What does it mean: “If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel?”

It is important for us to know that when the New Testament refers to the faith it is referring to a specific kind of faith. Early Christians knew that “the faith” referred to faith that was specifically in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ; how that He died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day. Therefore, “Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?” (2 Corinthians 13:5)

The unadulterated Christian life is simply one of faith, trust, belief, and reliance on God. “For we walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7). And Proverbs exhorts us to: “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5). Faith is the means by which God makes a connection between knowing Christ as our personal Lord and Saviour and knowing Him as our very life. It always sounds simple when we are counseled by others to just have more faith, but if the truth be known, we each face the daily challenge to genuinely trust God.
Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Revelation 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Grace and another gospel

Aloha brother Forrest,
Thanks for another enlightening study. A truly wonderful study!

We sometimes get caught up or entangled in the daily issues and affairs of men and often forget Who is the "Author" and "Finisher" of our faith. Thanks for reminding us (once again) what "it" (our salvation - our life) is all about!

Quote:
Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

It is important for us to know that when the New Testament refers to the faith it is referring to a specific kind of faith.
That's an interesting point Forrest. By "the faith" , that can be the "body of doctrine" contained in the "words", or the "the faith"- the belief-trust in the Saviour that the words(most effectually the KJB) point us to. Of course that body of doctrine is complete only in the KJB or other accurate faithful translatations-e.g., RVG.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith (body of doctrine)which was once delivered unto the saints.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Last edited by Debau; 12-15-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau View Post
That's an interesting point Forrest. By "the faith" , that can be the "body of doctrine" contained in the "words", or the "the faith"- the belief-trust in the Saviour that the words(most effectually the KJB) point us to. Of course that body of doctrine is complete only in the KJB in the English.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith (body of doctrine)which was once delivered unto the saints.

That's a good observation. It seems to me that "the faith," whether it be the "body of doctrine" or "belief & trust," always focuses, rests, and centers in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. Since Jesus is the WORD incarnate, the words of doctrine have grace and power through Him. Remember, as believers we should be: "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).

It's also noteworthy that the verse after the one you quoted in Jude 3, expounds on this truth.
Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
That's a good observation. It seems to me that "the faith," whether it be the "body of doctrine" or "belief & trust," always focuses, rests, and centers in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. Since Jesus is the WORD incarnate, the words of doctrine have grace and power through Him. Remember, as believers we should be: "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).

It's also noteworthy that the verse after the one you quoted in Jude 3, expounds on this truth.
Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen Bro. Forrest! There is no antithesis between the living Word and the witten Word(s).