Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
lei-kjvonly

Default A question I have no answer for....

Hey guys I've come across some people that use the following verse to prove the KJV has errors in it:

Deu 8:9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.

They have told me that there is no way to dig brass out of a mountain. Brass is a mixture of two minerals, copper and zinc. They use this to say that the translators made an error here. I don't necessarily know what the verse is "supposed to say" according to them.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the issue! Thanks guys.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-01-2008, 03:14 AM
ploughboy

Default hummmm.

Where do the minerals copper and zink come from?

ploughboy
Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 PM
fundy

Deu 8:7 For the LORD thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;
Deu 8:8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;
Deu 8:9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.

Obviously the production of brass and iron was the intended end result of the mining that was able to be carried out in the hills, just as the bread, barley, vines, olive oil etc were to be available as the results of the farming that it was possible to carry out.

Usually all that has to be done when a "problem" like this arises is to read the surrounding verses, sit and think about what is written and pray for God to show you the meaning.

God wants us to think about his words.

1Ti 4:15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

Fundy
Old 03-02-2008, 09:39 PM
lei-kjvonly

thanks alot for that post fundy. That really helped out alot. I guess, as you said, I should have been able to figure that out for myself.

lei-kjvonly
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 AM
fundy

Default Sorry

Hi Lei-kjvonly,

Sorry, I didnt mean for my post to sound as arrogant as it did. I certainly didnt mean to imply that you should have been able to work out the answer yourself.

The touble with email communication is that it doesnt allow the tone of the conversation to be heard the same way as if we were talking face to face.

Anyway, i'm glad the answer helped.

Fundy.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 AM
againstheresies

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundy View Post
Deu 8:7 For the LORD thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;
Deu 8:8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;

Obviously the production of brass and iron was the intended end result of the mining that was able to be carried out in the hills, just as the bread, barley, vines, olive oil etc were to be available as the results of the farming that it was possible to carry out.

Usually all that has to be done when a "problem" like this arises is to read the surrounding verses, sit and think about what is written and pray for God to show you the meaning.

God wants us to think about his words.

1Ti 4:15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

Fundy
Or you could look up the word in Strong’s Concordance (5178) and see that the primary meaning of the Hebrew word “nechosheth” is copper ore and the secondary meaning is bronze. Words have a range of meaning and usage ultimately determines the meaning. Translators make choices about how to translate words and there are a number of issues that influence their decision.

The KJV translators were not inspired. Sometimes they made bad choices partly because of the information available to them in the 17th Century. For example, in Deuteronomy 33:17 in the KJV they chose “unicorns” for the word "reem" which means "wild ox" (BDB, 910b). Further “reem” in this passage is singular not plural. It is not necessarily an error to have brass in Deuteronomy 8:9 but copper is the more likely meaning of the word “nechosheth” in this context as it fits the idea of “out of whose hills you can dig” better than brass. If you wanted to choose the secondary meaning here (not sure why) then bronze would certainly be better than brass.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Here is an illustration of someone using Strong's incorrect definitions to attempt to corrupt the meanings of King James Bible words, and to attempt to justify the suggestion other wordings in rejection of the Scripture perfectly present in English.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:16 AM
againstheresies

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
Here is an illustration of someone using Strong's incorrect definitions to attempt to corrupt the meanings of King James Bible words, and to attempt to justify the suggestion other wordings in rejection of the Scripture perfectly present in English.
On what grounds do you reject Strong’s???

I know it is a bit simplified to do a thorough word study, however I mentioned Strong’s because it is more suitable for the layman who has not had the opportunity to study Hebrew and would have difficulty conducting a word study in Hebrew. Any Hebrew-English lexicon will do. BDB agrees with Strong’s.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
lei-kjvonly

I personally am not for using alot of Greek commentaries, because God didn't inspire the commentary just His Word. Therefore those commentaries could have errors themselves. When somone starts practicing that habit, then they tend to trust the commentary over the Bible and that is just wrong. I believe that the best commentary on the Bible is the Bible.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
lei-kjvonly

Hey fundy,

Just wanted to let you know that you didn't come across in an arrogant fashion. It was just convicting that's all. Don't worry no apology is needed, although I do appreciate the concern.

lei-kjvonly