Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Is Bible College/Institute necessary?

Ok here it goes...

Before I learned to Rightly Divide my Bible I was checking out several different Bible institutes and colleges so that I could gain a better understanding of my Bible.

After I did learn to rightly divide my King James Bible I come to realize that (IMHO)all formal Bible education does is teach you how to take a non-rightly divided Bible and make it fit the doctrine that the "brethren" believe.

I have heard people from many different denominations profess to get the doctrines they believe from the Bible and only the Bible. They will even show you where and yes it is all scripture (wrongly divided, but scripture).

I eventually came to realize ...Why would God give us a Bible that one needs a formal education to understand?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Is Bible College/Institute necessary?

Absolutely not!

Many blessed preachers have never graced the doors of a bible college or anything like it, to preach is a calling from God, some men have the gift some don't and its not like a certificate can earn that right. I know there are some KJB only colleges and that is commendable, but anything else I believe will only lead to the straying away from God's Word and adoption of alexandrian versions and philosophy. My previous Church had a decent preacher, he could reach out, but he wouldn't embrace any bible as the inerrant Word of God and he said that this was because of what he was taught in bible college.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM
ericwgreene

Throughout the scriptures the usefulness of teachers and the requirement of ministers to be able to teach is made plain. Therefore, it would be safe to assume that ministers are to teach somebody nor merely teach empty seats. If God saw no benefit in the saints learning from gifted teachers why spend so much time on the topic of teaching in the scriptures? Secondly, consider Proverbs 11:14:

Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

Are not the written works of those whom the Holy Spirit has guided in past beneficial to us today? Is there not safety in Biblical interpretation when we compare our interpretations with those who have come before us?

Unfortunately, all of us have proceeded with the same ignorance that we will read the scriptures as God intended without preconceived assumptions. Therefore we errantly conclude that all those who came before us must have had an agenda. We make these judgments assuming that we are a capable final judge on the motives of those who studied before us. Granted there are right and wrong interpretations, but we must be careful that we do not hold ourselves above others in such a prideful and arrogant manner.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Is Bible College/Institute necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
Throughout the scriptures the usefulness of teachers and the requirement of ministers to be able to teach is made plain. Therefore, it would be safe to assume that ministers are to teach somebody nor merely teach empty seats. If God saw no benefit in the saints learning from gifted teachers why spend so much time on the topic of teaching in the scriptures? Secondly, consider Proverbs 11:14:

Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

Some do have the ability to teach better than others, but college to teach a babe in Christ?...No....and a person that is saved and rightly divides their Bible has little need to be taught only the need to study, teach others(babes) and show others the way of salvation

Are not the written works of those whom the Holy Spirit has guided in past beneficial to us today? Is there not safety in Biblical interpretation when we compare our interpretations with those who have come before us?When you have a Bible..why do I need to read how someone else interpreted Gods Word, I have two eyes I will read it myself. If you rightly divide the scripture there is only one interpretation.

Unfortunately, all of us have proceeded with the same ignorance that we will read the scriptures as God intended without preconceived assumptions. Therefore we errantly conclude that all those who came before us must have had an agenda. Or did not rightly divide the scriptures We make these judgments assuming that we are a capable final judge on the motives of those who studied before us.Don't know their motives and frankly don't care, if you wrongly divide scripture you are wrong. Granted there are right and wrong interpretations, but we must be careful that we do not hold ourselves above others in such a prideful and arrogant manner.
Not ourselves..God's Word
Old 09-18-2008, 04:57 PM
ericwgreene

You wrote "if you wrongly divide scripture you are wrong"

By what standard do you determine if a person has wrongly divided the scripture?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 PM
ericwgreene

You wrote: "wrongly divide scripture you are wrong"

By what standard do you judge this?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM

Applying Old Testament and/or tribulational doctrine to the church today. Any more detail will take a lot more room than I am prepared to do in this forum. Although I will do it over the phone.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 AM
ericwgreene

Do you at least understand the point of my question? Christians can have an honest debate about the hermaneutic applied to Scripture. I don't say that from the position of everyone is right because clearly some hermaneutics are valid and some invalid. Some are right and some are wrong. One of the goals of a Bible College is to help people understand hermaneutics so that they can understand the Scriptures correctly.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Bible colleges teach a student to divide the scriptures to align with the schools doctrinal standpoint not necessarily with the truth. When you have so many different schools teaching different interpretations of what God seems to be having such a "hard time saying clearly",you cause correct interpretation to be a matter of viewpoint rather than thus saith the Lord.

As far as honest debate I have seen little in the last twelve years that actually changed someones mind. If a person is backed into a corner they have a wealth of different text or various tenses and meanings of the "original autographs" to justify their viewpoint.

I do see what you are saying.

Last edited by swordsman; 09-19-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: did not finsih
Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
wwjd.usa

I have many friends from different denominations. One of my friends is from a charismatic denomination. He invited me to come to his church, in order to attend a college level Bible study. So I went, and this is what was taught at a COLLEGE LEVEL Bible study:

Revelation 3:15-16
"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot."
"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

The preacher explained this verse and said, "To be cold, means to worship God by standing still and singing quietly. To be hot means to worship God by dancing extremely. Lukewarm mean to worship God by dancing a little bit."

Then the preacher said something to this extent, "Therefore, when we have a worship service, we need to be hot, and dance as much as possible."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised how brainwashed people were in that class.
Can you believe that people are actually receiving college credit by learning the above material?