General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Supplementing the income

for many of us laboring in the field we are finding it harder to get by. As we see the economics take a dive over the last 10 months we lost lots of support. One of our close friends has been supporting our house project but as for our other support everything was down.

So about 6 months ago I began exploring options on how to supplement our budget. I came across aquaponic gardening a combination of raising food fish like Tilapia and using the water from the fish waste to organically fertilize the vegetables. Particularly Aquaponics in a Barrel by a missionary Travis Hughey. I do want to establish a larger green house but the expense makes me take it slower in buying materials.

But "Barrelponics" as Travis calls it is perfect for those on a low budget, time constraints, lack of space for conventional gardening and uses only 10% of the water of normal gardening. I built one barrel unit and I have it up and running this week it takes up 6'HX6'WX6'D space. This week I will put some fish in it and by next week I should have the first plants in it. tomatoes, Lettuce and bell peppers.

I will be holding free seminars at our church for mostly poor people and squatters to show them the working unit, teach them what is Aquaponics, and how to build their own barrel unit. of course half way after the break I will tell them how we can meet their needs for food and supplementing their income, but there is a more pressing need we would like to meet also and then give them the Gospel.

but for anyone wanting to supplement their income or for church planting pastors who don't have a lot of money these units are a great way to help supplement the income for food.

Fresh fish and vegetables. yum yum
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
but for anyone wanting to supplement their income or for church planting pastors who don't have a lot of money these units are a great way to help supplement the income for food.
I thought its "aqua-phonics"

I know two church-planting pastors. Will that work for them? I hope that works for me, too: I have "low budget, time constraints, lack of space"
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
I thought its "aqua-phonics"

I know two church-planting pastors. Will that work for them? I hope that works for me, too: I have "low budget, time constraints, lack of space"
Aqua phonics is how a Filipino pronounces it.

yes, it will work for anyone on a limited budget and resources. These units will fit on your balcony in a high rise down town Manila. it took around P5,000 to get it all set up. but I know you can do it for a little less.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Chette,

What a superb idea! I'm a gardener myself so the topic piqued my interest. I would probably get too attached to the fish to be able to eat them...unless I got hungry enough. I wonder if zucchini grow in your neck of the woods. They produce about 30 pounds per plant. Probably couldn't grow many in one of these aquaponic units. They sure love manure, though. I grew one plant last year in a pile of manure and it was one productive plant. How beautiful to have greens and fish growing right outside your house. I think it is a wonderful thing you're doing. I'm adding some pictures from the web:

Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 PM

I forgot to mention, what a tremendous opportunity to give the gospel to the people who attend your barrelponics seminars. May God bless you and your ministry!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Aqua phonics is how a Filipino pronounces it.

yes, it will work for anyone on a limited budget and resources. These units will fit on your balcony in a high rise down town Manila. it took around P5,000 to get it all set up. but I know you can do it for a little less.
It probably will work, though I know very little about fish or gardens.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Default Aquapoinics in a Barrel

Here is a picture of a barrelponics unit that Travis Hughey has on his site.

If anyone would like a manual I can send you a PDF copy. just remember Travis Hughey has the rights, especially to the flood valve mechanism. it was fun and frustrating to put it together but ours is working and I will put fish in it today.

Sammy the wonderful thing about aquaponic is that they are low maintenance and you don't have to know much

Last edited by chette777; 07-28-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Can you, please, send me a copy?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM

I sent one off to you Sammy
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 AM

Thanks, Brother Chette!
I'll show this to my men. (You know, gardening and fishing is not my line.)