Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Default 1 Cor 5

It makes a lot of sense Amanda!

I have also seen it where an act of gross immorality gets consolidated to such an extent that the brother or sister who comes along with true spiritually restoring compassion gets rejected as the legalist. Tears and emotion are not always the true sign of spiritual sorrow, they can often be the result of the person’s regret of being found out. Now in Corinth it is the case that the guy was lead to repentance as a result of Paul’s harsh rebuke (but that was for the good of the entire assembly). To be handed over to satan is quite a serious matter!

A smile, a hug or a listening ear alone aren’t always true acts of love, as these things can often be the obstacles that stops any spiritual maturity from taking place on the offender’s part and eventually result in preventing the leaven from ever getting purged out. Before you know it – the followers of Christ are suddenly found to be in the minority within their won church!

When we consider the cost of our salvation that it took Christ (who had no sin) to suffer the righteous wrath and indignation of God as the only possible way to save our souls (whilst maintaining His justice). Then this not only shows how seriously God treats sin it also shows how central to our existence (as a church) this act is. So in order to communicate the fundamental heart of the gospel message to a lost world, the integrity of the body of people who are representing that truth is of extreme importance in accomplishing this.

Many people today preach the gospel of acceptance “God loves you and has a wonderful plane for your life and accepts you just as you are” (which is partly true and yet so erroneous at the same time that it is an extremely dangerous foundation from which appeal). The first century church proclaimed a Jesus that made people appeal to God for acceptance, as many today are preaching a message where God is appealing to people for acceptance.

The truth of the matter is that people firstly need to accept Jesus as He truly is before they start making claims of adherence! It is not all about “the unaware” accepting Jesus, it is all about Jesus accepting them!

Too many today are labelling themselves as believers when in truth they don’t actually believe the truths that they claim to believe!

It is important to remember that the first century believers didn’t go around giving themselves titles – they were given them because of what they believed!

Acts.11: “….And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.”

In other words they earned the name (even if it were in a disparaging way) they didn’t have to produce one for themselves!

Now, no believer (or any, as a matter of fact) is perfect, but I do believe that we are the evidence of what we believe. When a “little leaven” is spotted by “those who are spiritual” it is an act of love to restore such a one, firstly because of Christ’s love for them and secondly because of the testimony of the rest of those who may be tarnished by their wanderings.

But if a brother is exposed to be false by the world then that does more damage than can possibly be imagined. For instance when you look at some of the tele evangelists that have been exposed by the media as frauds or adulterers how quick are the world to jump on us when they hear of it?

The testimony of the church is vital to the success of its mission. People are not fools, they know the genuine article when they see it, and even if they reject it they do so knowing that they don’t want it. And those who accept it can rest assured that they've found it!

God bless

PaulB
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Now fornication!? THAT's the big sin...Drunkard...that one too. But covetous?! Nope, never ever heard that a brother was "put away from" the brethren for being covetous...A railer? I've known quite a few in my lifetime...never once saw them turned away from fellowship.

Anyway, I certainly would feel unqualified to put away someone that was covetous!?
I realize that I am coming late to the party, but I have enjoyed reading the responses thus far. Please allow me to add just a few of my thoughts.

It is my opinion that Paul's list is not all-inclusive. He has not limited our actions to be bound to these few sins. I believe Paul is making reference to "habitual" sins. If a brother is bound to any sin and does not seem to respond to efforts to help him get victory over his sin, then he must be dealt with accordingly, as Paul states.

Regarding categorizing sins, it seems that there is a progression in the Word of God.

Ps 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

If we can reach a brother before he slips into the deeper sins, we have a more likely chance to restore him to fellowship. It is clear that some sins carry a greater earthly consequence than other sins. It is also clear that God deals with certain sins differently as well. One has only to look at the awful consequences faced by Ananias and Sapphira for lying, compared to King David for committing what, humanly speaking, are much greater sins.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM

all to true brother Presswood.

Good to see you back
Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Wonderful, wonderful points Bro. Presswood! I will share them with the husband in the morning!
Thank you and you are NOT late to the party. It's just getting started!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 PM

I would like to share with you all what is in my foot notes of my Common Man's Reference Bible...It voices my thoughts and views:

The Corinthian church probably justified their "compassion" by stating they were not under the law, but under grace. True grace teaches holiness and standards

Titus 2:11-1511 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

The steps to church discipline are explained in the footnote of Matthew 18:15. When a sinful person is officially barred from the church, all of the believers are to pray for the shunned individual. In this case the man repented and returned to the church -

2 Corinthians 2:5-11 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Sis Amanda,

I wanted to add something about COVETOUSNESS. You had said that you didn't think anyone had been "put away" from the brethren for this sin. It is a crucial "turning point" sin because, before anything else much more grievous happens, what occurs first? COVETING.

I think COVETING is another way of saying LUST. But it is having that desire for something that isn't ours.

If someone were to commit adultery, what did they do first? They LUSTED and COVETED (like David with Bathsheba) he saw her, the wife of another man, and he lusted after her and coveted her. He couldn't have her because she was the wife of another man. So what did that lust and coveting lead to? Not only ADULTERY, but MURDER.

If someone were to commit theft, what did they do first? They LUSTED and COVETED - it was something that did not belong to them... they COVETED it, so then they decided to steal it. One thing leads to another.

Think of the ORIGINAL SIN OF ADAM AND EVE. Eve saw the fruit, she desired it - she LUSTED for it - and then she committed the sin of disobedience by eating it and then offering it to her husband to eat also.

I think that James describes the relationship of coveting as a sin related with the more grievous sins.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man that is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

Jassy
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Sister Jassy,

Preach it sista! J/K but you DO bring out a wonderful truth. I guess I hadn't thought it out that far yet!!

Even Satan knew this. Consider:

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Satan knew he was hungry and tempted him to covet food, then again tempted him to covet by looking at the glory and riches of the kingdoms below...

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Sis Amanda,

Yes, Satan knows to tempt us in our weaknesses. The human weaknesses are very apparent to Satan. Another thing you just brought out is that Jesus quoted from the Scriptures to defeat Satan. And that's what we are to do also - because the WORD is the SWORD of God - it is how we defeat Satan.

Satan can't stand against the Word of God (Jesus) because the Word of God (Jesus) has already defeated him! Jesus defeated Satan by His death and resurrection and His promise to do the same for all believers.

The REAL sin happens when we DON'T believe or REFUSE to believe the Word of God. Disbelief is what will keep many out of heaven.

Jassy