Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 AM
ericwgreene

Default Any GCBI folks here?

GCBI was the catalyst to me leaving KJV-onlyism. Are there any folks here who have taken classes from them?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Any GCBI folks here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
GCBI was the catalyst to me leaving KJV-onlyism.

How so?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM
ericwgreene

When I first started the program I was very excited. I did all of the work and got A's on everything. I completed Unit 1 (3 months of course work) and then began Unit 2. At first as I did the work, I genuinely thanked God almost daily for giving me such an excellent opportunity to study the Bible, I was truly grateful. But as the lessons continued on into Unit 2, I began to notice something. Dr. Tabb in his material began to cherry pick Bible verses or claim a Bible verse meant something that it clearly could not mean. Essentially, he had a preconceived theology and used the Bible to support it rather then study the Bible and have his theology develop from it. I felt as though this man was not teaching what the Bible said but rather was using the Bible to teach what he wanted it to say.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM

While I agree that is wrong, how does this affect the KJV being the perfect word of God?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
ericwgreene

Its like a line of dominoes. One falls, the rest fall. I began to come to the conclusion that most of the proofs supporting KJV-onlyism really were not sound.

For example, Psalms 12:6,7 only suggests that God will preserve His Word. They do not identify how or what. To use those as a proof text for KJV-onlyism is to do what Dr. Tabb did. Read more into the verse than what is there.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM

Only to those who determine God hasn't, or it hasn't been discovered. If He preserved it then it's still preserved and perfect. We know that the modern perversions are not it, since they can't even agree with one another, let alone historical church doctrine. That leaves us with the KJB. Simple elimination. Are there others based on the same texts? A few, but if there are still areas they don't agree in, then I must ask, why do we need to change from the tried and true and believe them?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
ericwgreene

Why not the Geneva Bible? Why not just the underlying Textus Receptus text? Could that be the preserved word and then from there we create translations for people to read in other languages?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Of coarse you could do that. The problem is that God set brought up the right people, at the right time, and gave them the right knowledge, to be able to translate His word accurately and perfectly. I would venture to say that without divine intervention once again to do it in another language, such a group of people does not exist today.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 PM
ericwgreene

this is a strong assertion "The problem is that God set brought up the right people, at the right time, and gave them the right knowledge, to be able to translate His word accurately and perfectly."

Prove it.

Why were the Greek scholars of old better than the ones today? Would you rather a medical doctor from the 17th century or one today? Why was it the right time? What right knowledge did they have that we do not have today?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Do some research on the scholars. They were a group that makes nearly any group of translators today seem much like a novice in their work.

Once again, you demand proof. The proof is given by the Holy Spirit to those who will accept it, and between the covers of that precious Book.