Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Why the insistance...

...on keeping ALL the old archaic words from the KJV? For example, the word pisseth. As in urinates. Some things are offensive now that weren't then. Why not a text of the KJV that changes words like above and ye and thee?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 PM

First thing, we believe that every word of God is pure (Pro. 30:5) and to change even one of them is to disobey God's directives on the matter (Pro. 30:6, Rev. 22:19).

Secondly, it is the English language that has deteriorated, not the Words of God. Why should we degrade the words of the living God simply because today's graduates can hardly read?

Thirdly, those words are vital to understanding what a person was saying. "Thee" is different from "you," and "thou" is different from "you" as well. God never promised to preserve the "message" or the "meaning" of the Book: He promised to preserve the WORDS.

That's why we don't mess with the WORDS of God.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 PM

And "pisseth" is not "archaic". Also, if the politically correct people had their way, they would be changing all kinds of things, from "Ho" to "Father".

If you change even one word or letter of Scripture, you get in big trouble with the Spirit of Truth.

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you." (Deut. 4:2).

Every letter is important as it stands.

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:18).

Therefore, changing "pisseth" to "urineth" is as really as gross as changing "JEHOVAH" to "YHWH" or changing "black" to "white".
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM

And guys, please don't think I'm trying to be antagonistic. I just want to be sure I have the true Word of God.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 AM

Ok, so...the KJV is perfect as is. We shouldn't change it for any reason. Is that about right?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Re: "Why the insistance..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
...on keeping ALL the old archaic words from the KJV? For example, the word pisseth. As in urinates. Some things are offensive now that weren't then. Why not a text of the KJV that changes words like above and ye and thee?
Aloha buzzoff,

And who (what 50 "Christian scholars") would you trust to do just that? If the words of God are "offensive" to some - they ought to hear what's on TV and out in the streets of any city in the good ole U.S.A.

Read the Threads and Posts on this Forum (in regards to the King James Bible) for more information regarding your "concerns".

For example:
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...78&postcount=1
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...19&postcount=1

And there are literally hundreds more by several "learned men" on this Forum.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
That's a fair question my friend. Do you really think that's archaic? Because I hear any number of teenagers use some form of it every day here in 2009. So, it seems to me the KJV has managed to "stay with the times" without even trying...

Actually, many efforts have been made to modernize our KJV, perhaps you have heard of the RSV (Revised Standard Version)? According to Wiki, "The RSV posed the first serious challenge to the popularity of the KJV, aiming to be a readable and literally accurate modern English translation of the Bible. The intention was not only to create a clearer version of the Bible for the English-speaking church, but also to "preserve all that is best in the English Bible as it has been known and used through the centuries" and "to put the message of the Bible in simple, enduring words that are worthy to stand in the great Tyndale-King James tradition."

This is the typical marketing rhetoric we have heard year after year, and any KJV believer on this forum will recognize it. Unfortunately, when "Bible academics" get involved we can end up with confusing results like the one below...

Job 6:6 KJV: "Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?"

Job 6:6 RSV: Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the slime of the purslane?

Are you getting my point...?
By the way, I've been reading your prayer request thread, where you wrote you have never fully commited to Jesus. It takes a big heart to come on here and admit that. I want you to know I am praying for you and I want you to know you can trust that old KJV Bible, not only to save your soul but to help you in all of your life! The KJV is truly God's blueprint for success. May God richly bless you...

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 01-17-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Thank you Bro. Parrish. I definitely appreciate and need the prayers. And it's not that I think the KJV is in need of updating. I don't really know what my problem is. I think I still have a lot of confusion.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Dear Buzzoff, you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Instead of changing the words of the King James Bible to a less offensive and easier to understand version, what you need to do is get used to the language of the Bible, you need to learn what those "archaic" words mean, you need to take less offense at the words of God and remember that God is holy and righteous and did not say them in a derogatory way. Rather than change the Bible to meet the standards of men, every Christian is expected to raise their standard to meet the Bible, and for many of us that has meant being re-educated in the English of the KJB, which is a wonderful blessing and help in this life.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM

I know that I need to just settle down and realize I have THE Word of God in the KJB. I mean, God promised to preserve His Words. If so, it has to be perfectly preserved somewhere. All the evidence points to that being the KJB. And if the KJB is the perfectly preserved Word of God for us in English, if something differs from that--even a little--it is not the perfectly preserved Word of God. I know this in my head. It's just settling it in my heart. It's like salvation for me. It just seems to simple. It's very hard for me to understand that all I have to do is realize that I have sinned against God (which I do), and believe that Jesus is the only way to cover and pay for that sin. It seems to simple and easy for me. Same with the KJB. It seems to simplistic to think that the KJB really is the same Bible God penned by Moses, and Isaiah, and Matthew, and John, and Paul, etc. My thoughts are so getting in the way. I don't know how to get past these things!