General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:38 PM

My main Bible is an old Scofield Study Bible. I also purchased a hardcover Thompson's Chain Reference Bible at a used book store several years ago: it's a good addition to aid in my Bible study.

Back about five years ago, on impulse I purchased a Defenders' KJB, while Brother Hovind was visiting our church. It's in mint condition, not having been used much at all. I think the print in it is bigger than my Scofield, so I might switch over once my Scofield wears out.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Vendetta Ride

I use a plain old Oxford wide-margin, no notes; an Old Scofield, also from Oxford; and sometimes a Thompson. I have others, but those are the ones I use the most.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:11 AM

T.B.S. Comfort Print Text ( Black Letter, Amen! ) Leather

Open Bible (Thomas Nelson Pubs.) Leather

Cambridge Concord Reference Text (Black Letter, Amen! ) Leather

and a Cambridge Pocket N.T. (with the original box) in my coat pocket.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 AM
LeeM1023

Default Which KJV?

There are many choices here, and I've never settled on one particular edition. The Cambridge Concord is classic, but at 56 I'm finding the print a bit too small. The Cambridge "Presentation Reference" edition, which was originally called the "Turquoise", has very clear print and good references, but like all Cambridge Bibles it's way overpriced.

I like Thompson, but honestly find it hard to use on a daily basis. It's a little too cumbersome for me to be flipping around the numbered references.

I have an old Collins "Longprimer" concordance edition, black letter, which is probably close to my favorite. It was published in the 1940s.

But the Bible I keep by my bed and keep going back to is an edition published by World (the original World, when it was in Cleveland)--it's large print with in-verse references, printed on a velvety bright white paper . . . it has a terrible coated paper kind of artificial leather cover, but the text is the best I've found. (World was eventually sold to Collins, then the whole thing was sold to a company in Iowa . . . there are still some World Bibles on the market, but I'm not sure who makes them, and they're not the same quality as the old ones.)

Lee
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM1023 View Post
There are many choices here, and I've never settled on one particular edition. The Cambridge Concord is classic, but at 56 I'm finding the print a bit too small. The Cambridge "Presentation Reference" edition, which was originally called the "Turquoise", has very clear print and good references, but like all Cambridge Bibles it's way overpriced.

I like Thompson, but honestly find it hard to use on a daily basis. It's a little too cumbersome for me to be flipping around the numbered references.

I have an old Collins "Longprimer" concordance edition, black letter, which is probably close to my favorite. It was published in the 1940s.

But the Bible I keep by my bed and keep going back to is an edition published by World (the original World, when it was in Cleveland)--it's large print with in-verse references, printed on a velvety bright white paper . . . it has a terrible coated paper kind of artificial leather cover, but the text is the best I've found. (World was eventually sold to Collins, then the whole thing was sold to a company in Iowa . . . there are still some World Bibles on the market, but I'm not sure who makes them, and they're not the same quality as the old ones.)

Lee
Sadly, most of us are looking to Europe for well made Bibles (irony since Europe is more post-Christ than the USA) I had a friend who "dogged on me" for spending 120 bucks for an Allan's Bible....I had the last laugh, he needed a new Bible and bought a Nelson (I think) KJV, anyway, pages started coming out after 7 months. His Bible was about 50 bucks, do the math, YES, Allan, and Cambridge are pricey BUT, I am aware that good editions from these printers can hold up after 40 years of wear and tear.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 AM

Ta,

Quote:
Sadly, most of us are looking to Europe for well made Bibles
Maybe you need to look in the USA my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Home

Local Church Bible Publishers build a wonderful Bible. If you ever need a new Bible get it from them. Ask anyone, they are of the very best quality. if you want a Scofield Bible they have them from $40.00 to $50.00 and all of them are 100% genuine leather. You just can not beat this deal my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Bibles/Study.htm

Atlas
Old 11-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Ta,

Maybe you need to look in the USA my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Home

Local Church Bible Publishers build a wonderful Bible. If you ever need a new Bible get it from them. Ask anyone, they are of the very best quality. if you want a Scofield Bible they have them from $40.00 to $50.00 and all of them are 100% genuine leather. You just can not beat this deal my friend.

http://lcbplansing.org/Bibles/Study.htm

Atlas
Little late. I have my Allan's, the thing is so well made that it should be my "friend" for another forty years.........unless I jump into swimming pool with it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Well, I obviously own a King James Version (if not I wouldn't be here), but I don't know how good my edition is. So maybe you guys could enlighten me on how good my Bible edition is. I use a 1611 Edition published by Hendrickson Publishers. My Bible is supposed to be just like the original 1611 Edition and has side notes and a small summary of every chapter at the beginning of each chapter. I bought it at allbibles.com at U$ 55.00. So, what do you say?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Thumbs up 1611 reprint,very cool!

As Bibleprotector has stated, it is the reprint of the 1611 Edition that was first made in 1833. i have that same 1611 reprint from hendricksons,without the original gothic text,and really enjoy reading it.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Well...my first Thompson (a gift) is about 50 years old, tremendously well used, and for all intents and purposes, seems like it's tougher than a 2 dollar steak. A couple of years ago, God let me buy a top of the line TCR (leather, large print, thumb index) from Kirkbride and there is a real difference in the quality that I can see compared to other Bibles. Better leather and paper, nice type, just amazing. Since it goes everywhere with me I keep it in a cover so I think that will keep it from too much destruction. I am 54 so I expect it will be my final main gun.